Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
duckunder

Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

Postby duckunder » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:53 am

Just wondering if anyone out there drives a ATV to your stand?  Some people think the deer don't mind it at all, and some believe the deer are bolting away as soon as they hear that machine in the woods.....  What do you guys think ?

NWPAHunter

RE: Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

Postby NWPAHunter » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:38 am

I use it to get close, then walk.      CLOSE is a relative term, depending on my stand selection that daythats how I decide where I park and I have ny routines spots. I usually park no closer than a quartermile and not much farther than a half mile from my stand, and spray down with scent killer thouroghly after I shut the machine off.  I have had many deer just stand and look as I drive by and others are white flags in the wind....... Dont get too close and you should be okay.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:44 am

I really don't know how much ATV's effect deer.  We drive ours all the time on our property year round so the noise would be nothing new to a deer.  That being said, I've never driven one right up to a stand, I'll usually park at least an 1/8 mile a way or so if I'm using an ATV.

We tend to see plenty of deer even if we use the ATV's, but I can't say what deer we're not seeing that may have been spooked.  Maybe one of those 7.5 year old monsters.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 am

DO Not...do not drive atv.....I drive mine all the time...this weekend..resident don't care they will look at you drive right by....non resident deer....MUture Bucks..don't like them...

I spooked the biggest buck that has ever been seen on my property this weekend....my buddy was hunting a 1/4 mile form me i got down started it up and spooked the huge monster that he was waiting to turn broad side...i wasn't even close to him.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:06 pm

I try and refrain from smelling like a BP station.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 pm

It depends on a lot of things as to how close I will drive in.. If the weather is rough Ill drive closer.. If its nice Ill usally park about a block away. I will never drive it right to the stand or with in view.. Like I said if its rotten weather Ill drive about a half block from my stand (city half block) and if its nice a block from the stand again ( city block).
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:53 pm

I have a friend whowears Scent-Loc, sprays everything down with scent-killer, wears masking scents, etc,......and then he drives his ATV 150 yards from his stand and parks it........WTH??????????

Maybe they need to make a scent-loc suit for ATVs, along with a clothes dryer that can get to 1200 degrees!!!!  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:03 pm

We drive our ATV around our property all the time.  We have 2 sides of our property(road splits it in half.)  On one half of the road where we drive our four-wheeler the most we see a few big bucks and does but also on that side there are amish and they will shoot any deer that walks in front of them.  On the other side we don't use the ATV as much and have alot more big bucks from what we can tell.  There aren't amish near that property and everyone lets the small ones go by.  

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26 pm

We drive our Ranger all the time on our property and it doesn't seem to affect the deer. When we check our fields at night and look for deer they usually stay feeding and aren't bothered; however, if you shut the machine off the deer will often run. We have many atv roads going through our woods and the deer have numerous trails crossing them so they are used to that too. Also, I normally park a good distance from my stand- probably 1/8 or 1/4 mile.
Kyle

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:57 pm

i dont and would never ride my atv anywhere near my stand when hunting. i wouldnt even get on an atv with my hunting clothes on. i go to so much effort to keep myself "clean" of human odors when hunting, why get ready to hunt just to jump on the atv that smells like gas and the seat thats all sweaty from plunking your sweaty a** on it all summer? theyre loud and smelly, im not really sure why you would want to get very close to your stand with it. i can understand that it may not bother deer that are used to hearing it if you ride it all the time in the area. but i personally dont ride anything any closer to my stand than i take my truck. i walk just a hair over a half mile to get to my stands back in the swamp i hunt, worth the exercise and extra minutes walking to know i left my truck plenty far away. if i was going to ride my atv that half mile, i would just drive my truck. but every area is different, you can park pretty close to your stand in some areas. if i was going to be riding an atv, i would at least keep my hunting gear in the plastic tote and get dressed after im done riding. sometimes access is an issue and you need to ride an atv to get closer, thats understandable. but i would definitely be very careful to evalute the area and only park as close as is reasonable for not spooking the deer youll be hunting.

Next

Return to General Discussions