public hunting grounds and public hunters

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Demoderby4

RE: public hunting grounds and public hunters

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:30 pm

I didn't mean i wasn't proud of the deer, i meant i was not proud of myself for not having the will power to let them walk, i guess i shouldn't of posted the post all together, everybody is getting the wrong impression of me and my views apparetly, i'll just delete it so this bickering stops. I respect deer more than i respect many things, i def did not mean it like that. Sorry for all the hassle this seems to be causing.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Ok that's better stated!

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:04 pm

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

I didn't mean i wasn't proud of the deer, i meant i was not proud of myself for not having the will power to let them walk, i guess i shouldn't of posted the post all together, everybody is getting the wrong impression of me and my views apparetly, i'll just delete it so this bickering stops. I respect deer more than i respect many things, i def did not mean it like that. Sorry for all the hassle this seems to be causing.

why delete what you posted, why does everybody get one negative response then want to delet the post..
I have hunted public land heard all the stories of bullets flying everywhere people lying on the ground, total mayhem the whole time, then when I go there these people seem to be gone, for some odd reason. Do I doubt it happens probably not, do I think people exaggerate Surely..I myself have no problem telling someone what I think if I seen any of that I would let em know what I think. as for multiple shots on critters, well bad shots happen sometimes, and a second maybe a third is needed the animal deserves that..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:22 am

Here is my take for what it's worth.

Well as analogy just think of a crowded day at a public lake (which almost all them are) on a busy holiday weekend with all the people and their boats, jet skis, etc... You get the picture. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a watercraft zooming around. Hunting public land during opening day of firearms can be very similar. It depends on where you are at. There are a mix of people some experienced, some good and not so good. Mix the very few in that don't give rats butt about anything but themselves and throw in some alcohol/and or other stuff to boot and you will get some dangerous stiuations. I do not envy the DNR at those times nor people who do not have the privilage of hunting private property and choose to hunt at those times.

However, on the flip side those same few bad apples will usually tire themselves out from being idiots (I personaly have been and idiot from time to time[:'(] and been a victim of someone who is suffering from a bout of idiocy[8|] although the older I get I am less likey to being an idiot cause I know better, or ummm, hope so anyway[:)]...) and they will give up relatively quickly leaving the woods before and after that peak lunacy period of the opening days relatively free for more conscience and serious hunters who do hunt, ummm for lack of a better term, "appropriately to the situation at hand." The deer will still be there albiet far more "educated" and wary.

My advice is to either hunt using an alternative method (like bow or crossbow) to hunt prior to or after gun season (if your area allows) or wait until the peak lunacy period is over and get good at hunting pressured deer (adapt to the situation kinda like the deer are forced to do), or as stated above try and get permission to hunt private land and keep the land owner happy (Even though the private land I hunt is owned by extended family I still offer to help and/or give them the first deer that comes off their land as a thank you).

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:55 am

All i hunt is public land so i guess thats makes me a public hunter.I don't wear blaze orange and never been shot at.I have never shot at anybody. I don't worry about another hunter shooting a deer that i let walk by.I guess thats makes me lucky as a public nuisance .I mean hunter. 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:43 am

WOW, you hunt public land and don't wear blaze orange???  You are a brave man!  Question too, is it not a requirement in your state to wear some sort of blaze orange when hunting public land?

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:28 pm

Wow, I can't believe the way you all look at folks who hunt public ground.  I killed my first two deer on public ground both bucks both with a bow one was nice mature buck scoring in the 130's, and no I don't drink or sling lead at everything that moves.  Some of my best hunting moments have come from public ground. 

I actually took my climber and hunted that land again earlier this season and yes I saw several deer and no I didn't wear blaze orange.  I guess our public ground must be different from yours.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Blaze orange is not mandatory when hunting public land .Yet.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:05 am

Don't get me wrong about public land and the people who hunt there. (When the opportunity arises I hunt them as well). The great majority of the time it will be a positive experience and probably productive as you stated?
However, since public land is open to the general public and during certain times (as per my analogy like a holiday weekend at a small and crowded lake) you will get a potential mix people that were as described above. That is just human nature.

I never, ever said or implied a stereotype of "public land hunters" are "fill in your own blank here" nor did I get the impression that the original poster had the intention of belittling them for hunting public land. Sounded like he was just voicing his frustration with a relative few that frankly can be encountered on private land whether they have permission to be there or not (trespassing). It is just less likely to occur due to the decrease in the amount of people present at those specific times. That is just a fact.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

hunts2long

Postby hunts2long » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:07 am

These days I hunt State Land about 30 to 40% of the time...Yes the first weekend you do see a few more hunters in the woods but for the most part they seem to be "hunters"...State land can be hard hunting but I find that after the 1st weekend and maybe Thanksgiving the area has no hunters...I hunt alone most of the time and having others in the woods has helped....I am sure I know the woods better than they do so I use them to my advantage....Doug

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions