Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

RE: Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:13 pm

viperman, I salute you! You are a rarity these days.....a deer hunter that actually WALKS!

There are fewer and fewer of us every year......
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

I would not drive the atv first I dont want any sound in the woods to alert the deer I dont care how far from your stand you park the thing. Second I dont want any gas, oil, exhaust smell on me you go through all these steps to remain scent free then get on a gas powered machine doesnt make much sense to me.

Deer get spooky around atv's resident deer or non-resident deer I dont care, everytime I am sitting in a tree stand with deer infront of me and a atv drives by the deer get jumpy and some walk off.

I enjoy the walk to my stand and have seen plenty of deer taking a slow walk from the cabin to the stand. One of my stands is around 3/4 a mile from the cabin its a great walk and always see deer. I have found some other good stand sights from walking because you can take notice of fresh deer sign.

Remember deer can pattern you like you can them and if you drive a atv to your stand they will take notice and stay away, till after dark.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:59 am

Let me say at the onset that I've driven a truck within sight of my stand-- probably inside 70 yards.  I've gotten out, set a climber, gotten into the climber and then hunted successfully.  Not only that, but I repeated the feat two years running and got two of my best bowkill bucks from this setup.

I don't think a parked ATV parked 100 yards out has that much of an effect on deer hunting.  What DOES seem to have an effect is the noise of driving the contraption around in the woods.  I frequently make  jibes at the Orange Army-- those fellows who come out once a year on Opening Day and drive their ATVs around the hills surrounding my farm and do such a nice job of driving deer onto my property.  It's true.  It's all true. You can come out on Opening Day and listen.  It's an absolute hoot. You have all these guys in orange vests and hats essentially acting as beaters for poor little old me.

I walk the half mile from the house out to my stand.  I get there a good half hour earlier than the neighbors, and I get to listen to everyone crank up their ATVs and ride on out to their stands. On more than one occasion, I've heard deer crashing about in the woods a couple of hundred yards ahead of ATV.  When I really see the effect is around 10 AM when everyone has enough and crank up their ATVs to come out.  It can be an absolute free-for-all in the woods from 10 to 11 AM with machines running this way and that and deer running every which way trying to get out of the way.  There are no machines running on my property, so the deer have a tendancy to all come over to my place.

My conclusion out of all this is that deer are not all that sensitive to the sight or stink of an ATV, but they are extremely  sensitive to the sound and movement.  If you need to drive an ATV, go in early, park well away and try to keep it all as quiet as possible. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 am

I don't use an ATV for hunting, for one if theres a even the slightest chance of spooking deer, I don't do it.  I don't spend hundreds dollars and many hours making sure I'm scent free to go out and stink up the place with a four wheeler.  Second, I enjoy the hike and pushing myself to get out and hunt where others don't, you can't beat a good long hike with a climber on your back, dragging them out's even better.  It's all part of the hunt and a part I enjoy.  The one reason I will probably never use an ATV for hunting is land access.  From my expirience land owners have had too many bad expiriences with people on four wheelers, and assume everyone that uses is one is drunk, reckless and lacks respect for the land and the people who make a living off of it.  I've had on few occasians where that would have been the deal breaker when gaining access to new hunting ground. 

Shaman I know what you mean about all the four wheelers on opening day it sounds like a motocross, out where I hunt. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:40 am

I personally don't own one but my brother-in-law has a gator that we use for hauling deer out and putting stands up,etc. IME, resident, and young deer exposed to ATV's tend to ignore them in a routine setting.

Change the routine and all bets are off.

Myself, I don't believe driving one all over creation improves your chances of killing a mature buck. And to varying degrees, all deer are way more relaxed about vehicles and people in the dark.

The gator type of vehicle is obviously different than a conventional ATV in that you are not straddling a smelly engine. If I were to begin using an ATV to get back in somewhere, I would have a dedicated set of coveralls to wear while operating it.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 am

One other data point I want to bring into this:

I drive an S-10 crew cab and use it the same way folks use an ATV.  I drive it off road at the farm a lot, and I was exceedingly busy setting and re-setting stands throughout September this year.  This was all done in the most sensitive areas for deer on my farm.

