Do you believe in the Rut prediction by moon phase ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
duckunder

Do you believe in the Rut prediction by moon phase ?

Postby duckunder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:54 am

Just wondering what everyone believes triggers the Rut ?   I am takeing my vacation the same as always here in Southern Wisconsin--- the first week of November.... I guess this year will truly test the theory of the Moon phase causing the Rut for me anyway..... because here Alsheimer is predicting the chasing phase around the 15th of November...

dtrain56

RE: Do you believe in the Rut prediction by moon phase ?

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:04 am

Yes the moon phase is a contributing factor for the rut, there are other factors.
like Temperature, day length, competition for does, but moon phase is a pretty good gauge...

well i purfer the first week of november, before breeding takes place, deer are ready but does have not come in quite yet and bucks are scraping, and checking for the first "hott' does...Buck movement is at it's best i think,

once they get a doe they are on lock down...pussy does that to a guy!!!!!

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 am

It is difficult to vote because I believe moon phases and other factors together trigger the rut. So I cannot vote yes on the moon or no that the moon has nothing to do with it. I believe moon phases effect deer movement more than triggering the rut. If I had to vote I guess it would be no.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

Yes the moon phase is a contributing factor for the rut, there are other factors.
like Temperature, day length, competition for does, but moon phase is a pretty good gauge...

well i purfer the first week of november, before breeding takes place, deer are ready but does have not come in quite yet and bucks are scraping, and checking for the first "hott' does...Buck movement is at it's best i think,

once they get a doe they are on lock down...pussy does that to a guy!!!!!

This is also when i plan my vacations. Once the actual rut kicks in, the only hope you have is the doe will come by your stand.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:47 am

I don't think much, well in my area anyways.

I can have a peak rut mid october and 10 miles away it won't happen until December.
Another part of the state it will be February.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Smoothbore

Postby Smoothbore » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:26 am

I go by the deed dear phase. When I start seeing a bunch of dead deer on the side of the road you can bet the chase phase has begun.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:45 pm

dtrain56

I absolutely moon phase set`s the rut off, no question in my mind.

On a side note, dtrain56, I hope you`ll watch your posts in the future and not such vulger terminology. It would be appreciated.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:11 pm

I feel that this could go eitherway. The deer start to rut due to daylight, weather, and moon phase
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

lhdg865

Postby lhdg865 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:16 pm

I hunt in central Missouri and have followed the moon phase theroy for the last four years.  It had worked great up until last year and it seemed to me that it was real slow during the prediction time.  This year I am taking off the first week of November as well, so I'll see what happens.  It always seems to be best around here the first three weeks of November.  I always have luck between the 4th and 8th.  Good luck!!

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:32 pm

well watched qdma today and it actualy turns out that their research shows that the rut has more to do with day length...

than moon phase or weather...

Sorry if the language affended any one but it was a JOKE...HA..HA lighten up a little

Next

Return to General Discussions