Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

RE: Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:24 am

In MI I can ride an ATV to my shanty if I want. But I don't. I'll park it at the barn and walk to the woods. I've actually walked up on deer doing so. Much more gratifying.
My uncle drives his right next to his shanty. Deer walk right up to him (never a buck though)

In FL, every place I will hunt does NOT allow ATV's. You either park at a desginated area and walk, or on your hunt days they allow you to drive on the "roads" and park along side the road. Nothing motorized allowed in the woods.

[align=center] [/align]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:30 pm

One year the hunting club i was in was doing a deer drive.2 of us drove our atvs where we were going to stand "watch".After the drive was over i talked to some of the "drivers" they said there were does everywhere but could not get them to move off the mountain.The next day we did the same "drive" with the exception of the "watchers",we walked to the same spots. Four does came by me and i missed a big buck ,the other guy shot a spike.I have seen more deer and killed a few more by walking.My atv has spider webs on it .As mentioned early by someone else, i believe that does and young bucks will tolerate the noise but i believe that a mature buck will not.  
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:23 pm

The Land Owner on the Lease we hunt will not allow you drive 4-Wheelers around or to our stands,they drive them all the time early in the year but will not during Deer Season,they have actually seen Deer run up to and past them from being scared away when the adjoining Neighbors drove their ATV's to their stands and scared the Deer onto their property where they only allow walking in to their hunting locations.

Now on a different out-look on the situation...when we drive the Farm Tractor to do work around the Farm I have drove within 30-50 yards from feeding Deer and they let us drive past them without running away or they run a few yards and stare back at us and when the Father In-law drives his old Dodge truck the Deer seem to know there is no danger from him and they stay into view?

coach

Postby coach » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:09 pm

The way I look at it.....where I hunt, there is no farmland or anything.  A few lumber roads, or trails I should say so any unusual noise is bad noise.

Its hard enough to shoot a big mature buck, can you imagine trying to shoot one who knows your there.  I'm not saying its not possible, I'm saying I beleive you would increase your chances by leaving your bike further.

good luck

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:56 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I have a friend whowears Scent-Loc, sprays everything down with scent-killer, wears masking scents, etc,......and then he drives his ATV 150 yards from his stand and parks it........WTH??????????

Maybe they need to make a scent-loc suit for ATVs, along with a clothes dryer that can get to 1200 degrees!!!!  [:D]

Ahhh, Someone has done their research on the all might carbon clothing...
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Previous

Return to General Discussions