Acorns?????

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckhunter21

Acorns?????

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:53 am

Hey guys just seeing how the acorn crop is in your part of the woods?  I'm in west-central WI and we got a bumper crop this year as far as I can see.  Hunting field edges is no longer an option after doing it for the last three weekends (only been out twice though due to the weather...I can only hunt weekends).  So needless to say I'll be finding me some good oak groves and hunting them the next few weeks.  Do you guys know how long oaks usually drop for?

Good hunting!

burnnurse1

RE: Acorns?????

Postby burnnurse1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Well, unfortunately here in NW La., we already have alot of acorns on the ground thanks to Gustav and Ike. Hoping that a few survived the storms and drop when they are supposed to. Ought to make the plots and feeders more productive!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Unless you get a bad storm, you can count on mast drop in a good year throughout much of October.

I live in northern Illinois, and there isn't much of an acorn crop at all. I did find one Red Oak on this ground I hunt that does have some. Normally if the White Oaks are bearing good the deer will eat them first before they go for the more bitter Reds, but this year the Red may be worth a shot, because it's all they've got.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:29 pm

i get a newspaper every other week and they had a quote from a deer ecologist from the wisconsin dnr saying that they expect one of the biggest acorn crops ever

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:35 pm

I was worried after Ike came through. A lot of acorns blew to the ground.  However, I'm seeing a lot still in the trees.  I'm in the Trans-Bluegrass region of Northern KY, about 10 miles from the Ohio River.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

RNC

Postby RNC » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:31 am

We had a ton of acorns come down in  between the opener and the second week. We are in Burnett Co. Wis and between the acorns and the food plots the deer got a good buffet going.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:45 am

Here in southern WI, the white oak crop wasn't as good as years past.  We have about an acre that is almost all white oaks and in years past deer were in there all the time.  This year ther are hardly any white oaks and there isn't much deer sign in there either. 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 am

IM in SE Mich and the acorn crop is pretty good this year where im hunting, the ground it littered with them and they are still falling, their is a lot of deer sign where im at too, hopfully they stop by for a snack tomorrow sometime!

jackman

Postby jackman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Here in so. Maine, there is a ton of acorns as well as wild apples, and every type of berry tree.

I thought deer only ate apples in late November or December, but my buddys has a doe coming to his apple tree,almost every night. I plan on hunting the oaks this year!!.

Return to General Discussions