How windy is too windy to hunt???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Demoderby4

RE: How windy is too windy to hunt???

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:21 am

I will agree with adirondackhunter, when it is a little windy it does cover your movements and cover up your noise if you make any, thats a good advantage if you see deer. When its dead (no wind) it is def. more challenging to be quiet. imo. 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:24 am

Joel ..you are so right about widow makers....One winter while hiking I got knocked out by one...I heard it but too late and it was to heavy.... bent my wrists back and hit my shoulder/neck hard enough that I was out for a while...thank God I dress in  heavy layers because when I got home 3 hours later and half froze I told my family to go looking next time I'm gone that long in that type of weather...[8|]

Hunting wind ...well here we are on a west/north facing hill and the wind swirls like a blender....last night I went out late ...4pm to hunt a new stand on east side of land ...wind  was nw...yeppers snow swirling told a differant story...nestled in pine with several differant areas they could arrive from I waited....now either he was bedded and saw me come in or that blast of east wind caused him to wind me ....but just before close the woods west of me started snorting and a lrg bodied buck turned and snorted away...I sat there saying WTH I never moved! Mr. B said had to be the wind because the house flag was straight blowing west when he got home....hill hunting wind is a whole differant story

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:02 am

glad you made it out okay i myself was just missed by one.ya think ya got lots of time but its crack smash oohhhhhh[&:][&:][&:]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Previous

Return to General Discussions