Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

RE: Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:14 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

I don't care where you hunt, sometimes Cougars, and Bears travel into areas they are not comonly found. It's good to be a little frightend in the darkness, otherwise someone might end up with fangs in the back of thier neck.  I'm sure that rutting bucks have killed a few hunters before too.                                                                                                                                       Woodswalker: How do you deal with large predators in the dark ? Just curious. [;)]                                                                                                                                             ScootD: I recieved my mag after a few others here, it happens sometimes, no big deal, Deer & Deer Hunting will take care of any problems with missing issues for you. I think Hunter480 was just letting you know there is a help forum for subscription problems, it's nothing personal. No problem, everyone here posts comments off topic occasionaly.                                                                                                                   

I live and hunt in Illinois. The only predators I fear are the Democrats that are trying to disarm/bankrupt me, and who are destroying our DNR.

I can handle coyotes. Politicans are a whole 'nother matter!!!!  [:'(]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:27 pm

well , i guess i must be a wimp because on several occations i have encountered bears on my property while entering or leaving the woods, i guess occording to hunter480 i should not be afraid of a 500lb black bear standing a few feet in front of me as i walk out of the woods.

man you must be one tough SOB...cause all i am holding is a bow and a knife, i guess you would win that battle

give me a break...being spooked is a reflex of survival and it heightens your senses and keeps you alive.. it is OK to be scared a little ...if your not sometimes... you are either stupid or Paul Bunyan 

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:43 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Easy man, I was just stating theres not a whole lot too fear here.  I don't even know what your first post was.  Geeeesh.

Sorry OH, my mistake.  I incorrectly addressed my post to you, but meant to put 480.  I have corrected my original post.

I've always respected your comments.  Just wanted to clear that up.  My bad.

Cheers!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:25 am

Can anybody tell me how to cut and paste text into a post? I see nothing that lets me do this and I have something extremely pertinant to this thread.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:30 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

I don't care where you hunt, sometimes Cougars, and Bears travel into areas they are not comonly found. It's good to be a little frightend in the darkness, otherwise someone might end up with fangs in the back of thier neck.  I'm sure that rutting bucks have killed a few hunters before too.                                                                                                                                       Woodswalker: How do you deal with large predators in the dark ? Just curious. [;)]                                                                                                                                             ScootD: I recieved my mag after a few others here, it happens sometimes, no big deal, Deer & Deer Hunting will take care of any problems with missing issues for you. I think Hunter480 was just letting you know there is a help forum for subscription problems, it's nothing personal. No problem, everyone here posts comments off topic occasionaly.                                                                                                                   

I live and hunt in Illinois. The only predators I fear are the Democrats that are trying to disarm/bankrupt me, and who are destroying our DNR.

I can handle coyotes. Politicans are a whole 'nother matter!!!!  [:'(]
I just read about a fourth 300 pound black bear sighting in this months  IL-outdoors newsletter.  [;)] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Can anybody tell me how to cut and paste text into a post? I see nothing that lets me do this and I have something extremely pertinant to this thread.

Just highlight and copy text like you normally would and once in the  reply box right click and select paste from the menu that opens.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Easy man, I was just stating theres not a whole lot too fear here.  I don't even know what your first post was.  Geeeesh.

Sorry OH, my mistake.  I incorrectly addressed my post to you, but meant to put 480.  I have corrected my original post.

I've always respected your comments.  Just wanted to clear that up.  My bad.

Cheers!

No problem, after going back and reading the post I kinda figured that's what had happened.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 am

This story is true and excerpted from abook I've been working on
 (far too long!)

Why I'm still a little afraid of the dark

I went through that phase like all kids do I guess. Like checking under the bed, freaking out at little noises, etc. My light switch was on the other side of the room from my bed. Obviously a sick joke perpetrated by my father, who had built our house. I can remember perfecting the " flying leap under the covers " from across the room after flicking the switch off. But every kid grows up and I eventually got a handle on the fact that there was nothing in the dark that could ever hurt me. I labored under that delusion for many years.

