How do I get to the where the big boys are?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jpshields

How do I get to the where the big boys are?

Postby jpshields » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:17 am

I am looking to find a small boat to help me get away from other hunters and closer to bigger bucks.  Would anyone recommend a kayak, canoe, duck boat or piroque?  I keep trying to balance light and low maintenance like the Cabelas Old Towne Predator Kayak vs. bringing more gear back and a deer in like a big canoe or duck boat with a small electric or gas engine.  Is anyone out there using this type of thing or have any recommendations?  Thanks.

JPH

RE: How do I get to the where the big boys are?

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:26 am

I have a 12', Old Town Pack Canoe. It is made from molded foam/plastic so it it is very light and quiet. It is small and easy to handle, but offers more stowage than a kakak. 

I do not hunt from it. In fact I do not fish from it either. Too busy inthe summer [:@]. But it is made for the kind of thing you are looking to do.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:28 am

ORIGINAL: jpshields

I am looking to find a small boat to help me get away from other hunters and closer to bigger bucks.  Would anyone recommend a kayak, canoe, duck boat or piroque?  I keep trying to balance light and low maintenance like the Cabelas Old Towne Predator Kayak vs. bringing more gear back and a deer in like a big canoe or duck boat with a small electric or gas engine.  Is anyone out there using this type of thing or have any recommendations?  Thanks.

You need to give us some more info:

1) What kind of water are we talking.  Is this flat water you're on? A river?
2) How far are you going?
3) How much gear are you packing?
4) Is this a solo thing?  Be very careful. 
5) How cold will it be?

Be very careful, especially if you're dealing with current or a stretch of open water.  Also be very careful trying to do any of this in the dark.  If you've got a dead deer to schlep out, you'll be glad you put stability and hauling capacity over other things.

I've done solo. I've done current. I've done open water, I've done dark.  I've just never done all of them at one time.  Remember this:  You are trying to get away from the orange army and get way back.  This can start working against you if bad stuff happens. Your options for self rescue can be reduced to zero if it all comes together and you're treading icy water in your hunting clothes in the dark.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:08 am

I use a kayak. Its very quite and smooth on the water. The only downfall to it is I dont have much room, so I have to pack light. I enjoy it a lot, and be ready when ever you go out on a boat cuz you never know there might just be a nice buck around the coner of the river bank. (depneding on your sates laws you might be able to get a shot at him.)
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to General Discussions