DECOYS!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
fasteddie

RE: DECOYS!

Postby fasteddie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:14 pm

I have used my MacKenzi 3D with mixed results . I have put out a Renzo doe decoy and it spooks the does . They will avoid it . Never had a buck come in to the Renzo .........

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:48 am

I used my new Montana 2D buck decoy this past weekend. With it I was able to rattle in a nice buck. It set up fast, the only thing is every once in a while I had to remember it was a decoy lol, It looks so real.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:54 am

I have used my 3d target. RiverBottom Buck. Take anlters off about the size of small doe. Really no success with it cause have not used it much. Kinda of a pain to carry into filed when you're trying to be sneaky.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Several years ago I set up my MacKenzi target 20 yards form my stand near the edge of a woods overlooking a grass field . A couple doe were out about 120 yards and made a bee line to the decoy . Dropped the bigger one .
Another time I had a 6 point come to the decoy . One of my sister in laws horses ran up to the fence , whinnied and the buck took off down the field ,
Some deer just shy away from the decoy .................

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:03 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

I used my new Montana 2D buck decoy this past weekend. With it I was able to rattle in a nice buck. It set up fast, the only thing is every once in a while I had to remember it was a decoy lol, It looks so real.

I thought about the Montana but didn't see it as something that would really work...How does it look when it's set up?  Pretty life-like?

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:20 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

ORIGINAL: mag30079

I thought about the Montana but didn't see it as something that would really work...How does it look when it's set up?  Pretty life-like?

Very life like, I like them because
1. each decoy only weighs a 1lb.
2. I can fold it up like a pop up blind and put it in my back pack. One other thing I learned on this forum from other guys that use them. Because its only 2D the deer will loose sight of it and continue to circle until the decoy can be seen again.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:59 pm

ive heard the same thing about the 2-d dekes. right now i have deltas version. its a big thing to carry in but its not too bad. considering i probably only hunt over it 5 or 6 times a year. its pretty quiet and sets up easy. this year i plan to deploy it as a bedded doe so it'll set up even easier. ive had several deer come to it, one decent 8. he eventualy realized something was wrong but it took him about a minute and he offered some good shots while he was making up his mind. like any other tactic they will work at the right time when used properly but they are not a magic link to quick sure success. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

mojo

Postby mojo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 pm

I also use 1 cheap 3D target but I usually will leave it out in the woods most of the season. I will stash it inside my ground blind or hide it under some brush and branches close to my stand until I want to use it.

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:18 am

I was wondering if using a decoy inside the woods would have a good outcome?  I heard they are better for fields and such, but I hunt mainly in the woods, so anybody had good experience with this?

ironmike

Postby ironmike » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 am

I have never try using a deer decoy for hunting  it sound like fun I will try it out what do
i have to lose.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions