staying alert

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Robert Rowland

staying alert

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Has anyone used 5 hour energy while hunting?  Does it keep you alert?
I am considering getting some of this to try while on stand.

DeerCamp

RE: staying alert

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:53 pm

I have tryed it at work.. It didnt work for me and it tasted really bad. However it did work for a buddy... Guess it depends on who ya are.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:45 am

ive tried it and it did nothin for me.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:39 am

works for me...it is basically a vitamin 'overdose'  Loads your system with B vitamin and niacin and a few others that promote energy....

I have a pretty bad diet, i am the first to admit this...that is why i think it works so well for me...if you have a good diet w/ multi-vitamin, i would assume doesn't work as well.

It is far better than the other 'energy drinks' that load you with caffeine, guarine, and all those type things....they make me feel like i downed a gallon of coffee make me so jittery my focus goes the opposite direction.

I would say give one a try...you will know if it helps.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:51 am

My problem is more about staying CALM while on stand. I do not want anything that will make me more jittery or likely to move.

I'm a bit of a caffene junkie, and that's more than enouh for me.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:20 am

Im usually pretty good about being alert on stand. I do have to admit that in one instance i had fallen asleep sitting at a base of a big cottonwood and when i awoke there was a non-typical 9x5 with 2 does standing at 50yds. I was able to pull it together and harvest the buck.

See sleeping isnt all bad!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:27 am

The last thing I want to be is juiced-up on caffeine in a tree stand.

Early on in my hunting career, I OD'd on coffee before going out. I'm kind of prone to caffeine heebie-jeebies anyway.  Man, that was miserable! 

My recommendation is to munch something like peanuts to moderate my energy level-- complex food that will keep you stoked up and alert without making you jumpy.

Also: eat a good breakfast. You'll be amazed how long you can go with a good plate of biskits-n-gravy in your tank.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:42 pm

I am with you on this one Shaman get a good breakfast in you before you go out and maybe bring a snack that has always worked for me. besides you cant beat a good plate of biskits and gravy...

I dont think that stuff is all that good for your heart is it? Have heard it makes your heart race no reason to stress the heart out during the whole hunt it will get enough of that when the old swamp monster steps out at 20 yards..

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 am

I dont need anything to make me jittery.

coach

Postby coach » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Like everybody else after on stand or in a blind for awhile, we all get the zzzz feeling.  I think its just normal.  There's video's with all the top hunters you see on t.v.  they also sometimes snooze on watch. 
 That's why most of them hunt in the morning....comes back to camp....and goes back out fot the late
afternoon.  During the peek of the rut...its always nice to stay longer. (if you can)
If you can't...and a big buck goes by your stand when your at camp....lol....that's what you call hunting.

Do like I do....try to find a ridge with a runway below edging a swamp, lake, river..ect.  This way you don't need a treestand.  You can just sit on a chair, lean against the tree, look below and dream a little.
Like my Father use to say....when you sleep, you don't move or make noise.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Next

Return to General Discussions