Rubber boot odors

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bobow

Rubber boot odors

Postby bobow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:32 pm

I am a complete newbie to bow hunting this year.  I have read and enjoyed the posts on this entire forum.

The question I have is, is there anyway to cover or eliminate the new rubber smell on boots other than leaving them outside for a year?

Bigfoot

RE: Rubber boot odors

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:21 pm

i've worn brand new rubber boots out before,and the deer didnt pay any attention

maybe wait for a rainy day and go out and "muddy" them up?

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:43 pm

bobow,
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of bowhunting!

To answer your question:
1.  Wash your new rubber boots with warm water (and maybe some scent free soap).
2.  Spray them down with scent killer spray every time you use them
3.  Leave them outside for a few days here and there.

At least that's what I do.

Be sure to kjeep us posted on your bowhunting endevours!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:58 pm

I've had my rubber boots outside, under the deck since last winter and they still smell like...well, rubber. 

A liberal dose of scent killer spray never hurt anything and I will often try to drag my feet through a cow pie as I walk to the stand.

But I think the real advantage of rubber boots is that they will not absorb any other odors. Leather will.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:19 pm

I agree with JPH. My boots are an old pair and they smell the same as they did when I bought them. I equate it like this. We ride ATV's to and from stands, and the rubber tires never seem to bother the deer!! 

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:03 am

I checked my cache last night and found some scent free body soap in a liquid or gel form.

I washed them down last night and set them back outside and this morning it seemed to make a big difference. 

Thanks for the help!

As a side note, due to my age and physical limitations I have been hunting out of a Double Bull Blind the last 4 years (shotgun).  Haven't had a shot yet that I was comfortable with.

I did get my first bow kill about a week and a half ago while practicing in the back yard.  I took out one of the fiberglass rods with a clean shoot thru.  I have to say I was impressed with Primos since they bought out the Double Bull.  They stood behind the framework for a lifetime and all it cost me was the shipping for 4 new rods.  I figured I might need spares [:D]

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:27 am

ORIGINAL: bobow

I checked my cache last night and found some scent free body soap in a liquid or gel form.

I washed them down last night and set them back outside and this morning it seemed to make a big difference. 

Wait until they dry, some of the smell may return but it's no big deal.

More importantly, congrats on your bow kill! Have you posted pics with a little story on the "post your 2008 pics" therad?

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:42 am

Sorry, I didn't think to get any pictures - It's embarrasing enough as it is!  [8D]

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:44 am

Funny, I was always told to wear rubber boots when archery hunting because they (deer)  aren't threatened by the smell.

If we were to wash them , spray them down with scent eliminator, etc we might as well just wear our leather ones???

Now I am confused [:o]

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 am

Ahh, I misread your post. I thought the bow kill and the broken blind were two seperate incidents. My bad.

How do you pull the backstraps out of one of those anyway?

Next

Return to General Discussions