Chief among the projects was conquering Virginia-- code name for the previously unhunted finger ridge that we are exploiting this year so that my son has a fresh place to hunt on his own.  To start things off, I spent an afternoon with the S-10 dragging dead cedar trees out and blazing a trail back to within 50 yards of the stand site.  For all this hub-bub, I was coming out last Friday at last light and bumped our resident monster buck "Chandelier" on his evening sojourn.  Chandelier used the track of the S-10 to run and hide back in the depths of Virginia.

Similarly, we've been doing work with several other stand locations. In each situation, the deer not only seem to ignore the S-10's activities, but they seem to be somewhat curious as to the goings on.

Let me also add that I frequently call back to the house at the end of a hunt and have KYHillChick come out and pick me up with the S-10-- with or without the need to transport a dead deer.  I do this so that I don't get all hot and sweaty on the way out and it saves my hunting clothes (yeah, right!)  My point in bringing this up is that KYHillChick regularly rolls right to or right past one of my stands.  We can come back in a week and  the deer are unaffected. I honestly think the truck is less of a hassle to the deer than walking on foot.

Two things to remember in relating this to an ATV:

1)  A truck is MUCH less noisy than an ATV.  I can hear both from my stand when the Orange Army is out in force.  I hear the ATV's engine noise.  The only way I hear the trucks at a distance is when they throw pebbles or roll over big logs or rocks or slam a car door or gate.
2)  A truck is enclosed-- much different than a man on an ATV.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:36 am

Deer are curious creatures.  Even though I don't use a 4wheeler to go my stand I have witnessed deer around when you think they would have been long gone.  During the summer we work on the property I hunt to help out the land owner in turn for his allowing us to hunt, a friends father-in-law owns the land in SW Alabama.  Two summers ago the land owner was using a bulldozer to clear out dead trees in an area so he could re-plant pines.  The man is 78 years old and goes non-stop working to improve his property.  He had been bulldozing for serveral hours when the bulldozer went quiet.  Worried something might have happened to him I hopped on the 4wheeler to go check on him and when I entered the opening in the woods he had created with the bulldozer 3 deer were standing near the idle bulldozer and ran off when they saw me.  He had the EZ-GO with him and had left the field in the other direction.  I was shocked that only 10-15 minutes after that bulldozer shut down there were deer standing in the open field he just created.  Just goes to show you deer are very curious.

During hunting season we don't take the 4wheelers or any other vehicle in the woods.  Most of our stands are within a half mile of the house so we get our exercise.  Sometimes we find deer going on a walk about.  When it's a warm sunny day down here in the south the deer bed down, walking down a trail can sometime spook them to jump up and run.  A buddy of mine proved all it takes is a good wistle to get them to stop and pow, you've scored a deer on a day when nothing was moving.  Bow season opens next this next Wednesday in Alabama and yes I'm ready! 

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:01 am

I don't own an ATV but have contemplated buying a used one . I am 67 and walk almost a mile to one of my stands and it's a bit rough to drag one from there but you gotta hunt the deer where they are .... Another stand is about 300 yards from a stand and I have watched seer walk past my S-10 from across the field . I think they get use to trucks , etc in farm country .
My oldest son has a Honda Rubicon ATV and it stays at his hilly camp property . If someone shoots a deer early in the am , he had better drag it back to camp or wait until noon to use the ATV . Don't want to spoil anyone elses hunt .
Two years ago I shot a good sized doe on a hilly property . Took my bow and pack to my truck after field dressing the deer and got my sled . It was about a 600 drag all uphill and I thought I would croak . My youngest son was hunting across the gully about 150 yards from my stand . He asked if I needed help (we carry 2-ways) and I sald NO so he could continue hunting . An ATV would have been awesome at that moment !  

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 am

I honestly think the truck is less of a hassle to the deer than walking on foot.
[quote]ORIGINAL: shaman

I totally agree shaman, ask any farmer and they will tell you of deer standing around watching the tractor- until someone shuts it off and gets out of it. Also, a longtime trick is to pick someone up after a hunt via a truck driving right up to the stand where possible, rather than getting out and possibly spooking a smart buck.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:28 am

Well... apparently I just quoted myself. Is that even legal in NY?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions