Halloween Hunts

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

Halloween Hunts

Postby Archery_NUT » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:04 am

What do you people think about hunting on Halloween???

i hear that weirds things have happened and alot of people have had good luck on Halloween
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

OHhunter

RE: Halloween Hunts

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:23 am

I've always wanted to get a halloween buck, it just hasn't happend.  I've killed em on the 30th and 28th but no luck on the 31st.  I won't get to go tommorrow, so maybe next year.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:19 am

It's just like any other day of the season.  You just need someone to cover the front door and hand out treats while you're hunting.

. . . Let me take that back.  It USUALLY is.  There were the years I was hunting a private campground out east of Cincinnati.  The owner let the local neo-pagans use it for Samhein (pronounced SOW-en) festivities.  Halloween is their high holiday-- kind of Xmas and Easter all rolled into one. Zowie! Those were trippy people!   One year I tipped off the local TV station that the witches were out, and there was a TV crew and a satellite truck and the 6 O'Clock news lead with a live feed from about 50 yards from my stand.  The pagans were all dressed in their robes and doing all kinds of goofy things there for a while.  After the sun went down, they lit a fire and danced around it until dawn. Nice bunch of folks-- little strange, but nice.

A few weeks later, I was out  hunting and the pagans were there again having a drumming class.  They got all cranked up, and I decided hunting was going to be impossible, so I walked out to my car.  On the way, I wandered into the middle of what they were up to.  It just so happened they had been worshiping the male deity and then I had appeared, dressed in camo and carrying the bow.  Pagans left and right were going down on their knees worshiping what they figured must be a manifestation of Hern the Hunter or some such thing.  Oy!

One of the cuter pagans came up and showed me her new boob job-- she had recently had augmentation, and I had to admit that it was a . . .er. . . quite a nice job.  Anyhow, after nobbing hobs with the pagans for a bit, they decided to go back to their drumming and I went back out to retrieve my stand.  Lo and behold there were a  whole herd of deer lined up at the tree line watching the circus when I went back in.

Bottom line:  If you want a cool deer attractant, go get yourself a mess of pagans and have them drum for you while you're on your stand.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:21 am

i just talked my boss into letting me come into work late tomorrow so hopefully i can give you a good story about a big scary buck tomorrow afternoon.a dead one of course
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:11 pm

I never, ever thought of it.
My first hunt of the year has always been Nov 15th.

This year I have a Nov. 1 hunt. But I will be setting up tomorrow at 8 am.

I think it would be awesome to do a Oct 31. As soon as my son/daughter are old enough, I might just do an early a/m Halloween day hunt with them

Boo!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:32 pm

Well for me, Halloween is like opening day for me. For the last 5 years I have seen a nice buck or at least a lot of deer and bucks on Halloween. No matter what the reason is Im going hunting on Halloween. I have always had great luck. Heack if I had to choose, opening day or Halloween, Id choose Halloween hands down, no questions asked.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:50 pm

I just got a Halloween treat! No, it was not a big ugly buck, but almost as good.

I was answering the door for Beggars' Night and a friend stopped by with his little boy. He owns 60 acres, just outside of town. He only gun hunts it and actually said, "I'd almost pay you to bow hunt it and give me a scouting report, but I'm sure you already have have more than enough land to hunt." I almost fell down!

Long story short, I just picked up another parcel of land to hunt, not more than 10 minutes from my house. I'm scouting it tomorrow. Trick or treat!!!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Trick!  Then you'll get your treat.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Thats a tought one to put in your bag JPH. Haha but ya cant complain one bit about that.. Good luck
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:36 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I just got a Halloween treat! No, it was not a big ugly buck, but almost as good.

I was answering the door for Beggars' Night and a friend stopped by with his little boy. He owns 60 acres, just outside of town. He only gun hunts it and actually said, "I'd almost pay you to bow hunt it and give me a scouting report, but I'm sure you already have have more than enough land to hunt." I almost fell down!

Long story short, I just picked up another parcel of land to hunt, not more than 10 minutes from my house. I'm scouting it tomorrow. Trick or treat!!!

Wow, that's awesome...Good luck and let us know how the scouting goes!

Next

Return to General Discussions