Leaving stands up year round ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckhunter21

RE: Leaving stands up year round ?

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 pm

See, this is a subject I'm kind of torn on.  I used to take them down every year when I first started hunting, then I kept them up, and now I take them down again usually right after the hunting season only to put them up again a few months later!  LOL  It's good to get a look at them to tighten any bolts, etc (I only use hang-on stands for the most part), but I don't think leaving them out for one season is going to hurt them too much what do you guys think?  What about taking them down once every couple years, maybe I'll start doing that.  I was curious as to how much corrosion, etc, you think those stands see by leaving them out?

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:54 pm

i use a climber that i leave out for the season but after that i take it home .one year mice started eating the arm rest padding didnt want them doing that to the seat or straps etc.if you have severe winters make sure you check your stands thoroughly water can get trapped inside and freeze the tubes,damaging the welds. 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:56 pm

I leave them up year round . I do the same as Hunter480 and replace the rachet straps . I check out all the stands before ever getting into one . I wouldn't want to be climbing into a stand in the dark and have something break !

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:16 pm

I take mine down every year. it doesnt bother the deer. the foliage is still so think they dont hardly notice. they notice youre smell, but after a couple days that goes away and they dont even notice the stands, depending on just where they are set that is.
The weather beats on them that much more leaving them out year round. Straps dont last year to year leaving them out that long, it really can become a major safety issue leaving them out all year. Personally, I didn't realize so many guys left theirs out all year, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It's a lot easier to make sure all the nuts and bolts, cables, chains, and anything else that may break or rust is in good shape if you take them down each year and check them out good before putting them up again. ratchet straps take a real beating, so i definitely would not want to leave them out all year and then rely on them not to break in the fall. ladder stands aren't as bad, but there is no way i would leave a hang on out all year. at least not without changing the straps in the fall before climbing in it.
besides all that, i also dont think of it as a chore to hang my stands every year, i love it. it's an exciting day. its late summer, i've been waiting for months to get back in the tree stands, its an energizing feeling to be out in those spots again. even if i do put the stand in the same tree, and there are some spots that i do, its just one of those experiences of hunting that i look forward to every year. if i was a deer, i would compare it to it being my prerut. nothing is really happening yet, but its the red glow of the dawn thats coming, getting ready for the one time i wait all year for. the best, most exciting, most important time of the year is just around the corner and i have just shed my velvet. hanging stands really opens up the can of anticipation for opening day.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:57 am

I am 67 years of age and it's a pain for me to put stands up and down so I leave them up . It costs me about $4 each to replace a rachet strap so I replace them each season . The only thing I have had go bad on a stand is the canvas seat on some of the older stands . I hated those seats anyway and replaced them with plywood seats .
"A man's got to know his limitations" !

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:34 am

We leave ours up year round.  We'll check nuts/bolts and straps before the season, and usually pull the seats at the end of the season, but that's about it.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:01 am

I leave my stands up every year. At the end of the season I loosen the ratchet straps alittle for the tree and back off my tree steps a couple turns. Then in the summer i go through all the stands for maintanance purposes while i clean all my shooting lanes at each one. Only problem I ever had was the seats would get knawed on alittle. Nothin alittle redneck engenuity cant fix! lol

Venison - the other red meat

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 am

I do a little of both.

The stands on the property I own stay up year round. I run a safety and shooting lane check-up in early summer.

Stands on property that I do not own come down at the end of the season and return in late summer. Property changes hands so fast around here that I do not want to risk the property being sold "as is" with my stands still on it.

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:54 pm

I leave mine up. I loosen the rathet straps on them at the end of the season a little bit, so when the tree grows they don't become impossible to get off. Every three or 4 years, I will take them down and replace bolts and washers...and get new straps if necessary. Those straps will weaken over time after being in the timber 24-7-365.

Next time I take them down, I am going to spend the extra cash and go with stainless bolts and nuts, and rubber washers to eliminate squeaks. Then I should be able to leave them up even longer.
-Eric

moxie1884

Postby moxie1884 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:08 am

Mine are up year round only because they are up on private property and I'm the property doing things all the time and can check on the stands. 
Terry

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions