Learning the hard way

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
burnnurse1

RE: Learning the hard way

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:14 am

man, that's tough. Sorry about your misfortune. It happens to everyone at some point. Sounds like you had some fatty tissue on your broadhead that more than likely would have closed up the wound. With the size and cutting ability of broadheads today I wouldn't think he would clot off a wound of that magnitude. If infection doesn't set in and take him then he very well might live. Keep an eye out for buzzards. The meat won't be salvageable but at least you can get your antlers!

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:06 pm

I know this won't help now, but I have a question.  You said that at 3:45 PM you jumped the buck and he ran through a pond, and that he did not appear hurt.  How do you know that it was the same buck?  I once jumped a deer when I was following up a blood trail in the dark.  Turns out it was a different deer.  When I finally went back to the blood, I found the deer within 50 yards.  There is a post about this in the forum on Bloodtrails.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:38 am

ORIGINAL: flatheadnut

I shot him on the left side.  Why do you ask?

On the left, more chance of gut than liver depending on angle. On the right, it's the opposite.

flatheadnut

Postby flatheadnut » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 am

ILbowhunter,
you make a good point, but I'm sure I would recognize those fork horns today if I saw them again.  I'm not 100% but would say 98% from body size, shape, and horns I jumped my deer.  I still pray that I will see that deer alive and walking.  I know it's slim chance, but still hoping.

Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

Previous

Return to General Discussions