How Far Will Deer Travel To Get To A Feeding Area

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
WiredToHunt

How Far Will Deer Travel To Get To A Feeding Area

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:27 pm

Wondering if anyone has any solid numbers on far a deer will typically travel to go from a bedding area to a food source. I hunt an area that is about 2/3 of a mile from a large tract of apple and corn fields and I am curious if the deer bedding near my area are making the trek all the way to this agriculture. Any thoughts?

hunter480

RE: How Far Will Deer Travel To Get To A Feeding Area

Postby hunter480 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Well, the short answer is, deer will travel whatever distance necessary to get to a food source.

Safety is a factor in determing where they will bed, and the closer to the food source they can bed they will, but I`ve know of deer to travel better than a half mile to reach food, and likely, there are greater distances documented.

Again, there are no hard and fast rules that apply, each herd and area dynamic is entirely different, but just as you and I would do, the white-tails will make whatever travel necessary to feed.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:57 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Well, the short answer is, deer will travel whatever distance necessary to get to a food source.

Exactly
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:15 am

Hunter480 hit the nail on the head with his reply.  In my mind, the best way to determine if they are moving the 2/3 mile or not is to cover the area in-between to determine if there are suitable bedding areas for deer.  If there are, they PROBABLY aren't making the whole trip, otherwise they would just use the closer bedding area.  There are a lot of ifs, however, such as local deer population, safe travel routes, etc.  If you don't find suitable bedding in-between, it does up the possibility that they could be making the travel daily.  Also, look at their current bedding and see if you can find the same type/quantity of food source closer. 

Funny thing about deer hunting.  The more I do it, the more if's I find.  I wish it was as easy as I used to think it was.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:11 am

i know for a fact that ive seen deer move over a half mile to get to some agriculture. However that trip was pretty safe for them considering they moved thru young growth and pine's. i guess youd just have to assess your situation but defiantly dont rule it out.

Return to General Discussions