Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

RE: Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:35 pm

ScootD, I just got mine a few days ago..I got last months to on the same day. I wasnt to happy cuz I had gotten tired of waiting on it and just went out and bought it. Oh well, Im sure it will be in your hands soon and youll be drooling like I do when I read the mag lol.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:32 pm

I get scared walking FROM my stand, because I know I'm walking right back into the world of mortgage's, property taxes, college tuitions, $4.00+ per gallon fuel, and all sorts of other horrors.

I'd rather take my chances with the wolves, 'yotes, bears, panthers, lions, etc. At least I know how to deal with them! 
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:58 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I get scared walking FROM my stand, because I know I'm walking right back into the world of mortgage's, property taxes, college tuitions, $4.00+ per gallon fuel, and all sorts of other horrors.

I'd rather take my chances with the wolves, 'yotes, bears, panthers, lions, etc. At least I know how to deal with them! 

Well said.

ScootD

Postby ScootD » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Is this the appropriate place, do you imagine, to discuss you magazine problem? Let me amswer that for you.....no.

I don't know why you have to be such a D*** all I was doing was asking a question about the mag I wasn't trying to discuss the problem I am having with not receiving it I just wanted to know if it takes a long time to get it.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:07 am

WOW...How did I ever miss this post......First Fasteddie...we'er not far from each other and yeppers I've heard that screaming before many atime and have concluded that it's either raccoon fighting or a bob cat...we do have lots of owls but the sounds are differant....it sends chills down your spine...

Now let me turn my attention to you  480.....Tisk...tisk..tisk....Being a woman with children that hunt....your comment was lets say was a measure of your intellecual fortune.........

I have been spooked and down right scared going in and leaving my stands and with good reason...common scense....We are walking into the living rooms of creature big and small that make there living either being preditors are defensive prey...every day of there lives!....even the local scunk have a MUCH greater defense than I ....they all live and forage in those dark places that our eyes weren't made for....I've been circled by yotes ...charged by deer ....stepped on grouse and lets say it's a heart charger at best...followed by raccoons and lord only knows what else and it's SCAREY...that is what our defence is plain and simple....by the way 480...I have gutted as many as 13 deer in one year....6 of those being mine...know one should take offense to what you say...some ppl just live in their own little world                  

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:26 am

I am often a little fidgety or spooked when walking to the stand also. It's just a natural thing and it happens. Also 480, if someone asks a question about the magazine; why have an answer like u did? Just answer his question plain and simple.
Kyle

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:01 am

Woods Walker I like that post!!!!!!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:46 am

I don't care where you hunt, sometimes Cougars, and Bears travel into areas they are not comonly found. It's good to be a little frightend in the darkness, otherwise someone might end up with fangs in the back of thier neck.  I'm sure that rutting bucks have killed a few hunters before too.                                                                                                                                       Woodswalker: How do you deal with large predators in the dark ? Just curious. [;)]                                                                                                                                             ScootD: I recieved my mag after a few others here, it happens sometimes, no big deal, Deer & Deer Hunting will take care of any problems with missing issues for you. I think Hunter480 was just letting you know there is a help forum for subscription problems, it's nothing personal. No problem, everyone here posts comments off topic occasionaly.                                                                                                                   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:05 am

PS......... excuse spelling....company picnic yesterday and I'm not correcting anything today....[&:][;)]

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:49 am

The day I ran into a flock of turkeys roosting on my ladder stand got me going pretty good.  I was already up the ladder and starting to negotiate my way to my seat when they decided to leave-- must have been 8 or so on the shooting rail and scattered on the nearby branches.  Yow!

Then there was the day last spring when I went out turkey hunting.  I spent years as a caver, so the dark does not bother me at all.  I was walking down one of our access roads and all of a sudden my body froze up-- I was being followed.  I shook it off and went to my hideout and got set up with my decoys.  About a half-hour later a coyote bitch made a run at two of my dekes.  I'd been right; I had been followed.  I missed her on the first pass, but about 20 minutes later, she made another pass from the other direction.  She took a load of #4 at 15 yards.

There was the time I was tracking a wounded deer on a hillside and I started taking incoming fire from the neighbors.  I had a Coleman lantern, and I waved that sucker back and forth and yelled.  The next volley of rounds came closer.  I doused the lantern and skedaddled my way out of there in a hurry.  I told the neighbor about it the next time I saw him.  He and his party were taking pot-shots at a tree stump over on the next ridge with their muzzleloaders and didn't know they were skipping over to my side of the ravine.

I've stepped on grouse in the dark.  That'll get my adrelaline pumping.  I've also stepped on a bedded rabbit.   

That's all I can think of for now.  Scared?  You bet.  

I've had some hairy confrontations with other hunters as well, but  I'll save those for later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions