what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Hawgnman

Re: what was the weirdest thing you ever saw in the woods

Postby Hawgnman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:14 pm

While hunting in a deer stand, my feet were getting cold. I wiggled my toes to generate some heat. Shortly there after an owl swooped within inches of my boots and landed on a limb about 3-4 feet away. We had a 5 second stare off, then it flew away. But it was neat to see an owl up close and personal.
Grace Happens

Jim /*
http://www.racksnspurs.com/

FindmeOutside

Postby FindmeOutside » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Scouting around in vehicle pre-season a few back and ran up on a small 8 pointer, for fun I hit a three grunt sequence just to see what he would do. To my surprise I hit the nerve, he started making a scrape and rubbing a small tree right beside the car with it running. He was all worked I thought he may try to fight the car there for a second. The same season in one of my favorite spots to hunt there was a raccoon I could set my watch by also, he came bye every morning at the same time walking straight up the ridge just as the sun started to come up, could barely see him but thought it was kinda funny how he was on a schedule.
Browning 7mm 08 Leupold 3x12 fed with Hornady Ammo = Dead Deer
Nikon D7000 70-300mm AF-S = Great Photos

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Today [ 10/25 ] I saw a wild turkey with her brood of poults here in Northern Va. I have never seen turkeys with young ones this time of year ?? The young ones were smaller than the average size of a chicken in fact more the size of cornish hens.The hen was a decent size hen. Does anyone have any idea what is going with this. Sure is a new one on me.
lead follow or get out of the way

FindmeOutside

Postby FindmeOutside » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 am

oletimer wrote:Today [ 10/25 ] I saw a wild turkey with her brood of poults here in Northern Va. I have never seen turkeys with young ones this time of year ?? The young ones were smaller than the average size of a chicken in fact more the size of cornish hens.The hen was a decent size hen. Does anyone have any idea what is going with this. Sure is a new one on me.
Although you don't see this often I have seen this before at this time of year so it's not completely unheard of. Not sure exactly what that translates into as far as weather and conditions.
Browning 7mm 08 Leupold 3x12 fed with Hornady Ammo = Dead Deer
Nikon D7000 70-300mm AF-S = Great Photos

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:55 pm

not exactly weird but you know your sitting still enough when a small bird jumps into your coat pocket and starts picking at the weed seeds in there.happened to me yesterday.

bout the only thing that happened from 2- 8 last night. rattled grunted even thought of running through the woods with the antlers on my head. No bucks.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:42 pm

I have one from yesterday too. I was on the stand on public land yesterday morning and there was a fellow across the road hunting some MFL land. I knew when he was leaving because I heard a loud crash. Kinda sounded like when an aluminum ladder falls to the ground. Real loud. Then I hear a very weird sounding scream. This was a pissed off scream, not a "Im in pain" type of scream. Then I hear a loud voice and for about 3 minutes, every other word was an F-bomb. The guy was super mad about something. Im about a quarter mile away, the cold air carried every sound he was making and every word he was saying almost perfectly. Then I hear his truck door shutting and he drives out of the area. When I was leaving a few hours later, I stopped and looked where he was parked. I didn't see anything out of place. Wonder what he was all ticked off about, and what the cause of that crashing noise was? Pretty funny and odd at the same time.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Previous

Return to General Discussions