Game farm buck

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

RE: Game farm buck

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:04 am

For me, any time that the outcome of a hunt can be arranged so that success is guaranteed, then it ceases to become a "hunt", and the people who are doing it are not "hunters". Shooters, maybe, but not, IMO, hunters.

I occasionally go bird hunting for stocked pheasants with a friend, and while it's fun to do, I consider it pheasant SHOOTING, and not pheasant HUNTING, or at least the kind of hunting I used to have on wild birds.

There are times when I would rather go there and just shoot a round of sporting clays, and then go into the pen where the birds I've paid for are, wring their necks, and takethem home to eat. Much less messy, no shot to clean out, and better eating. If it weren't for watching the dog work, then I probably wouldn't do it at all.

I'm NOT saying that this should be illegal. Not at all, as long as they take ethical shots and the like. But IMO, it's not HUNTING.

You bought an animal that you are going to slaughter. No more, no less.

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:16 am

Have to agree with woodswalker on this one. Enter a game farm animal in a record book? I can't even believe this is a question.

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 am

I agree too!!  Farm bucks don't belong in the prestigious books of P&Y or B&C.  I also agree with most everyone about hunting inside fences.  Some farms are so small, have so many deer, and take so much of your money, it's like shooting fish in a barrel!  However, I've also done a little reading about this and realize that there are some large areas (500+ acres) that are fenced; low fence to control tresspassing and poaching.  Some "ranches" spend tons of money developing food-plots and maintaining water sources and with the economy, they must do something to protect their investments.

Everyone has their own definitions and beliefs!  What is a "Deer Farm"?  Where is the line between a farm and a ranch?  If the animals are free to move around without the hinderance of a fence or other man-made obstacle?  If the animals have enough area (how much?) to get away from pressure?

My opinion (for what its worth) is that an area can be fenced as long as it is large enough to provide sufficient natural habitat (water, food, cover, and travel routes) to where the animals do not ack unnatural due to the fence.  Large areas can be managed with the appropriate number of animals and commom sense hunting.

If I had to vote (oh no! Here we go again) NO to letting penned deer into the books.  But I wouldn't be so quick to denounce all fenced operations.

You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:57 am

while i agree animals killed behind a high fence operation have no business in the same record books as fair chase game....

I believe some are going way to far as to equate all high fence operations as merely slaughter houses.  I GUARANTEE you i could place you in the middle of many of these operations and the outcome to your hunt would be no more certain than in many fair chase scenarios (NOT ALL, some are very small and i too would equate them to mere slaughter)

The existence of a fence does not mean deer are herded past you, it means the animals are contained to manipulate genes, sex ratio, herd density, nutrition, etc.  These are the same things many attempt to do in fair chase scenarios, but with much less overall control.  That is the reason P&Y and B&C should never include these animals (not apples to apples so to speak), but not a reason to eliminate game farms or criticize those who hunt on them even though many of us, myself included, would not pay money to do this.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:23 pm

manipulate genes,

You can not do this without a fence!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:18 am

fair chase only

Previous

Return to General Discussions