Help- Gut shot deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Patriot

RE: Help- Gut shot deer?

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Awesome job!  I'm so happy for you!!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Be proud of that buck its bigger than my first buck which I still proudly display...good job and good hunting.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:43 pm

I also agree with WW i would do a euro mount of the skull
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Congrats.  Even thought the shot may not have been ideal, we all have made them one time or another.  Just another learning lesson!  Good job on keeping on the track job...

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:07 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

"He's ONLY a 1.5 year old 5 pointer..." 

Please don't sell yourself, OR this fine game animal short. He is, in my mind, a GRAND trophy for you, because he's your first, AND you hung in there when many would have become discourged and quit, and you found him! I'll bet that you also LEARNED a lot from this fine buck and the drama that went with it. These are the lessons that one can only learn through trial and error, but they are also the best teacher the woods can offer. 

Nailed it!

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 am

Glad you found him, and congrats on your first bow buck!
-Eric

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:07 am

I'm glad that you found the deer, it is a shame to have them go to waste. 

This is a good lesson to learn.  No matter what you think you saw when you executed the shot... perfectly broadside, quartering away, etc... and no matter where you think you saw the arrow hit... perfect double-lung, a little high, a little back... you'll never know for sure until you find the buck. 

But the next best thing is to find the arrow and let that be your guide as to how to proceed.  Any indication of gut shot, regardless of what your eyes told you... wait at least 4 hours.  If that means a sleepless night, so be it.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

"He's ONLY a 1.5 year old 5 pointer..." 

Please don't sell yourself, OR this fine game animal short. He is, in my mind, a GRAND trophy for you, because he's your first, AND you hung in there when many would have become discourged and quit, and you found him! I'll bet that you also LEARNED a lot from this fine buck and the drama that went with it. These are the lessons that one can only learn through trial and error, but they are also the best teacher the woods can offer. 

Nailed it!

I agree wholeheartedly with you JPH.  As I'm a big QDMer now, I have plenty of fork horns and basket racks on the wall from when I first started hunting.  I think this is actually what got me going so much in Whitetail hunting and why I have such a passion for it!  I'm not saying that it's bad to shoot something like that at my age and experience, since depending on how you're hunting the land and what you want to do with it, ANY deer is a trophy in your eyes as long as it makes you happy!  Have respect for yourself as well as the animal...Nuf said! [:)]

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:46 am

Yep, QDM is about so much more than the size of the buck we shoot.

Anyone who has read my posts knows that I really enjoy talking about how we as hunters should consider self-regulating our buck harvest. But this is a converstaion to be held BEFORE the shot! Once the shot has been taken, it is all about enjoying the moment and being grateful for it!

Young and inexperienced hunters should get out there and hunt! Be a steward. Master the art of making good shots and recovering deer (our friend Bigwisconsinbucks just took an advanced course in that). When you've got that down, you can begin to consider buck age structure.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:26 am

Back a few years when i was trying to practice QDM, before i knew much about it,   i found myself shooting small bucks as i hugely misjudged them and the ground shrinkage was huge!

Each year in the field is a huge learning curve for me and i absolutely love it!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions