Hunting in lower michigan

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

Hunting in lower michigan

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:08 am

this year the bowhunting for me has not been as good as it was last year due to the no baiting because of chronic wasting disease that they found.

what else can i do to better my chances to have deer come my way???
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

Demoderby4

RE: Hunting in lower michigan

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:19 am

Hunt over a natural food source, apples, acorns, clover fields, if you are hardcore on the whole baiting thing. Or find where they are bedding and make a spot where you think or know they are coming out of to go eat or to come back to bed, (not too close tho) where are you set up now? I have a stand on a section of some oaks with great acorn production, i have had 2 deer come in to eat from em (3 more were going to the spot to eat but something spooked them) and i got a shot off at the one but missed. But food isn't really going to matter as much as it did a month ago, the rut is kicking in, so try to set up a spot where you find a lot of buck sign and then hunt that when the rut gets closer (mid nov.) But for now try to spot where they are traveling and go from there. I am in the process of getting a new spot set up since they don't see mto be coming for the food anymore.Where are ya at in MI anyways?

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Remus michigan is where i am hunting

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Not that it helps your cause but, I used to hunt right down the road from ya(up till 03) a friend of mine had a farm on nine mile rd south of downtown Mecosta. From what I've seen, there are(or at least were) some pretty good deer up there. good luck to brother 

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:26 pm

your not to far from me. Hunt some trails, do some scouting and find where the deer are at. Hang a stand where you feel you have the best chance. Look for bedding area's now and hang one around there, sooner or later he'll show up. Look for Crab Apple tree's, deer eat em and it's not baiting. I got a stand over looking one. A buddy of mine has seen a few deer mozing on by to eat a few. Another thing you could do is watch the fields. Talk to the land owners and see about hanging a stand there. This way you can know where the deer come in and leave..

On a funny note on the cwd. A guy at work got busted this weekend for having a truck load of beats out. He just got a fine and that was it.. Wouldnt you think if this is such a big deal that they would have made him pick it up? Hummm I still think it's just a money maker for the dnr. After all...It's not in "free roaming deer."
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 pm

thanks for the advice i will try it and see what happens

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:43 pm

good luck to you to
Knock'em down[>:]

Return to General Discussions