Big deer fighting already?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
tymac

Big deer fighting already?

Postby tymac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:05 pm

i talked to a few hunters and they claim that that got 2 bucks over 140 class in a full out battle.  What do all ya'll think?  I honest think that its a joke or if anything a little sparing match if any.  Ya'll tell what ya think and if ya have ever heard of this, this early?

vipermann7

RE: Big deer fighting already?

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:36 pm

my brother has 2 bucks that come out every night and fight pretty hard. they are young deer, about 110 inches or so, but they really fight it out. i wouldnt think to see hard battles yet either, it surprised me too. bachelor groups do disperse this time of year, so it could just be territory battling, more geared towards just territory without respect to rutting behavior yet.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

If that is anywhere to being true I may pack my rattling antlers along with me when I go out Bow Hunting again and try a little light rattling to see if anything comes running in ready for a fight? [;)]

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:52 pm

I have saw bucks scrap before this time of year but never full out fight. It does seem early for this type of behavior!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:50 pm

I would think it is sparring. Bach groups are breaking up and maybe a little pecking order being established but I would think thats it. There have been alot of bucks taken by replicating sparring bucks.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:43 pm

I saw a video of two young bucks last year from here in WI battling it out hard in early september during bow season I will look see if I can find the video and post it. But occasionally you will see bucks fighting this early though not the norm....

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:08 am

Some bucks are just more aggressive than others, and once they shed their velvet and start staking out their "turf" I don't think it would be out of the question for the more aggressive bucks to fight over it.
-Eric

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:19 am

I saw some monsters fightting on the property ive been watching. Ive also saw a 10pt and  a4pt fight for about 15-20 mins
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:06 pm

I had two big roughly 140 inch bucks in a pretty good battle last year on the first day of bowseason it was the last weekend in September.  They went at it all out for about 10 to 15 minutes, several smaller bucks and a few does were in the same field but paid very little attention.   It was about 50 yds from a big sign post rub in a alfalfa field that was the main food source on the farm.  I think the more mature bucks you get in a common area the more you'll see early battles like this, bucks wanting to establish their dominance over the prefered area early.

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:22 pm

I've been seeing the same big 9pt and little 4pt since the beginning of July. Every time i get one on trail camera, the other one shows up in the next picture. Got them together 4 times in July and august on cameras. Ive seen them together almost every time i go spotting. In the last 2 weeks they have been fighting every single time i've seen them. Definetly not very aggressively but they'll be parting ways here very shortly i believe.

Return to General Discussions