It was one of those mornings a bow hunter waits for-- cold, crisp, with a very light breeze. I cut cross-wind through the early morning gloom, parallel to my tree stand, and once downwind, turned into the breeze and started sneaking into my hunting spot. As I stepped off the soft dirt of the open plowed crop field and into the brush, I heard the unmistakable sound of a deer jumping up from its bed and crashing away from me through the frost covered goldenrod. Instinctively I flipped on the flashlight I always have in my pocket and scanned the field where the noise was coming from. I immediately picked up the shape of a fat little four point buck about 40 yards away as he slowed down to a walk, apparently feeling safe in the darkness from whatever had disturbed him. I smiled to myself as I watched him under the soft glow of the flashlight. I knew he wasn't all that upset. I also noted that he was dead upwind from me and so I was hoping to see him later on after sunrise.[/i]
 [/i]
I was just about to click the light off and finish slipping over to my stand, when the buck stopped and looked my way. I figured the jig was up and that the deer, suddenly realizing that it was being observed, would bug out real quick. Instead, he turned and began walking directly towards me.[/i]
 [/i]
My initial reaction at this turn of events was one of amusement. It was during the rut and deer sometimes did seemingly silly things during the peak of their breeding season. More than one buck has been converted to steaks because of it. I stood there in the dark, bow in one hand, flashlight in the other, and quiver of arrows on my back waiting for the confused whitetail to realize his mistake. He didn't. The wind was blowing from his direction right to me and so he was unable to detect any of my human scent. When he closed the distance to about thirty yards I muttered under my breath some empty threat involving how I'd like to see him do that if I were holding a gun, etc.[/i]
 [/i]
At twenty five yards or so he showed no sign of a clue, or slowing down, so I spoke to him quietly but firmly, secure in the knowledge that the sound of my voice would snap him back to reality. "Hey you" I said, for lack of a snappier line. What do you say to a dazed, love sick deer you meet in the dark? Spare me what you're thinking, I've recounted this tale enough to be able to read your mind. I can tell this story today and laugh. I can assure you that at the time, in the dark, it was anything but funny.[/i]
 [/i]
At around fifteen yards I began backing up and intermittently sort of hissing at the deer as he closed the remaining distance between us. All the while fully expecting the big dope to get it together and vanish before my eyes. Looking back, it is still very weird and surreal to me. All deer hunters spend their entire careers being quiet in the woods and although this certainly was rapidly beginning to qualify as a time to make some real noise, all I could think of to do was to sort of make these shooing noises as I tried to increase the distance between us. All the while not wanting to turn my back on him.[/i]
 [/i]
At maybe a dozen feet or so, my animal handling and control training took over. I placed the closest thing at hand between me and the animal and that was my compound bow.  By now I had decided that the last thing I wanted to do was touch him but I still wanted something between us. I had no clue what was going on in his little pea brain, but I knew that he had no idea I was a human. I began to run over the various scenarios in my head that might occur. If we made contact and he mistook me for another buck, I knew I could be seriously injured. If he figured out what I was, I could still be injured depending on what he decided to do. Although I was just a two or three hundred yards from civilization, it might as well have been two or three miles. Oddly, I also thought how this could be a real dumb way to die.[/i]
 [/i]
I had backed up into a dense thicket as far as I could, and by now I could clearly see the dazed expression on the deer's face as he literally walked right up to me.[/i]
I had kept my bow between us but had pulled it in towards my body as the deer backed me into the thicket, not wanting to be the one that triggered whatever it was that was sure to come next. I could clearly see and hear the deer's breath as he craned his neck forward in an attempt to gather any kind of information he could, his face and antlers fully illuminated and inches from my chest.[/i]
 [/i]
If this were a TV movie, it's here that they usually cut to a commercial.
 [/i]
 [/i]Okay okay[/i], we'll keep going.[/i]
 [/i]
Just as I thought he would stick his big wet nose up against my chest, the breeze swirled ever so slightly. Suddenly, he snorted, wheeled, and dashed back the way he came from, making huge 15 foot leaps through the brush. I declined to monitor his progress and immediately beat feet for my ladder stand set up on the edge of a nearby thicket. I closed the 35 yards to the thicket in seconds. As I reached the thicket it dawned on me that I no longer heard the deer crashing through the frozen brush. Instinctively I stopped to listen, assuming the deer had left the area. Just as I went to slip into the cover where my tree stand was concealed, I heard him walking-- back towards me. I was fairly certain I could get to the stand but that didn't help much. I was pretty shook-up as I climbed the ladder stand and onto the platform. With shaking hands I hung my pack and quiver and clipped my safety belt to the tree. A moment later the familiar footsteps began again and in the gloom I could just make out the shape of the buck as he appeared below me, nose to the ground and right on my trail.[/i]
 [/i]
Safe in my stand, my fear began to turn to annoyance. I watched the buck circle the clearing below me in an attempt to find me, apparently still not convinced of what I was. I am and have been for all of my adult life, a pretty law-abiding guy, particularly when it comes to game laws and hunting regulations. It was a good solid twenty minutes before legal shooting time. And I could see him, but not well enough to take an ethically acceptable shot even at the close range he was pacing around at. A thought occurred to me. I reached into my pocket and found my deer call. Adjusting the reed to reproduce a doe bleat, I bleated softly at the buck still milling aimlessly around my tree stand. It had the desired effect as he immediately began pacing around in earnest, now convinced he had let the opportunity of a lifetime slip through his fingers (or more accurately, his hooves.) This went on for at least ten minutes with the young buck convinced he would find "the doe" any second.[/i]
 [/i]
Daylight was gathering momentum and I slipped an arrow out the quiver and nocked it on the bowstring. As he came into view again his head passed behind a sapling, blocking his line of site to me. Just as I began to draw my bow, a clattering sound split the quiet morning and the buck's head snapped up looking towards the sound. It took a couple of seconds to process what I was hearing. It was the sound of deer antlers clashing together. Suddenly the buck folded his tent, broke camp, and was gone in a flash. Not only did I not see him again that week of the rut, I never saw that particularly deer again that season.[/i]
To this day I don't know if the young buck thought he was about to get his butt kicked by one or more larger bucks or if he figured out what I did later that morning. And that was, that another hunter had slipped into my area  unaware of my presence and began the process of "rattling" or, clashing deer antlers together, simulating a fight between two bucks in order to call in a curious deer.[/i]
The technique does not work all the time, but when it does the results can be dramatic. One of the downsides can be that smaller bucks will often react negatively to the sound and leave the area.[/i]
 [/i]
This encounter happened over a decade ago and I have since hunted the same land year after year without ever having had an experience like that again.[/i]
 [/i]
I know that it was a convergence of many variables that led to that strange encounter that morning-time of year, wind direction, my own strict scent control habits, etc. I still bow hunt and my habit is to still get in my stands early, before daylight. But between you and me, to this day it's still not quite the same as before. I'm a little antsy on my way into the woods these days. Just a little.[/i]
 [/i]
 [/i]
 [/i]
 [/i]
 [/i]

