How Many Treestands Do You Have/Use?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

How Many Treestands Do You Have/Use?

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:58 am

I was wondering how many treestands you have and use during the season?How many do you have to use to be successful? How often do you hunt one stand before you feel it's over hunted? I hear all sort's of pro's say the more the better.

I have 6 tree stands, and I have them all out this year besides one. (Im using it as a back up if all eles fails.) I try to change things up everynow and then, I dont want to over hunt one. Ill try to hunt the stand only 3 or 4 times in a row before going to another.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

passin through

RE: How Many Treestands Do You Have/Use?

Postby passin through » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:10 am

Too dadgum many!  Deerstands total in the woods right now?  10, I think with 2 more old abandoned box blinds I cant get out with out damaging some pines so I have to wait till next year when they thin the property.  I've got 4 more sitting at the camp that could be put out.  theres 3 or 4 old ladder stands laying around too that are mine that my brother has put the 5 finger discount on and then left in whatever secret spot he was hunting.  I seem to collect the things some how....Too many bit me last night....I hunted a ground blind on my property even though my gut said go hunt the food plot lean too (my wifes spot)....I saw 7 does and a bobcat.  The wild view recorded 10 different bucks, seven of which where 6 point or better and 3 of which were borderline Pope's.......all before dark and all using the trail 20 yards in front of that stand I shunned.......Nuts!

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:18 am

14 total stand locations

3 ladder stands

1 climbing stand

1 old wooden stand

4 year round hang on stands

5 trees with steps and 1 hang on that goes in and out with me

(These are spread over 2 hunting locations in 2 states. Roughly 120 acres total.)

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:20 am

35 spread over 4 different properties. Ones 50, ones 250, and 2 are 10 acres. They are not all "mine" but I can sit in them. Most are ladders, the rest are chain ins.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 am

I have twelve stands total, and several spots ready for stands with shooting lanes and step holes pre drilled.  I hunt 3 farms 475 ac., 320 ac. and 290 acres, plus 330 acres of woods that I don't hunt much because of the long drive.  I normally use my climber there.  I could probably get by with less and use my climber more, but I think it's much easier and quite to use a fixed stand. It's also nice to have several stands so your prepared for any wind direction.

3 ladders ( I share these with my dad, he's welcome to mine but he don't use them for safety reasons.)

7 hang-ons in use

2  hang-ons on standby if I find hot spot where I don't have a stand

1 climber
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:16 am

YES ONE TREESTAND.

Why you ask? I have the most mobility and the best climber ever made.  I can go to any spot on any property in any state and only sport 12 pds on my back on the way in and out. But, then again, I am still young (at least I feel young) and can still climb a tree like a monkey.  My relatives have stands on our land, but I avoid them just like the deer do and try to ambush in new spots every three or four sits.  I scout and mark locations well before the season starts in my GPS and just hit those spots with my climber when the wind, time of year, and/or feeling is right. Too many stands becomes more like work than a hobby and I've noticed my preperation is next to nothing, besides clipping a few branches for a shooting lane with my snips before I start climbin'.  Oh, and picking the right tree out, but I do that when I scout anyway beforehand.  I wouldn't trade my Lone Wolf for 50 new ladder stands.  But that is only one method and practice.  Different strokes, different folks.  I may entertain the idea of the EZ hang system by Lone Wolf.  which allows you to have multiple straps for hanging in your trees year round and one stand for an easy setup without climbing with the actual treestand.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 am

5 Buddy-style ladder stands that form the main core of my hunting venues.

3 single-man ladders permanently located at locations that I use as back-up.

3 climbers that I can deploy if the deer get wise and I need to reposition quickly.

2  Hang-ons with climbing sticks I can deploy if I want to test a location.

. . .  I have not needed to deploy the latter 5 since 2004. In fact all my deer have come from 3 of the buddy stands since 2005.   We put two buddy stands up in new locations this year so my #2 son would have good spots to hunt on his own. They have already produced 1 deer and several other shooting opportunities.

All told I have 25 stand locations that I have identified on a map of our 200 acres.  These have been prepared for rapid deployment if the need arises.  The tree has been prepped for either a climbing stand or a ladder, an approach to the stand has been cleared, and I've made sure there are ample shooting lanes.  Generally the reasons I don't use all these locations are because:

1)  They are close to adjoining property and I prefer to stay in the middle of the property when I can.
2)  They are in places where it would be hard to get a deer out
3)  My freezer is full before I have an inclination to use them.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 am

Passin through,I feel your pain brother(been there)! I myself, have two hang ons,three ladder stands(two singles one double), a climber, an Ameristep "doghouse" pop up ground blind, and I have one (elevated)'box blind' on the property I hunt. Just last week I set up the pop up on the edge of a fresh cut bean field,(about 60 yrds from the box blind). A doe busted it right off,shortly there after, another doe and a little five point(coming from the other direction nailed me. the next night I hunted the box blind(figured I'd let the pop up settle down for a day or two). shortly before dark, a nice eight point come out of the standing corn, and thrashed a defenseless sapling just out of range(bout 56yrds), and then proceeded(down the same trail the doe and small buck used the night before) to enter the field 25 yrds in front of the pop up(which was empty) right at dark! I was kinda surprised that the night before, those deer picked me off so quick(the first one, from 200 yrds across the field). I was even more surprised(and disgusted) the the eight point act'ed as if the damn blind was'nt even there! I guess thats why its called huntin,not shooting!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:18 am

[font=tahoma]7 total[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]4 hang on stands[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]2 ladder stands[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]1 climber[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 am

With about 300 hundred acres to hunt we have 5 ladder stands, 1 tripod and 1 hut that we can use.  I would like a couple more for a couple areas but right we are doing ok with what we have.  We have differn't stands for differn't winds.

Next

Return to General Discussions