Field Dressing

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
cjgaleana

Field Dressing

Postby cjgaleana » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew any good sites with videos on how to field dress or tips they know that could help me out. Thanks.

mag30079

RE: Field Dressing

Postby mag30079 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:37 am

Here's a good site;
http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/deer_field-dressing.pdf
Sorry there's no video but this is well writen.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:18 am

. . . first you start with a loaf of bread, a pound of butter, 1 large onion, and a large clove of garlic. 

Field dressing is one my favorites.

Sorry, it was just the best line I could think of.  I'm out the door to deer camp.

Later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:52 am

You can also go to www.eckrich.org. it has step by step instructions on field dressing, and also butchering, in case you want to do cut your own deer (it's really not that hard). good luck to ya

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:01 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

. . . first you start with a loaf of bread, a pound of butter, 1 large onion, and a large clove of garlic. 

Field dressing is one my favorites.

Sorry, it was just the best line I could think of.  I'm out the door to deer camp.

Later.

Dude you crack me up!  You Tube has a bunch of videos, but quite honestly the quaility is not good enough (or close enough) to discern what they are doing.  The two links provided look really good though.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:33 am

Some random thoughts on field dressing:

It is not has daunting a task as it first seems.

If you will ultimately end up where a hose is available, do not worry about all the contamination horror stories. Your main goal is to get it empty and start it cooling off.

The Butt Out tool of late is interesting, and I have seen it used up close. I have no problems with it but I'm not interested in carrying yet another gadget. Your choice.

Roll the animal as far on to its back as possible with the head-end uphill as much as possible.

Take your hands as if you were doing CPR and press hard onto the animals lower abdomen just above the pelvic bone. Lean right on it. This should help empty the bladder and maybe any residual raisinets in the lower colon.

I'm assuming you've done this before so I won't waste time with incisions,etc. You said you were looking for tips.

If you haven't split many pelvic bones, it can be easily done with just a small pocket knife, provided you get it in the right spot and kneel on both hind legs.  Splitting the pelvis is important IMO. It aids in cooling and provides a clear inspection for anything that doesn't belong there.

When you get home, hang head up at least initially, for better rinsing and draining.

If high temps are 40 or above, don't let it hang.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:49 am

Field dressing is pretty simply, a Google search will turn up all kinds of information. 

If you have a gut hook on a knife, use it, makes opening them up about like pulling a zipper.  Also, work with a sharp knife, it will make the job much easier.

If you're going to have the head mounted though, my rule of thumb is to stop my cut at the breastbone, that will leave plenty for the cape.  If I don't plan to have the deer mounted I cut through the breastbone, just makes it easier to get to the esophagus and windpipe.

A small saw also helps to cut through the pelvic bone if you go that route.

If you puncture the stomach, intestines or bladder, wash the area with water if you have it.

Best of luck, after you do your first the rest will seem easy. 

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I'll have the chance to get one and be able to use the tips.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:53 am

If you will ultimately end up where a hose is available, do not worry about all the contamination horror stories. Your main goal is to get it empty and start it cooling off.

A buddy of mine has a couple gallon milk jugs of water he keeps in his truck.  Helps to quickly rinse out the body cavity..and so you can clean yourself up after field dressing...some of you may do this already but being the newb that i am it never occured to me to do this, thankfully i had someone with me the first time i field dressed.

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Yes, a jug of water is a very good idea. The sooner you can rinse the cavity the better. Another thing I carry is, a hand full of baby wipes in a ziplock bag, makes for easy cleanup after the fact(no, not the deer, you). And as Ranwin said, make sure you have a 'sharp' knife!

Next

Return to General Discussions