Hunting with Dogs

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

RE: Hunting with Dogs

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:59 am

I'm going to throw in with the dog hunters.  If the state says it's legal, then it's legal and it's also fair chase. Having said that, I'll immediately add that I have not hunted behind dogs, and I probably won't.  It's a matter of taste, and I am comfortable with my own taste in blood sport not to go knocking someone else's.   I have known guys who hunted behind dogs all their lives, and considered themselves consummate deer hunters. I am not going to argue with them.  I just finished Meshack Browning's autobiography as well-- now there was a deer hunter!   Meshack hunted with dogs, but he also liked to leap on a buck's back, grab the antler and hang on with one hand while plunging his knife into the buck's heart with the other.  Again, not my taste, but one heck of a hunter.

It is important, however, to understand one thing about hunting behind dogs for any kind of game: it is extremely consumptive.  Specifically, it takes a LOT of acreage to support it, and it is largely indescriminate of property boundaries. Dogs just simply do not know about property lines and they are exceedingly noisey.  A couple of hunters and a pack of dogs can really queer up a large piece of real estate, whether the game is coon, rabbit, deer, bear, or boar.  With the world getting smaller and more and more private land disappearing to development and owners who do not like hunting, this is important. On the basis of that alone, I would think some states might reconsider their laws allowing hunting deer with dogs.

In comparison, bow hunting is silent and relatively non-consumptive.  The experience of a non-hunter is not affected by bow hunting, or at least is not as effected as with dogs.  It can be done on a small plot of land.  On the other hand, I do not think bow hunting is essentially more "ethical" than gun hunting-- or dog hunting for that matter.  It is a shame folks get to confusing ethics and taste.

By the way, I WOULD think that running dogs on deer was unethical if there was no potential path for escape, like in a fenced enclosure.  I watch feral dogs chase deer all the time on my property, and the deer clearly have the upper hand.  The deer hardly give it a second thought.  Jump shooting them is no different than what's done with rabbits and birds.

Lastly, when you talk about dogs, you also start talking buckshot.  I'm not a proponent of buckshot. It is not legal in any of the states in which I've ever hunted, and for what I feel is a very good reason.  I'm sure folks can fill me in on the details, but as far as I can tell buckshot is great at short distances similar to bow hunting. However, it quickly loses its lethality, and quickly gives way to wounding.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 am

Correcto on the buckshot!  When I grew up in New Jersey 40+ years ago, buckshot was THE only legal projectile for deer hunting. VERY inconsistant, and most definately a short range (40 yards and less) deal.

Other than use for home self defense (it will NOT penetrate walls like a large caliber handgun load will), the only other use might be for hunting driven deer in extremely heavy cover, where you may only have a few seconds to shoot.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:50 am

I have no desire to go "down south" and hunt deer with dogs. I have no desire to see dog hunting come "up north" where I hunt.

As long as it says where it is, and fits within the conservation goals of the states where they have it, then I think the local population should sort it out.

tbone3

Postby tbone3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:08 am

Just to explain the hunting with dogs thing better, let me add that the deer are not enclosed in any fences and the block of woods is very large.  The whole misconception that it is I guess like shooting fish in a barrel is not even close to reality.  The deer have the upper hand believe it or not,  with the block of woods being so big the deer more than not gives the dogs the slip.  It will run through a creek, or swim through a small pond, or just simply get to far out in front of the dogs.  As Shaman made a good point, you use buckshot when you hunt with dogs.  Have you ever tried hitting a deer running at full speed through thick cover, not as easy as some may think.  And before you say that it is more likely to just wound a deer than kill it with these hunting tactics, let me add that myself personally will not take a shot unless I know that I have a good clean kill shot on the deer.  People have this misconception that the hunter has the upper hand, but the deer actually does.  And to answer cbhunter no we do not chase the deer with the trucks, or hunt on land that we do not have permission.  Although one of the problems that deer hunting with dogs is facing is that some hunters have no respect for someone elses property and do hunt it wihtout permission.  But that is a whole other discussion.  I guess all that I can say is don't knock it until you have tried it or learned a little more about it.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:23 am

Fair enough, tbone3. But I would ask this, how do the dogs know one property from another once they have been turned loose?

Again, it's not a problem for me as long as it stays in the South and I stay in the North. But when I have seen coon hunters turn dogs out around here, they run for miles and cross many property lines.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:31 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Fair enough, tbone3. But I would ask this, how do the dogs know one property from another once they have been turned loose?

Again, it's not a problem for me as long as it stays in the South and I stay in the North. But when I have seen coon hunters turn dogs out around here, they run for miles and cross many property lines.

How does a beagel , setter, or pointer know where property lines are?  I know they don't cover the ground that a deer hound does, but if the deer hunters are hunting large tracts in ratio to what a bird hunter or rabbit hunter does with his dogs, then what's the difference? 

tbone3

Postby tbone3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 am

I see your point JPH and can understand what you are saying, and that does happen.  All you can really do is apolagize to the landowner and remove your dogs from the property as soon as possible, if they are not still running the deer, witch if they are then they just pass through the property.  But it is like someone said the land is being bought up by different people who will not allow hunting.  Myself personally think that hunting with dogs will eventually be made illegal or there will be laws set into place stating that if you do not have a certain amount of acreage connected then you cannot run dogs.  As a matter of fact there have already been strong talk about doing this, but to me even though I will miss the sounds of hunting with dogs I still love to go out and scout and hang a treestand or set a ground blind and hunt that way.  Actually I have harvested more and bigger deer by hunting without dogs,  I just love the sound that a big pack of dogs make when they are in hot pursuit, and the adrenaline rush that accompanies standing in a thick cutover knowing that the dogs are coming to you and that the deer will be coming by you at any minute running full blast.  I can see your point as well, if I had never hunted with dogs either I would probally feel the same way. 

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:47 am

Just to explain the hunting with dogs thing better, let me add that the deer are not enclosed in any fences and the block of woods is very large. The whole misconception that it is I guess like shooting fish in a barrel is not even close to reality.

I lived and hunted in Florida.  I've seen the folks running dogs while "hunting" deer.  This is not sporting.  This is not ethical.  If you are stand hunting or still hunting in woods that are being hunted with dogs, you might as well pack up and leave because those dogs will run every deer out of the piece of woods you are in.  This is not a "deer drive" as some other uneducated member put it.  This is a pack of dogs that will run a deer until it is either killed by a hunter or it dies from exhaustion. 

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 am

That was the point I was tring to make, as long as your following the laws of the state and respecting others property, I'm not going to knock it. Just because its not for me doesn't make it wrong. I hunt with cb and I know how some feel about that.

tbone3

Postby tbone3 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:04 am

Ok deerhunter first the deer do not die from being exhausted.  Like I have said I have been doing this for 14 years and not once have I even heard of a deer dieing while being chased by dogs, unless it was shot.  And even though it does happen occasionally, (dogs going on someone elses property), I have been stand hunting and had a pack of dogs come running through chasing a deer and once they were gone one of the biggest bucks that I have ever killed stepped out.  And if you paid attention to what has been written, more often than not the deer will get away from the dogs and not even be shot at.  Like I said in my 14 years I have never heard of a deer dieing from being chased, if anything the dogs get tired and give up on the deer first.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions