Your best improvement???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

RE: Your best improvement???

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 am

The nice thing about a Ghillie suit is that you can grab whatever's there in the woods and stick it on and it just stays.  I just cut a few branches and stick them in.

BTW:  I'm not knocking Ghillie suits per se.  I love mine. For turkey and coyote and even bow season for deer it can't be beat.  I just had a problem working in hunter orange for the firearm seasons.

My other problem is that I usually start Opening Day up 15' in a treestand behind a camo blind. By the end of that weekend my freezer is full.  All the fancy tricks I might pull out in the last week end up going for naught.

Heck, I've even got stands I haven't been in 5 years, but I keep leaving them up, because I keep thinking I might get shut out at one of my primary stands.

It all goes back to my original post:  Top Improvement ==> Find a spot that actually has deer on it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:19 pm

My best improvement has been being able to sit for long lengths of time . I have been practicing by sitting in front of my computer . I have gotten pretty good at it ! [8|]

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:36 pm

It comes with age, Fast Eddie.

When I was 25, I could barely sit on a stand for an hour without getting antsy.  I looked at my watch every 5 minutes.

Now, at 50, I look down at my watch and  it's 11 O'Clock, and I wonder what's happened to the past 5 hours. If it wasn't for my bladder, I wouldn't notice the time passing until the woods got dark.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 pm

the #1 improvement for seeing deer

Giving the deer a reason to be on my property= improving deer habitat with food plots and bedding areas etc.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Well the season hasnt started here yet, but Ive been working on my scent control and Im hoping that it pays off this season. Ive bought scent lok bags, storge containers, and have kept all my stuff in there. I cut a branch of a pine tree and put it in there to help out as well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 pm

I would have to say that my #1 improvement would be scent control,when I started paying more attention to better scent control I saw more deer and had them come in and right past me in my stand.My 2nd best improvement would be all the habitat improvement and food plots helped keep the Deer on the Farm and more time out/experience in the woods made me a better Hunter also.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Great question Goose.  I'd have to go with:
1. Scouting (post season and late summer)
2. Putting up new stand sites in early summer
3. Switching to Cobra sights
4. Drop away rest
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:53 am

The most recent improvement I made was to drop a couple of those chem light sticks in my pack.  They are cheap and wonderful!  Emergency lighting and you can tie one off high to mark last blood or where you left off blood if you back out.  Last year we had to track a doe out through a hands and knees type brier patch, where we literally could not see our way past what was directly in front of us and it was very easy to get turned around in.  Before we left we had tied one off to the rail of a ladder stand to guide us back to it in the dark through the brier patch and gave us reference to our point of least resistance. Worked like a charm.  My other favorite improvements of recent years has been:
Digital Scouting Cameras
Google Earth
picking up a bow

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:10 pm

being cheap ive made some pin on leaves myself with some "fall" bouquets from the local hobby shops and safety pins. the leaves are cloth like so i wash em with my clothes. i pine em around on my outer wear as well as lashing some to my climber with zip ties.
    as for my #1 improvement i would say discipline and patience meaning waiting for that perfect shot, taking time in all aspects of the hunt  followed by strict and elaborate scent control measures.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:02 am

Scent control is my best improvement, along with a mock scrape dripper.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions