A little pro-hunting activism!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

A little pro-hunting activism!

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:57 pm

My family and I had the chance to do a little pro-hunting activism this week.

It was our turn to deliver a meal to a family in our parish who is dealing with a medical crisis. The parents are busy at the hospital with one of their children and we have been feeding the other two.

I did my best venison pot roast. One beef boulon cube, carrots, yellow onions, potatoes, and the round roast of a fat doe. Place in the crock pot, cover with water and cook on low for 8-10 hours. The meat was melt in your mouth tender by the time I placed it in the serving dish and covered it with the veggies.

When we dropped it off the oldest son, Rob, was there to accept it. He is a great kid. National Honor Socoiety, Drum Major and Homecoming King. He is the product of a great family and is well respected by all the kids at school and church. The only thing is, they are a non-hunting family. Not anti-hunting, just non-hunting. So we just smiled, told him to enjoy the meal and left without another word.

Well I ran into Rob this evening. I was picking up my daughter from religous ed. and he was walking with a group of friends. I asked him if he enjoyed the roast. His eyes lit up and he said, "Oh! It was awesome!" So I winked and told him it was a deer. He and his pals stopped for a moment, then Rob said "...Cool!" 

I'll never have my own show or be considered a giant in the hunting movement but I really felt good about winning a few hearts and minds. We can save hunting by winning small battles.

Woods Walker

RE: A little pro-hunting activism!

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:23 pm

I will be doing a bit of my own this weekend, when I will spend the day as an archery instructor at the USSA's Trailblazer Event.

We expect several hundred Boy Scout groups to attend. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

I figure that if a few of these kids that I expose to the joys of the bow this weekend wind up becoming archers, then I will have done some good.

This is from last year's Trailblazer Event. I'm the old grey dude............

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Thats good stuff guys it all makes a difference! JPH- there are some churches around here that put on this program called center shot, they have some bows and targets and some backdrops and they go around to different churches teaching whoever wants to how to shoot a bow and then they relate some religeon into it and make a fun afternoon out of it. I cant say Ive done it but I talked to the guy that puts it on and it sounds like they get some pretty good paticipation.                  
 Keep up the good work gentlemen.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:23 am

Whoa...You mean we're not just a bunch of crabby old opinionated deer hunters??

Awesome

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:11 am

Neat stuff guys, awesome.

And JPH, especially neat way to get someone, through their stomach.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Old grey dude?  Who's the kid with the glasses?[;)]

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Your doing a good thing there woodswalker, those genisis' are nice bows for that kind of stuff aint they. To bad they are so pricey.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:32 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Your doing a good thing there woodswalker, those genisis' are nice bows for that kind of stuff aint they. To bad they are so pricey.

Yes they are. These bows are owned by the USSA for the Trailblazer Event usage. It's a good thing. LOTS of kids who might never get a chance to shoot a bow attend these things, and the archery part of it is one of the favorites.

In fact, now's agood time to plug the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance!

Here ya go........SUPPORT US!  We are investing in hunting's future!

http://www.ussportsmen.org/Page.aspx?pid=240

http://www.trailblazeradventure.org/

I ask you all to at least look into it, the Trailblazers ALWAYS need volunteers. It's only ONE day a year, and you will go away from that day with a feeling of "I made a difference" like you've never felt before. 

I feel like I owe it to hunting, and the people that introduced me to it so many years ago.

At the very least, JOIN the USSA. The bigger the voice we have, the stronger we are!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:50 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I'll never have my own show or be considered a giant in the hunting movement but I really felt good about winning a few hearts and minds. We can save hunting by winning small battles.

To those people you are a giant in the hunting movement. Great job

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Thats good stuff guys it all makes a difference! JPH- there are some churches around here that put on this program called center shot, they have some bows and targets and some backdrops and they go around to different churches teaching whoever wants to how to shoot a bow and then they relate some religeon into it and make a fun afternoon out of it. I cant say Ive done it but I talked to the guy that puts it on and it sounds like they get some pretty good paticipation.                  
Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Center Shot ministries is the Church based version of the National Archery in the Schools Program. Complete kit runs around 3000.00 and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Archery Game Cube even has stick on target faces that have a biblical theme. This is a great and safe way to introduce all the kids in your church to archery

Next

Return to General Discussions