SHould I take off?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
btillman

SHould I take off?

Postby btillman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:37 am

I am thinking about taking off tomorrow but wind has me scared. here are conditions

Wind 10-20 with front coming through tomorrow afternoon. i am in west tn and we are just a couple of weeks from rut. i noticed a ton of new scrapes in my food plot sunday. Should wind be a factor or do i need to just hunt. I have always hated to hunt in wind

trophyhunter1980

RE: SHould I take off?

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:57 am

I would be in the woods, if you are not there you will not see anything.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:34 am

ORIGINAL: btillman

I am thinking about taking off tomorrow but wind has me scared. here are conditions

Wind 10-20 with front coming through tomorrow afternoon. i am in west tn and we are just a couple of weeks from rut. i noticed a ton of new scrapes in my food plot sunday. Should wind be a factor or do i need to just hunt. I have always hated to hunt in wind

If the wind is going to prevent you focusing all your attention on deer hunting then I'd wait and take off when the conditions are more suited for you.  If you go out in the wind, which you hate, more than likely you'll have a negative outlook, making it hard to stay in the stand and even harder to sit still.

If it was me and I could get the day off, I'd be out there especially with the front moving in.  The deer are going be there and a 10 - 20 mph hour wind isn't going to keep them from moving.  If the winds are get very severe look for thickets or feeding areas that are somewhat protected from the wind.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:54 am

I have been pleasantly surprised by windy conditions at times.  Both my kids have scored firsts this year under extremely windy conditions, and the lull in the wind that occurs just after sunset. 

Never give up a chance to be in the woods. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:05 am

Even though the wind can be a downer, if a front is coming in i would go out there. And although the wind can hinder deer movement, it can also hide your movement and sounds as well. You just have to pay more attention to seeing the deer first instead of hearing them approaching your stand. I would be out there esp if a front is coming in, and try to keep positive about being out there.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:47 am

Can't shoot anything if you're not hunting.  But if you have limited days off, then maybe you should wait.

If you're hunting in the woods, the wind won't be nearly as bad as it is in open fields, so 10-20 mph might be far less in the middle of the trees.

Best of luck.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 pm

like ranwin said, id wait til fullblown rut to take off if you only have so many days to take off. Your definatly not gona shoot anything if you aint out there but still your odds are best in the weeks to come and id spend all my extra time then.

Return to General Discussions