What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JOEL

RE: What is baiting.

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:51 am

lures are for fishing[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:10 am

rattling ,grunts ,foodplots baiting? what a frikin joke -corn piles,fruit piles ,all the acorn rage/c'mere deer type crap thats bait foodplots apple/persimmon trees if it grows it aint bait         i mean if you bait you bait thats your choice welcome to america but dont tie my grunt tube & rattlin' horns in with your baiting practices or food plots for that matter
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:11 am

The way baiting was defined by my state back when I was starting out was food left to attract game.  Salt and minerals were not bait.  A food plot was not bait.  Nor were scents. 

A pile of corn was bait. It was illegal
A salt block was not.
Planting a few rows of corn and letting it grow was a good thing and encouraged.
Putting apple scent on your hat was legal.
Slathering peanut butter on a stump was not legal, but I do not remember anyone getting prosecuted.

None of this really matters a whit in my way of thinking.

Bait has a tendancy to make deer visit at night when you are not there. It also has a hard time competing with the natural mast in a lot of areas.

Salt and minerals are great for attracting deer in July, but has minimal value by the time most seasons come in. Putting out a salt block on Halloween and expecting results in November is pure superstition.

Food plots are great for feeding deer in the big picture, they do things like reduce infant mortality, and increase winter survival.  As an attractant, they are hit and miss.  I rode past a soybean field on my way to work for years.   In 10 years of riding past at all hours, and especially dawn and dusk, I saw only a handful of deer.  If this had been a hunter's plot, he would have been aggravated.

Any kind of scent you put on yourself or on your boots or on a drag or in scent bombs are a 2-edged sword.  It may attract a deer. It may also send the deer running like a scalded cat, because it is a scent that is strange to that area.  In the 7 seasons I have eschewed scents, I have had vastly better luck in seeing and tagging deer.  Maybe I was just doing it wrong. D&DH has been a good source over the years on the low-down about scents-- good and bad.  They were the first to describe how fox-urine can send a deer scurrying.

Peanut butter?  Molasses?  If it's legal, I'm not going to fault anyone for giving stuff like this a try.  I have not seen it produce miraculous results. Don't tell #2 son this, but I used to put stuff like this out the week before youth season to increase the little bug's chance of success. Zip. Nada. The deer ignored the molasses-soaked stump and went right to the acorns. There is still an old bleached peanut butter bucket out by one of the stands that I need to retrieve, before he finds it one of these years. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 am

I believe that corn,apples, beats, carrets, ect.. is baiting.. I do bait when I hunt stateland that is heavely hunted because my odds of seeing a deer a increased greatly! If I dont use bait in an area like this like I have before  I just dont see any deer. It's like sitting there just to sit there. I think it's okay to use it. Infact, I was watching Micheal Waddell hunt on Road Trips once at a farm and if you look close you can see corn sprinkled on the ground. That is a form of baiting at a ranch. To me I would be againts that. If it where a food plot I would say that it is okay because it will help the antlers grow and is better for the deer as well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:49 am

mr deercamp im kind of confused by your last post as to you using bait to see deer on state land wich is ok but micheal waddel or who ever for that reason should not be allowed to sprinkle corn on the ground @ a deer ranch ? whats the difference? both are bait are they not?
adapt & overcome

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:04 am

This is a complex question, but a good one.

Some have said they believe nearly anything and everything to be baiting. Calling with a grunt tube? Rattling horns? Doe urine? Incredible.

Some have said ANY food plot is baiting. If so, then hunting over the edge of a crop field is baiting as well. Same with hunting an oak flat.

Baiting at it`s worst is hunting at a timed feeder, where the deer have been trained like catfish in a pond to come to the sound of fish chow hitting the water. Or hunting at a bait pile left in the woods for weeks, that deer have gotten accustomed to visiting.

In a nutshell, I believe baiting to be anything that conditions an animal to come to a very specific area, possibly even at a very specific time.

Scents, and calls couldn`t be classified as such, since, they don`t trigger a feeding response, and especially, don`t trigger a feeding response at a pre-determined time each day.

A food plot can`t be considered as such, since, much like a crop field, an animal may come at any time of day or night, from any direction, and may feed from such a distance as to not be confined in a small enough area as to offer a hunter any undue advantage.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:14 am

I suppose in the strictest since of the term and for purposes of defining the word, then bait could be considered anything and everything that might serve as an attractant.

However, from my perspective as a hunter I have to agree with 480.

In a nutshell, I believe baiting to be anything that conditions an animal to come to a very specific area, possibly even at a very specific time.

Scents, and calls couldn`t be classified as such, since, they don`t trigger a feeding response, and especially, don`t trigger a feeding response at a pre-determined time each day.

A food plot can`t be considered as such, since, much like a crop field, an animal may come at any time of day or night, from any direction, and may feed from such a distance as to not be confined in a small enough area as to offer a hunter any undue advantage.

Bill8800

Postby Bill8800 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 am

At the Pat Mayse WMA which is 135 miles NE of Dallas, Texas Parks and Wildlife defines baiting as: "The placement of salt, mineral, grain, sugar based products, or other food substance used as an attractant for wildlife. The use of sent lures simulating animal oders is not considered baiting."

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:11 am

THANK YOU 480!
adapt & overcome

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:14 am

Baiting...yes baiting is doing anything to attract an animal to a specific site...for harvest...we all bait

that is why some people get so fired up because they feel they are more rightgeous and they are above baiting, so they justify what they are doing by excuses or classifications

if I fish i am baiting the hook whether, i use a worm, a lure, or a fish trap..

it is the same thing for hunting, if you food plot, put down corn, use mineral licks , use scents, use rattling horns, doe bleet, grunt tube ...they are all used to attract and draw in game...there for they are baiting...they are baiting the animal to come eat, invetigate...or what ever

don't be above it ...embrass it...unless you are still hunting thru big woods in canada or maine or some other vast forest most likley you are baiting

hey its ok...what ever increases your chances...hunting is hard enough!!!!why not help yourself out.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions