what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
RNC

RE: what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

Postby RNC » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:42 am

Watched a gray squirrel chase a barred owl in a tree one morning. Every time that owl changed branches that gray would go up or down the tree then charge out right at the owl. The owl would change branches and the routine would play out again.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Last season I was sitting in my stand in the morning, and I guess about 10 minutes after light I had a squirrel barking at me. Well he would just make circles on one side of me, and I never thought of looking around for anything else. Well about another 10 minutes passed, and then I heard a noise and so I got by bow ready, and looked around to my left, and there was the squirrel running as fast as he could up the tree no more than a foot away from me, and I turn right and a hawk picks my cap off of my head....talk about a early morning wake up call, if it wasnt for my harness I would have been on the ground with my bow!!!
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 am

I've had plenty of squirrels bark at me too, even had one dropping acorns on my head till I moved to another spot. Lol maybe the deer pay off the squirrels....

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:32 am

Years ago squirrel hunting with my son one day. We had snuck into a woodlot and watched some deer and then some turkeys feed through.

After awhile a big gray came down the oak and was picking through the leaf litter. As my son slid his rifle up on to his knee a young Coopers hawk came screamin in intent on nailing the squirrel.

The big gray wheeled and came at the hawk, who to say the least was caught off guard and quite perplexed. The hawked landed on a stump 30 ft aways and watched the gray who turned his back to the hawk and resumed feeding. Twice more the young coop launched an attack and twice the squirrel wheeled and dared the hawk to bring it. Finally the hawk realized its plan was a bit ambitious and it was gone in flash.

I have seen similiar behavior in other prey species towards other raptors.
That gray squirrel would have acted completely diferent towards the arrival of a redtail or goshawk. Pigeons will leave the area at treetop level in response to an accipiter like a gos or coop but will sky up and attempt to get above any falcon they see wheeling. A pheasant will flush once under any hawks attack but never twice.

Even though there is always a reason, it still seems weird when we see stuff like this.

kellory

Re: what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:09 am

We were building a pole barn with steel sheet sides. cutting and screwing steel. making quite a racket, when a large buck stuck his head out of a thicket on the far side of the fire break just to see what all the fuss was about. Who'd a thunk it? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

badappleoutdoors

Postby badappleoutdoors » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:58 pm

I was walking out after sunset one night during archery season, was coming out through a hay field. I heard something hiss at me and stopped dead in my tracks, looked down and over and in the hay was an opposum less than 3 yds away. Lets just say I did not stick around to see how that was gonna play out. :o

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Tornado debris. A few years ago I found some fiber glass insulation and some large pieces of vinyl siding in the middle of some woods in southern WI. No really other way it got there but from a storm that came thru there a few weeks before. It wasn't wide spread, just laying in one isolated little area. And my friend and I came across a homeless guy's camp on public land once. He fled before we came upon it, but he was living there for sure.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:19 pm

I was Bow Hunting several years ago and a Bobcat chased a Doe thru the woods,it stopped at the bottom of the hill and the Doe ran up a Dam embankment in front of me..I got my bow ready in case it walked the dam towards me but it ran down into the water and swam across the small Lake to safety on the other side blowing the whole time as it ran off! :D

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:10 am

I was creeping through the woods one snowy december morning when I heard a heavy thud just behind me. I was breifly very confused when I turned around and saw a half-eaten white bass on the ground. Sure enough when I looked up there was a bald eagle circling. What are the chances?

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Not exactly weird, but interesting.

I'm 18-feet up a leafy tree on a WMA open to the public. Warm afternoon, about 2:30.

Along comes a young man and a young woman with a blanket and some fruit. Apparently, they were not hungry and when I asked, "May I have an apple?" It was quite a scamble and she just ran off and left her bra.

I hunuted there sevral times again but all I ever saw was deer.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions