Brand of Bows?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gutpile

RE: Brand of Bows?

Postby gutpile » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:30 pm

bowTech 82nd airborne.
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Martin Bengal for me, I love it.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Hunter480 that is your issue with mathews they stated the truth about another bow company. Get over it. I believe every company that makes a product rippes on the other company stating their product is better thats how it works.. I figured with how YOU attack everybody on here you wouldnt find that offensive. How do you pick which vehicle to drive they all attack the other.

I believe from some of you other post you shoot a pse. Pete Shepley has gone on tv and in magazines and stated every other bow on the market is not as good as the x-force because it is so fast which makes it better blah blah blah. How come you didnt find this offensive or a attack on all other bow manufactures, probably because you like PSE. Browning attacked Mathews in a ad once before with their illusion bow do you now hate Browning?

And please stop bringing your faith into every post. You dont always act very christian like with the way you address people always trying to start some kind of conflict. It would be nice if you could address people in here like you would to their face in a mature manner, because I highly doubt you talk to people face to face like you do on this forum.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm

There are only 2 companies bows I will shoot. Lakota Industries and LimbSaver, these companies have helped me immensely on various efforts. That said there is not a bad bow made these days. If you are loyal to a brand stay with it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:29 am

ORIGINAL: paulie

hey Woods Walker, I also shoot a Bear recurve ( 50#black bear). As of yet I havent achieved the level of skill required to hunt game with it. I will say though, it is fun to shoot. I hope someday to be good enough to pursue game with it.

I started out with a recurve in the 60's (that's all there was then), and then started shooting compounds in the 70's, which I then shot for 23 years. I bought a Bear Custom Takedown recurve from a bow club buddy in 1983, which I played with on and off for many years before I decided that I was going to make a committment to become proficient enough with it to hunt with. That was 6 years ago, and I haven't shot a compound since.....I'm having too much fun!!!!

It DOES take a lot of shooting to become consistant and confident. I have an archery range in my basement (12 yards, unless I go into the attached garage and then it's 20), and I can shoot anywhere on my 5 acres, so I shoot 10,000 to 12,000 arrows a year, not counting 3-D shoots.

Keep at it, take the time to learn to shoot it the correct way, and the skills will come....and you'll have a blast doing it!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:44 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Woods walker, what do you mean by rug shelf? The reason I ask is my buddy just inherited a long bow and it has no handle or shelf so you have to shoot it off your hand. It looks like there used to be some kind of shelf or grip on it. He would like to have something there to hold the arrow while not holding on to the bow. It sure is fun to shoot. I fletched him up some arrows and we still have em all surprisingly.

I will be the first one to confess that I know jack about longbows. I have heard of some longbows that you had to rest the arrow on your finger with...YIKES!!!!

But see the attachment for the kind of set up I'm refering to.......
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:46 am

Hey Woods, how does the arrow fly as compared to a compound? Is there as much energy in your recurve? What kind of poundage, arrow and broadhead are you shooting?

Just curious. I do not have any experience with recurves.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:18 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Hey Woods, how does the arrow fly as compared to a compound? Is there as much energy in your recurve? What kind of poundage, arrow and broadhead are you shooting?

Just curious. I do not have any experience with recurves.

An arrow shot from a stickbow flys much slower than from a compound. A stickbow that's considered FAST is one that shoots at 160 to 180 FPS. However, they are also quieter generally than from a compound for the same reason.

We try to get our hunting energy levels via arrow weight. A pretty well accepted rule of thumb is that your total arrow/broadhead weight should be 8 to 10 times your draw weight...i.e., I shoot a 28 inch arrow at 55 pounds, so with my arrow, plus feathers, nock and 125 grain Razorcap, I come in at around 495 grains. I get good arrow flight and penetration with this set up, so I really don't have any need to go heavier, especially for deer. I shoot Easton Legacy aluminum arrows in size 2016.

The physics of how an arrow shot from a compound as compared to a stickbow are different also, although I'm not enough of a mathematician to explain it to you. All I know, is that stickbow shooters generally want a cut on contact head for the best penetration. I do know that a sharp broadhead shot from a hunting weight stickbow at reasonable ranges into the kill area will go THROUGH, in many cases, any deer that walks the face of the earth.

What we lack in speed, we make up for with mass. Ultimatley, what really matters the most, regardless of what arrow or bow you use, is whether you can put the arrow in the right spot! All the speed and/or mass doesn't matter a bit if you can't hit what you're shooting for.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:26 am

"Mathews overpriced, overrated."

Ha ha!! You obviously have never shot a Mathews! ;) I've shot them all (well, most of them..hoyt, darton, PSE, bowtech, darton, jennings, bear, etc etc etc). They can all kill deer that is no doubt. However Mathews is hands-down the best in my opinion. Virtually no vibration, noise and NO tuning problems. Expensive yes but well worth it in my opinion.

Right now I shoot a DXT. Can't wait to see what they have in store for '09.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:28 am

Browning Illusion - Diamond Black Ice.

Like them both, still deciding on which I like best.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions