Deer Birth Control

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gutpile

Deer Birth Control

Postby gutpile » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:04 pm

This is an older article but is something the anti's are pushing hard..
ARTICLE
The guy at the bottom needs to be quiet.
I wonder if teh chemical they use can be injested or will it taint the meat, we can only hope they don't have any success creating a very effective birth control..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Sailfish

RE: Deer Birth Control

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:57 am

Why don't have all the deer get married. Works for humans.[:D]

Amazing to me the things "conservationists" get press on.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:36 am

If the birth control works and solves the problem, more power to them if that is what the local community wants.  However, given only 20 people showed up for the meeting, I doubt the idea has much popularity.

As for the rest of it, some of it's just plan stupid.  Particularly the part about injecting the deer.
[blockquote]
Marr outlined his invention, which he has yet to try. His system would fence an area and funnel deer into one-way gates where deer could be injected, tagged and set free.

"I would tend (to think) that would be a very low-stress technique, very low demand on human labor," he said. "I think all this technology is quite ready for implementation and general certification."

[/blockquote]
A fence and funnel system over any area of appreciable size would not be practical.  And as for the idea that deer funneled into an area where they could receive an injection and be tagged would be under very low stress, well I don't think the guy knows his deer all that well.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 am

Yeah, tell that Fiedler guy in the artivcle to keep his pie hole closed when he knows absolutely nothing about "many of the hunters"

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:40 pm

ORIGINAL: burnnurse1

Yeah, tell that Fiedler guy in the artivcle to keep his pie hole closed when he knows absolutely nothing about "many of the hunters"

yeah you like that, he didn't sound like a hunter to me, but what do I know...It is freaky to think that they are doing this much work to try and get rid of hunting...

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:52 pm

My day job is running a wildlife rehab center that is part of a large humane society in a suburb outside of Buffalo, NY.
When I started there almost 13 years ago, deer contraception was the in thing and was being touted as the answer to deer over population.

Naturally I was very interested, and having a veterinary science background and chasing deer for decades I quickly determined that this was never going to work once I studied the protocols that they had come up with.

First off, the pellucida vaccine required a booster a year later so you were going to have to trap or dart each deer twice.

I occasionally use chemical capture so I'm intimately familiar with what it can and cannot do. That plan would require extensive baiting or treestand hunting neither of which would be practical or affordable. Then subtract the percentage of capture induced myopathy cases that will not survive the ordeal

Then they wanted to use a marking dart to deliver the vaccine. Except, deer shed their hair coat annually.
If you ear tag them you still have to find them again. And again who's gonna pay?

The idea of funneling them into a pen and working on them unsedated is not only silly, but more dangerous then working with large predators should you happen to catch a few. Plus you still have all the aforementioned problems.

The main reason this trip had all the anti's in a swoon was its success in controlling the wild horses on Assateague Island.
What they neglected to realize (because their morons) is that horses are identifiable animals- Chestnut, bay, blaze,star,snip,socks,etc. All deer, antlers or not, pretty much look alike. Oops.

I doubt the idea will ever go away completely, but it has thus far proven impossible from any fiscal, logistical, biological, or behavioral standpoint.

And finally on a personal note, I don't think the good Lord is gonna allow us mucking around in the life cycles of his wildlife.
They are not domestic. He gave us those species he chose for us to domesticate and was very clear about it.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:59 pm

thanks for the education good to learn from someone in the know..These anti's will keep pushing and pushing this kinda crap..

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:27 am

I just don't understand....birth control is a wonderful thing...but the ones that need it are still breeding...resulting in the ones coming up with ideas like this....I know who we should really be targeting ...[;)]

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:05 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

I just don't understand....birth control is a wonderful thing...but the ones that need it are still breeding...resulting in the ones coming up with ideas like this....I know who we should really be targeting ...[;)]

Just let me know where they are. I have a dart gun and I know how to use it [:D]

Return to General Discussions