Your Ethics

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
GTOHunter

RE: Your Ethics

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:22 pm

When I was younger Deer were pretty scarce and if you saw a decent Deer you had better shoot it...as I grew older and the Deer population got larger I was able to pick and choose what I wanted to hunt.When certain Predators are in Season I can decide wether or not to shoot them,sorry but coyotes are usually in season 90% of the time around here and they are going down if I see one.Last year I was hunting during Rifle Deer Season and I had a coyote run past my stand...I choose not to shoot it because it was the first weekend of Deer Season and I didn't want to ruin any chance of scaring the Deer away from my area.I saw 3 Bobcats the same day and couldn't shoot them because they weren't in Season yet...and I'd love to get one and have it mounted!Like most have stated here....I will not shoot squirrels,doves or rabbits if I'm not going to eat them,I can't see taking an animals life and waste them.If it is winter time and I shoot a coyote I give them to my Neighbor who is a Trapper,and on a side note if it wasn't for Trappers we would be over-run with racoons,beaver,foxes and coyotes!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:24 pm

I shoot lots of things i dont eat,crows for example.coyote's still trying.i dont believe this has anything to do with ethics.I only shoot deer that i will eat.after all its alot of work to hunt ,shoot,gut ,drag butcher etc.My definition of ethics is doing the right thing even though know body looking and knowone will know what you did. 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:52 pm

I have a sincere question for those of you that responded that you won't shoot a deer that you won't eat.

Does this include deer that someone said they would take if you shot it? For example someone else in you hunting group, or maybe a non-hunting friend, or even a deer for charity donation.
Obviously these would be LEGAL kills, with your tag on it.

My farmer friend wants us to shoot as many antlerless deer as we legally can. I oblige him when possible (he suffers from a LOT of crop damage), and what I can't use, I give to friends who can use it, or even Hunters For The Hungry.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:38 am

Every year i harvest a deer or two for friends who dont hunt but like venison. both of these friends have families and could use the meat to save a few dollars. there is nothing wrong with providing someone else with game. just dont shoot something then search for someone to take it. I only consume 2 deer a year but i hunt the entire season if possible unless theres no need for any more meat for me or others.
Venison - the other red meat

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:57 pm

actually im planning on donating a deer this year if  do well as im running out of space and its a great cause.havent done it before  cuz i never got that many
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:35 pm

trappers really do know their stuff. im not much of a trapper. i do it, but i've gone out there all on my own and have been trying to teach myself and learn from books i read. trapping is definitely one of those things you benefit from having someone teach you about. anyway, i just wanted to comment on how i agree that good trappers are some of the most knowledgable outdoorsman out there. attention to detail is crucial. bowhunting is childs play compared to what some trappers observe and do to be good. like was also posted, successful coyote and fox trappers can teach us all a thing or two about scent control. and in Wisconsin, you have to check your traps every day. in fact, you cant leave your traps out over night. i believe legal trapping hours are from 4 am to 10 pm maybe? i dont actually remember off hand, it actually has been 2 years since ive trapped. but last time i trapped, i do recall the rule being that you cant just set your traps and leave them 24 hours, they have to be pulled in for a few hours each night.

but to reply to the actual original post, i have changed in the way i hunt over the years, but im not really sure if i would say my ethics have changed. ive made decisions as a younger, less experienced hunter that went against what i held as the most ethical thing to do, and today i have matured and dont make those same decisions. so my ethics have remained the same, i have just grown and make better use of following those ideals. take shot opportunity for example. i have always known and talked the talk about waiting for the best and most high percentage shot opportunity, but especially as a young lad with little experience, i rarely was able to walk the walk in the heat of the moment. now, i am much more aware of my abilities and what it takes to have a truly high percentage shot opportunity, and i am able to wait for those opportunities now. i shoot a lot less often at game, but i rarely lose wounded game or waste shots like i did back in the day. so for me, my ethics havent really changed, but my ability to back those ethics up with my decisions and actions has changed.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:47 am

So we always hold the same "ethics" it's just our delivery of these "ethics" that change, or the way we use em..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Previous

Return to General Discussions