Halloween Hunts

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bobow

RE: Halloween Hunts

Postby bobow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:53 am

This is my first year bowhunting.  I was out on Friday morning.  I have been out 3 other times prior to this and have not seen anything.  On Friday morning I saw at daylight a nice doe feeding and later saw a small buck just following her around.

Almost to the minute, an hour later, I had a large buck go by @ 45 yrds out go by.  No shot as it was.  The rack was well past the ears.

Almost to the minute, an hour later a nice 6 pt passed by out of range.  I have been hunting again for the last three years in IL for the gun season and this is the most action I have seen.  I should qualify this by saying I am able to hunt a very small parcel, maybe 10 acres that is only a travel corridor.  Lots of sign such as scraps and tracks, but all at night I am sure.

I was out all day Saturday and did not see anything.  I did get most of the book I had with me read.

I found out a couple of things this weekend.  #1, the movement other than the early morning were due to the corn combines to the south of me.

#2: all the deer had to cross my path in and were not spooked.  That makes me confident that my scent contro is working, at least I hope so!

#3: the bucks did not seem to react to the doe estrus scent I had hanging; nor did they react much to the calls.

I appreciate all the advice I have gleaned from this forum.  I hope I have an opportunity to harvest a couple of does at a minimum to put in the freezer.

Thanks to all the advice.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:04 am

ORIGINAL: burnnurse1

Killed a nice 11 point this morning! My first Halloween buck[:D]

Awesome!  Be sure to post your pics in the Photo Corner (Post Your 2008 Harvest Pics).
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:25 pm

I shot a 10 point on halloween.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

wordbird

Postby wordbird » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:48 pm

I killed a seven point halloween morning with my bow. Good day for me.

Previous

Return to General Discussions