Butt Out Tool?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Big Buck Daddy

Butt Out Tool?

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:57 pm

I've seen it in catalogs but I'm curous.  Does the "Butt Out Tool" really work?
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

Archery_NUT

RE: Butt Out Tool?

Postby Archery_NUT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 pm

i to have been curious to how this works
i see it wal-mart all the time but really have never been inclined to buy it
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:20 pm

It works pretty slick most of the time . I made a video with my son when we got a doe with a Crop Damage Permit ...........

http://i271.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/parker-bows/ButtOutTool.flv">

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks for the video fasteddie!!!  Nice to see something in action in order to help make a decision to buy something!  Heaven only knows how much stuff I've bought in the past without knowing if it was going to work or not!!

Thanks again!!!
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:10 pm

Yeah looks like it's rather slick...

Heres one on the blood lights from walmart..THEY DONT WORK. A buddy of mine bought one for 14.99 said it was junk and u could see the blood in white light better.Just thought Id throw that out there, incase anyone was wondering on those as well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:40 pm

I've never used one, but I know folks that have, and they say it works as well as it's advertised to. I don't doubt this, as it's pretty darn simple and the design is straightforward.

My only issue with it is that it's a single purpose tool, who's job I've been doing for decades with a knife that has many other uses besides. I like to go as multi-function as possible!

And you can add to the list of "things that don't work", the heat-sensing game tracking devices!  A COMPLETE waste of $$$$!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:06 pm

While I have no doubt that it works, I just never had all that much problem removing the anus.  Once the pelvis is split, I just grab hold of the rectum and pull, using the knife to separate.

Probably at one point in my hunting career, I would have glommed onto it, but that was back when I carried three knives a saw and a hatchet to clean my deer.  Now I'm down to 1 knife and a saw, and I've come close a couple of times, getting in a hurry, and once the saw is in my hand, finishing the deer with just that.  It's messy, but fast. 

I'm also one of these guys who cleans my deer head-up.  One of the benefits of that is that the pooper is always pointing down instead of back into the carcass.   Everything seems to just fall out the way it should into the gut bucket.   

I took my friend, recently moved from Long Island, to visit a BassPro store.  He was thinking of going deer hunting for the first time.  This guy is ultra-fastidious to the point of being a tad OC.  Everything went fine until I showed him the Butt Out tool on sale for $8. 

"You do what???"

He has not asked to go hunting again.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:46 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

I'm also one of these guys who cleans my deer head-up.  One of the benefits of that is that the pooper is always pointing down instead of back into the carcass.   Everything seems to just fall out the way it should into the gut bucket.   

Do you mean that you hoist your deer by the head b/f gutting them?

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:28 am

The butt out tool is very handy. It works like a charm on anything but fawns. Ive had problems with it when usin g it on doe fawns but it really saves a lot of time on older deer. Very much worth the ten or fifteen bucks they get for it. SS66

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:43 am

I took my friend, recently moved from Long Island, to visit a BassPro store. He was thinking of going deer hunting for the first time. This guy is ultra-fastidious to the point of being a tad OC. Everything went fine until I showed him the Butt Out tool on sale for $8.

"You do what???"

He has not asked to go hunting again.

LOL!  I had a similar experience years ago when I hunted ducks a lot.  Many of the guys who were members the duck club I was in (and myself) liked to gut the ducks in the field, rather than let them sit all day.

We had a new fellow to hunting, and he was wanting to know the easiest, best way to do it. We could tell that he wasn't too keen on getting his hands dirty, as he kept talking about buying a gut hook device that you supposedly just insert in the ducks anal vent, twist, and then the entrails are supposed to come out that way. One of his friends told him to ask me how I did it, as I was going to be hunting with him that morning.

We shot a few birds, and then at about 10 am we decided to go back and get some coffee at the shack. We walked to the pond bank, and then he asked me to show him. I said sure, and then I went slow to demonstate. I held the duck where the neck joins the body, cut a slit just under the breast bone, pulled the duck apart some, reached up inside with my other hand all the way up to the inside of the chest cavity, and then ripped everything out...crop, lungs, intestines...and then put the glob in the weeds.

"You....you....DON'T use a gut hook?", he said with a shocked look on his face.

"No", I replied. "I find that a gut HAND works a whole lot faster."

He then asked me what I do next.

"I rinse a little water in the body cavity, rinse my hands off, and then EAT A SANDWICH!!!"

That's when he started to turn green!

What's funny about this, is that I know of several seasoned hunters, who while having no qualms about gutting deer, get almost nauseated when they have to do birds. I always volunteer to do the chore for them, especially if I have birds of my own that I have to get dirty for anyway. This way I always get offered an extra bird or two, which I am  more than pleased to take, as I just love to eat wild duck (the ones that feed in crop fields  anyway), and upland birds.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions