Hunting with Dogs

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
passin through

RE: Hunting with Dogs

Postby passin through » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:21 pm

BN--yep that picture came from a dog run.  The dog was mine but the buck was my brothers and the truck belonged to my best friend.  That race lasted about two hours and was more of an old style "keep em movin run"  My brother hated that old dog because he walked most of the time but he would bark about every time his foot hit the ground.  Brother finally out smarted that buck and got in front of him and killed him.  The buck was perfectly at his ease and was slipping (at a walk) toward the last dirt road he would ever see.  He stopped at a wolf whistle and the rest was history.  Ten minutes later the dog came out barking every step of the way[:D]  Brother still hates my dog even though that is the biggest buck we've killed in front of the hounds since 79'.  By co inky dink my grandmother shot the one in 79'.  Brother is still ticked at me cause I threw him a celebration that night and enough people showed up we ate his whole deer[:D]

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Nothin quite like the howl of the hounds comin through the woods. i think that a lot of people don't realize that most of the bigger deer killed during a run are the one's doing what your brothers buck did and just trying to quietly "slip" by. They are not necessarily the one's being ran by the dog's but are deer just trying to ease out of the commotion.  PS........ watch out, Ike's coming!!!!

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:58 am

That is a very cool set of pictures.    I probably won't be doing it in the near future, but it sure does look like fun.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:21 am

You know PS, you make it a lot harder for us northern snobs to look down our noses at you when you don't play into our sterotypes! Sharing photos and stories like that, forces us to actually think about the issue and not just react. Not fair!

Couldn't you photoshop some beer cans and a rebel flag into that for us? Or maybe a fat guy with a mullet?

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:52 am

I don't care how someone sugar coats dogging deer, I won't agree. I've seen what the same dogs can do to ferrel pigs when they catch them. I also know the dogs switch the lead chase to conserve energy when chasing. In IL, its unlawful to allow dogs to chase, harass, or kill deer. We may not dog deer in IL, but coyotes are legal to dog around here. When the dogs catch them they shredd the coyote to pieces.  Now avoid my question of "What happens to the deer when the dogs catch it?" Typical of a dogger, because doggers will say anything to keep dogging deer legal and sounding ethical. The truth of the matter is dogs are hunting the deer...not you.  Save the dogging for pigs, or big cats for all I care, just leave the deer for men to hunt. Makes me glad I live in IL, I can do without the dogging.   

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

I don't care how someone sugar coats dogging deer, I won't agree. I've seen what the same dogs can do to ferrel pigs when they catch them. I also know the dogs switch the lead chase to conserve energy when chasing. In IL, its unlawful to allow dogs to chase, harass, or kill deer. We may not dog deer in IL, but coyotes are legal to dog around here. When the dogs catch them they shredd the coyote to pieces.  Now avoid my question of "What happens to the deer when the dogs catch it?" Typical of a dogger, because doggers will say anything to keep dogging deer legal and sounding ethical. The truth of the matter is dogs are hunting the deer...not you.  Save the dogging for pigs, or big cats for all I care, just leave the deer for men to hunt. Makes me glad I live in IL, I can do without the dogging.   

Wait a minute EatDeer. You just told us in your opener that "coyotes are legal to dog hunt" in IL. You also say that you consider it to be okay for pigs and cats. But you are gald that you live in IL, where there is no dogging??

So it is fine for dogs to tear apart a coyote, pig or cat...but the remote chance that they may get to a deer before a hunter does makes it wrong for deer hunting? Why is it fine for one game animal to die that way and not another?

Look, I'm not big on the idea of dog hunting because of concerns for how it may affect property owners and other hunters. But I don't like to see anyone post things like "I dont care how someone sugar coats (whatever), I won't agree." It implies that you are not open to learning.

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:37 am

I do understand your position ED.  I was not avoiding your question about when dogs catch a deer.  I stated I do not believe a healthy deer is going to be all that catchable.  I have seen dogs bay wounded deer and there is a fight sometimes.  But shredding a deer?  I havent seen it.  I have seen them try to finish one off (again this is a wounded animal already)  and depending on the number of dogs in use it could happen (them kill the deer I mean)  generally though when we hear a bay guns are dropped and the designated ones of us that handle the hounds take off at a full sprint to the bay.....the reason for this is two fold....one if they do kill him or he just expires from his/her earlier wound they will try to eat the deer (and I like deer meat better than they do)or just abandon the deer for another jump....depended on wether they were fed recently or not.  (unlike falconry hounds don't have to be hungry to hunt and they will leave a downed deer completly alone and go hunt some where else)  I will add this, like with a hog bay if there are not enough dogs there to distract the deer, then the dog that trys to close in will most likely get hurt.  As far as the shredding thing goes I hog hunt on horse back in the Ouachita river bottoms and the largest we have ever caught (caught not killed)  was a 300 lb russian boar  we use a pitbull catahoula cross as the actual catch- bay dogs and they don't shred too much....they get shredded, and if they don't have a catch collar on or a catch vest they get dead real easy.  That night we caught the big russian I learned about the field expiediency of super glue....better than stiches and a bandaid. 
Coyotes are a different story though....the only coyote hunting I have ever done with hounds was at field trials in fox pens.  Those coyotes are trapped and brought in to the pen for the purpose.  the one I went to had on'time feeders that put out dog food for them and they were generally a well kept bunch and catching the yote during the trial was a no-no.  If your dog was fast enough to do it, he ran muzzled.  That kind of trial takes place in a 500 - 2000 acre enclosure and the dogs are scored by voice, jump ability and place in pack when caught.  Now that being said about the light side of coyote hunting with hounds. I have heard about what you are talking about....They do it over on the mississippi delta of Arkansas and Mississippi....mainly in and around big open ag fields.  Probably like what you have up there.    I will say this...from the sounds of it I do not like it.  As to why they shred the yote? and they do.....  The only thing I can think of is the naturally eninimity between the two animals.  I know a pack of yotes will shred a house dog given half the chance (been there ...paid that vet bill)... Back to the coyotes though....Forgive me, I am about to reveal rednecky roots....My wifes step cousin in law  ([:)])  has been over there and does that kind of yote' pursuit....To understand how this works you need to know that all good coyote dogs must be considered a 12 hour dog....meaning he runs that long.  A coyote will generally make big loops and not line out and leave the country.  The Yote shredding happens when a pursuit has gone on for (x) amount of time and all concerned are tired out.....then the guys in the trucks turn out a catch pack....bigger, stronger ect.  Like I said....I don't like the sounds of it but I don't like the sounds of helicopter hunts or poison traps either and they do that too.  I'm not trying to paint a pretty picture about any use of hounds.  I'm just trying to inform from my personal experience.  I have always done it for deer and enjoy the sounds of a good race.

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:44 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

That is a very cool set of pictures.    I probably won't be doing it in the near future, but it sure does look like fun.

Thanks Shaman!  It was a pretty cool day!  The only minor downer was up until that point I had the largest deer on the club for the year.  He killed that deer at 10a.m. on the last day....kinda popped my balloon[:)] 
His out grossed mine by 3 inches....and you know a little brother is going to rub that in.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:24 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Wait a minute EatDeer. You just told us in your opener that "coyotes are legal to dog hunt" in IL. You also say that you consider it to be okay for pigs and cats. But you are gald that you live in IL, where there is no dogging??

So it is fine for dogs to tear apart a coyote, pig or cat...but the remote chance that they may get to a deer before a hunter does makes it wrong for deer hunting? Why is it fine for one game animal to die that way and not another?

Look, I'm not big on the idea of dog hunting because of concerns for how it may affect property owners and other hunters. But I don't like to see anyone post things like "I dont care how someone sugar coats (whatever), I won't agree." It implies that you are not open to learning.

Or, it may be, that like me, he believe`s it to be unethical and distasteful. It`s not a sign of not being open to learning to simply stand firm in a position you feel strongly about.

I also have the concerns you do JPH, as far as harrassing other hunters,disregarding property rights, but beyond that, I find it just a sleazy method of "hunting".

As I said, I don`t enjoy it at all, but dogs come down deer runs in the woods I hunt, they don`t make their way back home.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:48 am

ORIGINAL: tbone3

Ok hunter480, your opinion is just that an opinion, NOT FACT.  And yes you are entitled to your opinion, even though I strongly disagree with it.  Let me ask you this, have you ever had alot of experience with hunting with dogs, my guess would be no.  So if you have never had experience with it how can you be so sure that you are as much of an expert at it that you think you are.  I agree with what Passin Through posted, and between the two of us we have 42 years experience doing this, and how much do you have, oh yeah that's right NONE! So how can you think that you know all that there is to know about it when you really don't know squat.  All I am saying is if you are going to post such a strong opinion please know what you are talking about first.  And the fact that you keep making threats to kill someones dogs is very well I am not going to say exactly what I think about that.  And for that matter noone has made threats to shoot your dog or cat, because believe it or not we do care about our hunting dogs.  To us these dogs are like your house dog is to you.  Before you say that phrase you used again ("the hunters don't care about their dogs if they let them run loose") please stop and don't automatically assume you know what we feel or think.  I know it is a lost cause to try and change your mind about this whole thing, and I was not trying to when I posted this, all I was really trying to do was have a civil discussion or debate about a subject.  That obviously cannot be done with you though.  I mean come on man making threats, I got past that in middle school.

I never made a threat against anyone. I felt that one was implied towrds me.

And because I`ve never deer hunted with dogs, makes me no less capable of having factual information about it, than the fact that you`ve deer hunted with dogs for years doesn`t make you knowledgable about exactly how it affects the deer.

Sure it`s a passionate debate, it`s emotional on both sides. And I fully understand that you love your dogs, I don`t blame you. And because running deer with dogs is legal for you, there must be different laws there, and likely, even the adjoining landowners aare more understanding. In Indiana, that`s not the case. Dogs running loose is a big deal, in fact, we`ve had a couple people mauled to death by packs of dogs that were actually the neighbors good pets. That`s aside from the whole chasing deer thing. We`re in two entirely different cultures, but regardless of where I lived and hunted, I`d disagree with that type "hunting".

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions