Butt Out Tool?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

RE: Butt Out Tool?

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:48 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: shaman

I'm also one of these guys who cleans my deer head-up.  One of the benefits of that is that the pooper is always pointing down instead of back into the carcass.   Everything seems to just fall out the way it should into the gut bucket.   

Do you mean that you hoist your deer by the head b/f gutting them?

I thought that too. It seems to be a southern custom. There's some guys that come up from South Carolina and Georgia who hunt my buddy's other farms that do that. Or I should say they DID that before they had to drag some 240+ pound Illinois deer back to camp. That, and the fact that my farmer friend told them that if they did that, then they'd also have to haul the guts right back out to where they got the deer and then leave them there!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:54 am

The Butt Out Tool is multi-purpose . In the summertime you can use it for a Pop-cicle Stick ! Image  Image

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:05 am

I would have no use for this, once the pelvis is split everything comes out easy.
No Sacrifice, No Victory!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:39 am

Agreed, seems like more trouble than it's worth.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:30 am

Seems like a waste of money to me.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:39 am

LMAO Frozen deer poopy!
ORIGINAL: fasteddie

The Butt Out Tool is multi-purpose . In the summertime you can use it for a Pop-cicle Stick ! Image  Image
Venison - the other red meat

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:49 am

Is that going to be Ben & Jerry's new November Flavor of the Month?[:D]
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:58 am

ORIGINAL: Big Buck Daddy

I've seen it in catalogs but I'm curous.  Does the "Butt Out Tool" really work?

[font=tahoma]I got the "Butt Out Tool" as a gag gift in my stocking from my mother-in-law a few Christmas' ago.  I decided to try it and it works AWESOME!!!  I will always carry one in my pack.[/font] 
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:29 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: shaman

I'm also one of these guys who cleans my deer head-up.  One of the benefits of that is that the pooper is always pointing down instead of back into the carcass.   Everything seems to just fall out the way it should into the gut bucket.   

Do you mean that you hoist your deer by the head b/f gutting them?

Yes,  I just wrap a chain around the neck, right under the skull and hoist away.  I do that on all deer I'm not expecting to send to the taxidermist. Yes, it probably is a Southern thing. The guy who got me started doing it was from Alabama. If you do it right, just after you cut the esophagus and trachea, the whole set of innards starts falling out. You use the weight of the innards to do most of the work, and the last thing left is the anus attached to the hide pointing out.  It's fast.

In the evening, there's a bonus to getting things done as quickly as possible.  If I can have the carcass to the processor by 7PM, I don't have to wait until the next morning.  Sundown right now is around 5:30, and it's about a 20 minute drive.  I usually call for a pickup in the truck, flop it on the back, and hoist it out on the meatpole as soon as I can.   From bang-flop to processor in under an hour is doable for me-- tricky, but doable.

As to what happens to the guts, we cart the gut bucket  out to a spot in the middle of the pasture behind the house.  Sometimes in 20 minutes they're gone-- nothing but a wet spot on the grass.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 am

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I still am a little uncertain why it would be better than filed dressing, in which I always try to keep the head uphill, but I've never tried it either.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions