Out numbered Sunday night...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Squirrelhawker

Out numbered Sunday night...

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:22 am

I had stayed out of this stand since the debacle with the 6 point opening day. So the wind was right and I knew he wasn't the only deer coming in and out of that cover. As the sun got lower, I check the wind with my puffer and it was still a good breeze out of the east in the direction I expected to see deer. But as I sat there, I knew that there was a possibilty I could have travel from the opposite direction. Not likely but a possibility. But the  due easterly breeze, being somewhat of a diagonal crosswind to the funnel still kept me pretty confident come what may.

Sure enough, here they come, a big doe group trotting right in on my trail. Bouncing around and feeding their way towards me, nobody seemed real concerned. At 19 yards they stop again and begin to mill around. Tails still flicking, I get ready as the lead doe (who was huge) begins to move towards a shooting lane. Just then one of the youngsters wanders a little too far west and suddenly goes all stiff and sticks his nose in the air. I thought about fishing an arrow to him as he was broadside and holding real still, but the lead doe was coming underneath me in two or three more steps. Just then junior stamps his foot and mom looks back over her shoulder at him. She says to him "you're nuts, I have this handled" and sticks her head into the lane. He stamps his foot again and the other two begin to believe him. Majority rules and mom turns on her heel, they fold camp,turn right and step into the cover.

I chuckled ( 'cause that's all ya can do at this point) to myself- damn kids!- climbed down, and went home.

Herd behavior 101  Too cool.

AfterShock95

RE: Out numbered Sunday night...

Postby AfterShock95 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:31 am

well I had a doe and he 2 young ones bust me 3 time in a row untill oct 19 the button buck came in and then the doe with the other doe behind her she got in front of the button buck and gave me a perfect shot well something happened and I did hit her but after 2 days of looking for her never did find her had a great blood trail and it made me sick to know I hit her and never found her wish now I wouldn't have taken the shot but then again I know that once the arrow leaves the bow there is no way of calling it back. So give it a week they will be back

Squirrelhawker

RE: Out numbered Sunday night...

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:07 am

Yeah I have fairly high confidence level in this stand. It is on the edge of some of the thickest cover on the property, adjacent to crop fields, and right in a major funnel. After stting in it two times I have seen 5 deer from it. For the locale and hardly any scouting, that's real good.

Return to General Discussions