Do you believe in the Rut prediction by moon phase ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
HiddenHornsRanch

RE: Do you believe in the Rut prediction by moon phase ?

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:46 pm

I thing the moon does trigger the start of the rut, and affects how and when the deer moves..but our deer will start a light rut, they dont hit it hard until like recently a cold snap hit and all of sudden you see them full throttle...so my opinion the moon triggers and its  a chain effect where as on things affects another and it all works together..
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:31 pm

I don't have a hard and fast opinion yet on the moon phase. I kept careful track of the deer activity last year in my area and compared it to what Deer and Deer Hunting predicted the activity would be like in reference to the moon phase. Last year the activity was exactly right as to what the moon phase predictions were. Last year was my first year paying attention to it, so this year I am anxiously awaiting the results. The peak rut activity is 3 weeks different than last year, according to moon phase. If the moon phase has that big an impact, it will be very obvious.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:27 am

Photocycle
a.k.a. length of days.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:03 am

I believe Alshiemer's theory works where the study is done, but even he will tell you it doesn't work in the south where the rut can vary as much as a month in 100 miles. So my vote was no. There is just so much we don't know about the rut. Down here I believe cold weather and the length of days has more to do with when the rut happens that anything else.

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:29 pm

ive definatly seen it work to schedule here in Indiana. i kinda had a question about it tho. i know alshiemer usually has a 3 day period that he suggests are the best days to be in the woods. does any one know what those days are in accordance with the moon phase... hope that made sense?

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:12 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Photocycle
a.k.a. length of days.

Alsheimer accepts that Photoperiod sets up the rut, it`s accepted by everyone. His take though, is that due to the difference in the peak of the rut from year to year that the moon phase is what pulls the trigger so to speak.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:54 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Photocycle
a.k.a. length of days.

Alsheimer accepts that Photoperiod sets up the rut, it`s accepted by everyone. His take though, is that due to the difference in the peak of the rut from year to year that the moon phase is what pulls the trigger so to speak.

Yes, I know. But LLR contends that the timing of the rut is constant from year to year and based on photocycle alone.

With all due respect to CA, I just disagree with the whole moon phase thing. But I am just one vote here.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:23 pm

The rut is caused by the amount of daylight to dark ratio, sets off a chemical in their little heads. I have heard weather was a cause before but nature wouldn't do that you could have a rut in June, or not get one all year. In my opinion the moon is out all the time and changes all the time, so how would the deer know what full moon to start the rut in. The weather theory is used allot cause it usually is bad during the time of year the rut is happening. 
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

RUMEN

Postby RUMEN » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:18 pm

LIGHTENUP BEFORE YOU EXPLODE

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:43 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Photocycle
a.k.a. length of days.

i agree with mr. alsheimer 100% on this. based on my experience. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions