How windy is too windy to hunt???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Demoderby4

RE: How windy is too windy to hunt???

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:25 pm

I totally agree with JPH, opening day bow season it was so windy almost 40mph gusts, had a little rain and it was just miserable most the day, i sat in the stand all day from before dawn until after dusk. The skies cleared at about 5:45 and the wind died down to about 2-5 mph if any, and it was like a switch flipped on for the deer. I didn't see anything all day until after the wind died down. And when it died down it was awesome! I notice that every night im out there the wind dies down at dusk, i love being in the woods at that time, great oppurtunities at that time! I would just go out and give it a try. Like everyone is saying you cant get one sitting down on the couch...

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:26 am

Windy days are just one of the reasons why I quit hunting from trees, and started hunting on the ground, because I'm more mobile, and can move to WHERE THE DEER ARE, under variable conditions.

I will admit that hunting from treestands on windy days is for a good measure a waste of time.

I will also admit that hunting on the ground the way I do IS harder to do also, but it IS very rewarding, even if you don't get a shot.

The place I hunt had NO other hunters out yesterday, because of the wind. I was the only hunter there, and I went to where I'd go if I was a deer and wanted out of the wind. Just the fact that I was able to find them, even though I had no shots (one of them I SHOULD have had a shot on, had I watched my backtrail like I should have been!), made the day a complete success for me.

I like to HUNT them as much as, and maybe more than at times, kill them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:08 pm

well this post will be a little late but During the rut i would hunt no matter what, I saw and shot at (but missed @ 30 yards with a 25-06) one of th biggest deer i have seen.

the short story- I was hunting in s summit climber- the wind was blowing hard enough that i had to get off of the tree because the wind was blowing so hard- my confidence was low - but i decided to go still hunting around my hunting area and as i was sitting against a tree i saw the shadow of a deer going through the woods, he came within thirty yards some how i missed- bullet diflection maybe or buck fever-

but with out the rut I don't belive deer move very much in the wind- can smell, can't see movement, can't hear to well - it eliminates all the senses the deer use to survive.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:41 pm

[font=tahoma]Well, you guys talked me into going out in the wind to hunt.  The results are my face is wind burnt, I'm still trying to thaw out, I only saw 2 deer (one doe and one buck, at different times) and I still have to get that "honey-do" list done.  [&:][/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Seriously though, I learned a lot.  The deer I saw were when the wind was not blowing too hard (10 - 15 mph with 20 mph gusts).  The problem was they were on the move and did not want to be still.  They were really jumpy.  Every gust of wind had them freaked out.  When the wind started blowing harder (20+ mph with 33 mph gusts), there were no deer to be seen.  It was like they went on lock down.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Also, with the increased wind, I was very concerned that if I did get a shot, my arrow might get blown off course and I'd miss or worse, hit a bad shot.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]So, what I learned is, I will be leery to hunt again if the wind speed exceeds 15 mph and on days when wind speed exceeds 20 mph, I probably won't hunt.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Thank you to everyone for your advice!!![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Kevin: On windy days, GET OUT OF THE TREE!!  Hunt on the ground, in a wind protected area. The deer will be there, and they will not be near as skittish either.

You CAN hunt them on the ground you know...there's no law as far as I know that says you have to stay in a tree! [:D]

Wait a minute......I have reconsidered. Maybe it WOULD be best if you stayed home when the wind exceeded 15 or 20 MPH. In fact, I think 10 MPH would be a better cut-off point. And recommend this to all your hunting friends too!  I just realized that I really LIKED being the only hunter out on the farm I was at this weekend!!!  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:49 pm

Well at least you saw some deer, thats always a rush, where i hunt the wind is almost always at least 12-15mph for some reason, the deer don't seem to mind it much here, i guess it would depend on the location though, some places are a lot more gusty than others, good luck the rest of the year!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:25 pm

I think this whole wind thing has a big play in how far along they are in the "rutting phases" as well as the temperatures around them.  The doe I shot last night, I'm sure needed some food, it was pretty bitter cold out there, it was pretty windy too.  I ended up seeing 15 deer, but then again, I hunt in a "unique" area.  Maybe I was biased.  Well, like I also said above, you can't shoot a deer while sitting on your couch.  Although I can on my PS2.  So I guess that's a lie too.  Glad you saw some deer though.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:26 am

i hunt when its windy and i still hunt .i just keep an eye out for falling trees/branches.ya get clocked by a widow maker deep in the woods your gonna be yote food
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:55 am

Kevin: On windy days, GET OUT OF THE TREE!! Hunt on the ground, in a wind protected area. The deer will be there, and they will not be near as skittish either.
ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I agree..HOWEVER. the Doe I shot last weekend was taken in 20-30mph winds and just as i was about to step off my stand and try my hand at still hunting.  Still i think what Woods Walker says makes sense...their nose is their primary defense, so if i was a big ole buck I'd get to thick stuff..preferably on a point or ledge facing ito the wind where I could sniff and see anyone approaching.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 am

I hunt on windy days.The branches moving and the noise helps cover my movement.The deer are more nervous.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions