???Moon rise and set???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Goose

RE: ???Moon rise and set???

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am

Thats perfect JPH, Thanks
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Woods Walker, I think you hit the nail on the head with the 6 hour cycles.  What I believe, and what I have found in the field, is that the 6 hour cycle is approximate but remains constant regardless of moon phase.  What changes, however, is the feeding time each day.  For instance, during a non-full moon phase, the deer's 6 hour cycles tend to line up with dusk and dawn.  During a full moon period, due to the extra light at night, the cycle shifts so that the feed cycle doesn't line up with dusk and dawn.  As a result, I have found that deer tend to feed and return to bedding areas more during late morning, early afternoon, evening after dark and morning before light.  This means that we don't see them during the traditional times but they eat/move/bed just as much.  I believe that if we can adjust our hunting times, our success during the full moon period can equal during other times of the month.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:11 pm

Yea, I'm a pretty firm believer in the moon rise and moon set theory.  I have not only seen it in the woods hunting deer, but also on the water 'hunting' muskies.  I'm also a musky hunting fanatic and use the moon rise and moon set to my advantage as to when to go and at what time.  This last wekend was the WI bow opener and as I didn't make it out due to the weather (rained all weekend...but I think if it was mid to late October I would have been out there no matter what!), as I've been glassing fields all weekend, I've noticed less and less deer in the fields up to the opener.  Related?

Previous

Return to General Discussions