Hunting among cattle

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
papascruffy

Hunting among cattle

Postby papascruffy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:05 pm

It's pretty common to deer hunt close to cattle but hunting on the same piece of ground the cattle graze on seems to be a little different. I hunt on a 100 acre farm accross the road from my house, I got hunting rights in trade for the land owner to use my electricity for part of his fence for 3 months out of the year on the front pasture section.
I've hunted here 4 years now and have pretty good luck. The one thing that puzzles me is that I have not seen one rub or scrape any where on the property. Only in the thickest part of the timber do I even see any sign of a deer trail.
I know the deer and cattle won't just hang out and graze together but why would their not be any of these signs around? Would it be a waist of time to make mock scrapes here? Do the deer just use the property to pass through? I see them eating most of the time on the lower pasture and is where I have killed almost every deer here, the only bad part is that it's only about 50 yards deep and 600 yard long and is along the road. Some times a passing vehicle will run off the deer and mess up a shot. The recovery is great but over all how is the best way to lure a big buck into this area. Would calling and rattling be a waste or should it work?
I'd like to hear opinions on this to help me better understand the best tactics to use here.
Let me know what ya'll think please!

gunther89

RE: Hunting among cattle

Postby gunther89 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:15 am

Papascruffy i'm not sure what to tell ya.  I know what you mean cause I have the same situation on our hunting property.  Our grandparents rent out the pasture to a friend for the summer.  We don't find much sign at all, but there are a bunch of apple trees right along the pasture and last year was the first year that we saw a scrape around it.  Otherwise all the sign has been in the woods surrounding the pasture.  I would say that grunting and rattleing won't hurt anything.  I know that with our pasture its in between to thick side hills so the deer just run back and forth espically during the rut.  I would try and do a mock scrape cause if a dominate buck is in the area he might feel his territory is being invaded and will go and make scrapes and rubs to show he is the boss.  Hope this helped ya.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:23 pm

i have found that deer pretty much avoid active cattle pasture like the plague....not that bad, but pretty much.  I would say hunt the hardwoods.

SDArcher

Postby SDArcher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:09 pm

One of the places I hunt on has cattle on some of the property so I feel your pain.  We have four different stands hung in a tree belt that is bordered by a pasture, alfalfa field, and on the back side of the tree grove is a feed lot that only gets used for part of the year.  We always have awesome pictures of mature bucks during the summer and lots of deer activity in general.  Once fall comes around the activity slows way down until the seeking phase of the rut begins.  However, they do make one big scrape line out of the tree grove and litter it with scrapes all the way down the length of it.  I would say go for it on making a mock scrape and maybe get a reaction out of a mature buck.  I would also try calling because if you have a dominant buck within ear shot and he doesn't like the idea of an intruder you might get a poke at him.  Good luck and don't give up!!

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:35 am

I live in Central NY State on a 165 acre farm, of which about 100 acres is woods.  I also raise beef  cattle and have raised bunches of dairy heifers as well.  I have never noticed the deer getting too close to the cows but many times I see them not too far away. Many times I will see the cattle grazing at one end of a field and deer at the other.  In my experience deer are not too averse to sharing pastures with cattle.  I had a strange experience last night, during our freak snowstorm that dumped about a foot of wet snow on central NY.  I had just fed the cows near my south barn and I was walking towards the north barn to shut the hayloft doors when I thought what I heard was a calf making a one time bawling; it was getting dark and the snow was blowing hard, and I saw the "calf" and figured I had to go shoo it back into the adjacent field to get it back with the main herd, when all of a sudden it took off much faster than any cow would ever do.  I then noticed that it was a deer, and why it decided to vocalize like it did is beyond me; so close ti both the house, barns, and the cattle.  Maybe it had gotten separated from it's fawn.  Just like Charlie A said in the latest D and DH; just when you think you've seen it all, the deer go and do something entirely new.    

Return to General Discussions