Why did you join the D&DH forums?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
tumor96

RE: Why did you join the D&DH forums?

Postby tumor96 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:59 pm

I joined for many reasons. First of all, I have been a big fan of D&DH Magazine years and I think people who used to formally call themselves "Stump-Sitters" sound like my kind of people! My father passed in '07 and he taught me everything he knew about hunting, fishing, and life in general. He was also paraplegic and struggled through hardships most of us can't even imagine just to find a new way to do the things he loved and pass them along to us. (sidenote: as a child, it's hard to get sympathy from your father for a frozen backside when he can't even feel his legs.lol. he would chuckle at that) You have no idea how much you can learn about intestinal fortitude, passion, and perseverence until you have witnessed someone who uses a disadvantage to their advantage and succeeds in spite of it.

Anyways, after hunting with and learning from him for so many years, I now want to carry on his legacy and really learn how to manage the land (I grew up hunting 160 acres of private land but when our friends sold it, we bounced around for a few years until my cousin bought 40 acres) and its wildlife and someday pass these lessons along to my children. This forum seems to have a lot of like-minded, good-hearted people to share ideas and information with about something we all enjoy so much; the outdoors.

I'd like to think I know quite a bit since many of my friends turn to me for advice, but there is such a wealth of real-world information here, any serious hunter/outdoorsman/woman would be crazy not to take a peek. I am glad to be among fellow "Stump-Sitters" and look forward to alot of great conversations!

Joe
"your right to free speech in no way guarantees you will not be offended by mine"...

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:44 am

A belated welcome, Tumor96. All good reasons for joining. You've already made some good posts, and I look forward to seeing more.

One thing you didn't mention is how you came up with that forum handle. It sounds like there's a good story to post here.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:29 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

A belated welcome, Tumor96. All good reasons for joining. You've already made some good posts, and I look forward to seeing more.

One thing you didn't mention is how you came up with that forum handle. It sounds like there's a good story to post here.

Steve

Ditto

tumor96

Postby tumor96 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Keep your chin up and stick with it! I would be very suprised if there was anyone in here, who has hunted for 5-10 years, who hasn't missed, grazed, tracked and never found, etc. a deer or two. I have several stories myself from my early years (and some more recent). I am 32 years old, started hunting when I was 12 (sitting with my dad even earlier), and I only bagged my first buck (nice tall and wide 6 pointer) about 5 years ago. The important thing is to keep trying. The fact that you are here means you are off to a good start to learning how to eliminate mistakes.

I'd also like to mention that while nothing scratches that itch like filling a tag, you can relieve yourself of some pressure by making the priority to enjoy the outdoors and see some wildlife. Both are very easy to do and before too long, tagging a deer will take care of itself.

Best of luck (this weekend?) and be safe.

Joe
"your right to free speech in no way guarantees you will not be offended by mine"...

MikeinMO

Postby MikeinMO » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 pm

I joined the forum and also subscribed to the print magazine because I heard that there was a controversial article by Ted Nugent published here. I like to take every opportunity I can find to try to unite my fellow hunters, and rally them to the fight to protect what we love, rather than see our ranks torn apart by controversy. I firmly believe that we need a "tip of the spear" warrior like Ted Nugent now more than ever. The only reason people find Ted to be "over the top" is because they fail to comprehend how he uses humorous absurdity to demonstrate the absurdity of his opponents. Here's an example:

Liberal radio host: "So then, you think everybody should have guns?"

Ted Nugent: "Why of course! In fact, I've brought free machine guns for all the children!"

Now you cringe and worry: "Oh, that's ridiculous! Nugent is crazy" ...but that's because you are not paying attention.

The only thing 'over the top' in the above exchange is the liberal's assertion that Ted thinks "everybody should have guns". Of course he doesn't. He thinks felons should be incarcerated or executed. He thinks children should be supervised by adults, and he thinks law abiding citizens have the God given right to protect their lives, loved ones and property.

Nugent is a lightning rod. He can get air time anywhere, and get it on big market venues where most of us hunters wouldn't even be considered. How many purist outdoor writers have been on David Letterman? Ted Nugent cooked wild game on David Letterman, and represented hunting with wit, charm and expert salesmanship. Other examples abound.

More Ted, more controversy, more piss and vinegar, more activism, more defeated opponents!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:15 pm

MikeinMO, welcome to the D&DH forums.

I understand what you're saying about Nuge, using "humorous absurdity to demonstrate the absurdity of his opponents." Another who uses that technique is Limbaugh. In fact, he has often said that he "illustrates absurdity by being absurd."

Anyway, stick around. You'll like it here.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:07 am

This is my first post here. I love Deer and Deer hunting magazine and an avid Wisconsin deer hunter for 16 years. This website I think, is the most informative site for deer hunting and hunting equipment.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Jslotter, welcome to the forum...You're spot on as far as this magazine and website.  The best there is!

I'm from WI also...Take some time to check out the WI state forum threads under the state's section.  Merry Christmas!
QDM!

Faedrus

Postby Faedrus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:13 pm

I joined the forum specifically to weigh in on a conversation about ethics. A hunter had asked for support with his misguided interpretation of an ethical situation. A lot of guys on the forum were being frank with him and he wasn't accepting it.
I am a recent convert to hunting. I love it. Got my first deer on Nov 11th with my Tikka 270 from a treestand. I cooked some up yesterday using the "Deer Camp Stew" recipe from the latest issue of D&DH... delicious!
My wife supports my new hobby even though we have a 5 month old daughter.
I'm going to stay active on the forum to learn as much as I can for next deer season
thanks

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:03 am

Welcome, Faedrus! You have a good reason for being here, and I wish you the greatest success in your new hobby. But I'll also add that it will become more than a hobby -- it will become a way of life.

Steve

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions