Deer Travel: Winter Yards

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dmcianfa

Deer Travel: Winter Yards

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:23 am

I recently was speaking with a fellow hunter from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, specifically Baraga County even farther up north than I am.  In any case, he was telling me that deer typically this far north, where he hunts in the winter (when bad enough with snow and severely harsh conditions) will travel up to 80 miles to wintering yards south where the food and shelter is much more bearable.  I am a yooper myself and I have my doubts that deer will travel this far to winter, but I need someone to tell me if this is true or not and actually have facts or sound reasoning to back up their answers.  If so, how far is the farthest a deer will travel to winterize?  Are there tagged instances that one can attest to?   A biologist would be nice that knows a thing or two about northern deer populations.  Boy, where is John Ozoga when you need him?
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

hunts2long

RE: Deer Travel: Winter Yards

Postby hunts2long » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:38 am

I am NO expert but I do know that the area that I hunt is in the foot hills of the Adirondacks, that deer move into late in the season and early winter. The area gets some hunting pressure during the season and ALL these deer are not there at that time....I believe they are moving down off the larger hills in favor of the softwood swamps and also to the few people that in the past have fed deer during the winter....also, there is more private land that is seeing more logging going on so that helps with newer growth and tops on the ground for food...Doug

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:07 am

I had always heard that deer above the 45th parallel had a tendency to migrate. However, I have not heard anything about it in years.  Somewhere in the back of my head, I remember a guy from MI telling me that the deer used to migrate from up around Traverse City downstate in the dead of winter. 

I have seen deer yarding up down here in Cincinnati.  It seems to take a lot of snow and a lot of cold.  We have tremendous deer concentrations here in Hamilton County-- 460+/sq mi in one section called Mt Airy.  I have seen a herd of 40 individuals hanging out right next to the highway for days on end. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:11 am

That's very interesting and a lot of deer per square mile.  I'm riding the fence on how far they may actually migrate, but I found this article as well while doing some searching. 

http://upwhitetails.com/projects.html
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:06 pm

Can't remember exactly where I read it, but I do remember reading that deer will travel over 50 miles in that part of the world.

Return to General Discussions