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Yep --all the time I get spooked.  Deer stands and lots of other places.  Whenever I'm surprised is the worst but if I know a snake is around and I cant see him but can hear the rattles then yep, spoooked.[:)]  The white mouth of a cotton mouth seen at close range freaks me out too.  I get scared all the time and was not raised on concrete.  Can I still act?  Usually quite quickly and often over reacting---- whenever I have screwed up enough to warrant seeing that white mouth, it is usually followed by several machete strokes that are a tad overkill after awhile.  My baby brother will literally run screaming and loses (in my opinion) higher thought processes, whenever he encounters a snake.  Now, Pappaw always said "Son, don't ever let me catch you being afraid of anything you or I can kill.  But, boy, you best be cautious"   IMO, a little fear is good, it teaches you caution and respect sometimes and very often will keep you alive.  Did ya'll have a bunch of those "No Fear" stickers start popping up a few years back?  One of the greatest laughs I ever had was watching two young guys from a large town near here, literally knock each other down several times one night trying to get back to thier truck when a couple coyotes started yipping beside them.  It was hilarious, watching those two flashlights run 300 yds up that pipeline knocking each other down every time one hesitated.  The whole time I was watching them run I was also looking at the "no fear" sticker on the back of thier truck[:D]  

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:03 pm

last year was the 1st time i've ever seen a bear(outside of a zoo),it just happened to be while i was out deer hunting........though the mom and 2 cubs was 75-100 yards away

tonight i saw bear number 2,also while out deer hunting though this one was 15 yards to my left,and the hair on the back of my neck started coming up,when it stood up and started rubbing his back on the tree

said "hello bear" it started walking south got 40 yards away,and took off running,which was good cause the path to the house is north

so nope havent been spooked walking to my treestand,but was a little spooked sitting in my treestand tonight

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions