Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
duckunder

RE: Driving 4wheelers to your stand...

Postby duckunder » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks for all the advice..

I guess I should explain my situation..
Where I hunt is about a mile from the road, and I have to actually go up and over a ridge and down the other side to my stand ( well, my good stand anyway ) .....  So what I've been doing is driving the four wheeler up the near side of the hill and parking it two thirds of the way up the hill.... I then get off the machine and go up and over the ridge and walk down about 100 yards to my stand... Seems to be working good, because I've seen deer within 10 min of me getting in my stand........ So in this case, I don't think the deer are hearing me come up the other side of the hill.....  AS far as being concerned about deer smelling gas on me, I don't really think that's an issue ( well, unless of course you spill some on you ) ... I am more worried about giving off human oder rather than other foreign smells to the deer....

Just my two cents........

Good luck to everyone, the rut is right around the corner.....

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:55 am

Well, i didn't think my atv spooked deer either but found out that the deer you spook are the deer you never see...

I have driven my atv by many deer on my property but if i really think about it they are doe or younger bucks..and most are younger doe also...

mature 3.5 or older deer don't like anything out of the ordinary...they know the woods and know what sounds should be there and shouldn't....

because i never saw deer spook i thought i wasn't bothering the deer and i see plenty of deer so I thought they don't mind the atv...until i spooked a deer my buddy was going to shoot at 10:00 in the mourning as i got down, started the atv ..i was a 1/4 away and drove a trail away from where he was...

that buck it the high rode....my buddy is pissed...it was a great buck ..would have dressed out over two hundred pounds and scored in the 130's - 140's

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:06 am

I used to bait a couple stands with my atv.  The deer figured out that the sound of the atv was the dinner bell.  More than once I have been dropped off by atv and within five minutes had deer com to the bait.  I know that the sound of an atv helped me in those situations and I have found that spook a deer, buck or doe, much worse by walking by them than by driving.

duckunder

Postby duckunder » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:09 am

yeah, that's a good point, I guess I dont really know what i did or didn't spook....  I guess the main reason for me useing the atv, is It seems like I get swetting pretty bad climbing that hill, so this way, I don't sweat at all..... But yeah, I see where you are coming from too.... Maybe I just need to get in better shape so I don't sweat soo much.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:45 am

You quoted yourself and then posted that you had done that . Looks like you're trying to run up your post count ! [8|][:D][:D][:D]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:50 am

I use to walk ALL THE TIME, I mean for miles and miles if I had to.. There was no walk Id turn down.. Infact I went out a scouting trip witha  friend who doesnt like to walk a few years ago... My other buddy asked my friend I went with, why he's going with me? I wasnt his type he told my friend. Said Ill walk for days on end.  Sadly I tore my ACL in hockey and its hard on my knees to walk so far now. Ill walk as much as I can but I bought a 4-wheeler just to help myself out.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

You quoted yourself and then posted that you had done that . Looks like you're trying to run up your post count ! [8|][:D][:D][:D]

Huh? Hey, are there prizes for that? [:D]

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:19 am

All of my lease is park at the gate and walk to your stand.

Stevens

Postby Stevens » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Sounds like there isn't much of a consensus among hunters. We drive our truck out to the middle of our property between two fields and then walk to the woods about a 1/4 to 1/8 mile away. The more i think about it, the more i wonder about how many deer you spook that you don't even see. I don't think walking would ever spook more deer than ATV's. Biggest buck i've ever seen/shot was a 150-160 class that i got literally five minutes after taking a nap in the truck. Just can't explain these animals

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:59 am

My truck is parked in the driveway, ATV in the garage, and about a mile walk to my stand. The ATV only leaves to pick up a deer. But from the moment I leave the house to walk to my stand, I can come across a deer just mere yards from the road. Last year my brother walked up on a 160 class 15 point non-typical 50 yards from the road behind a tree but he wasnt paying attention. (neighbor got em opening day of shotgun) I think you take away possible opportunities by driving in and out on a normal basis. And besides, the walk is good exercise.
Venison - the other red meat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions