What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hunter480

RE: What is baiting.

Postby hunter480 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:29 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

Baiting...yes baiting is doing anything to attract an animal to a specific site...for harvest...we all bait

that is why some people get so fired up because they feel they are more rightgeous and they are above baiting, so they justify what they are doing by excuses or classifications

if I fish i am baiting the hook whether, i use a worm, a lure, or a fish trap..

it is the same thing for hunting, if you food plot, put down corn, use mineral licks , use scents, use rattling horns, doe bleet, grunt tube ...they are all used to attract and draw in game...there for they are baiting...they are baiting the animal to come eat, invetigate...or what ever

don't be above it ...embrass it...unless you are still hunting thru big woods in canada or maine or some other vast forest most likley you are baiting

hey its ok...what ever increases your chances...hunting is hard enough!!!!why not help yourself out.

[8|]

Because "whatever" helps you out may be sleezy, unethical, and outright wrong. Hunting at night with a light "helps" you out, eh?
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:02 am

I think definitions of baits, lures, and attractants are or could be held differently through out the country.  I can tell lots of people are very against baiting as popularly defined.  However some of these posts do have points as well, IMO.  I always defined bait as something (probably organic) placed on a hook.  A lure would be more along the lines of something manmade with a hidden hook or two.  Both are attractants.  I think I would compare corn and Tinks 69 or a Tru talker to a bait and a lure.  Now what is the difference between an lure and a bait?  Effectiveness I would imagine.  Thats why I do notice that most who hunt over food type baits also use the calls and scents.  So what is bait?  In my mind it is a food or mineral. So what about food plots? corn?  oak flats?  Most everybody will agree transportable feed such as corn or mineral blocks is a food bait.  I personally think a food plot is a bait of sorts as is a oak flat especially if you fertilize the oaks.  Given that they are a naturally occuring bait, they are still a bait of sorts wether you hunt over or just around them.  Now as to the lures such as your rattling horns or scents or grunts I feel like these are just as much an attractant (or bait if you will ) and given the right technigue or conditions they are as effective or more so than a food bait.  Given that there is no appeal to the animals need to feed there is definitly an appeal to fight or breed which in my observations almost always override the need to eat unless said animal is starving to death.  Back to the question though  "what is baiting?"  Reguardless of the type, be it an attractant for the animals stomach or his brain  it all could be looked upon as a bait, depending on your perspective and beliefs.  In my own opinion I think baiting construes as anything that will attract the animal to you or within your weapons range. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:00 am

Baiting is dumping out a pile of corn or apples or the such we all know what it is. To each their own and if your happy and satisfied doing it then do it if its legal. The big differance I see is that food plots or destination fields can improve the whole herd and make for a healthier herd. Baiting does not because it is usually not enough feed and is stopped as soon as the hunting season is over. It can actually hurt the deer that are feeding on it because all of a sudden its not there anymore. Baiting is normally done in a small area and any diseases are easily spread. Baiting can also very easily turn deer nocturnal. Have I baited? yes! Do I anymore? No! I feel for ME its more fullfilling and the deer are more relaxed without baiting. This is gonna be an ugly debate! Remember what you feel is not everybodys opinion and that is what is great about this country! Good luck baiting or not!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Very interesting debate going on here..if anyone has ever been around Texas, or some of its many ranches, or small hunting leases, just about most bait. Whether your version of baiting is feeding corn (which I see alot around our areas), or doing as I do in planting food plots. True some people only feed during season, but I know some that feed year round, and feed protein year round. But I also agree with Goose on the fact that a food plot can possibly better a whole herd opposed to a few because its a limited amount of corn or whatever available when being fed. I also agree with Hunter480, there are limitations to what is considered good baiting such as his example with lights and how some baitings are unethical. However one chooses to hunt is choice, and others can only hope it is ethical.
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:52 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

This thread is going to fire a lot of people up, cant wait for the fall out. Any form of attractant that pulls deer to your location is baiting. corn apple piles food plots deer scents... I say use em all.. Unless you are a non-resident hunter... Then stay out of my state...

Just kidding...

From those who much is given, much is expected

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:06 pm

You know, I love the outdoor shows, but whenever I see one of those Texas hunts that they have spread their normal 100 lbs of corn over the trail, I just end up turning to something else. They spend a ton of money doing it and it is their right, but it seems to loose the quite a bit of anticipation.

Now I don't bait in TN, but I do in WI. The rules are the rules and that's OK by me. If I can, then I will. I've never had a monster buck come into a bait pile unless it was 2:00 AM. That may be a different story in the early season or late season. They don't get big for being stupid. 
From those who much is given, much is expected

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:35 pm

perfect I agree.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:11 pm

Yes I do call a ag crop field bait because deer come there to feed right and you go there to kill a deer because that is a likly place to find deer otherwise why would you hunt there. Yes there are a lot of places to eat the food in the fields and oak flats agreed but like you said you place your stand on the most used trail to the bedding from the WHAT the food source (bait).

You sure do know a lot about baiting for sombody who doesnt bait. I do know the difference between the two bait and ag fields just making a point that the deer are coming to feed at both and you are sitting at both in some cases to kill said deer.

If you listen to most hunters on tv talking about there food plots what do they talk about the pulling power these plots have for making deer want to come and feed at them and what do those hunters do they sit on the plot and kill a deer..

I realize your state may tell you what is considered bait by saying it is corn or salt that is carried out by the hunter is bait. Take it a step further if you place scent on a scent wick and place it in a tree which I am sure is legal by state standards, what are you trying to do. Lure a deer to your location to do what Kill that deer you are luring that deer to a place he or she might not have gone unless your scent was there..

Just saying if you use something to get deer to your location so you can shoot them then you are dare I say it BAITING that deer to your location. I know to you it sounds better to tell your buddies that you lured him in with a well placed scent wick.

cant wait for your next grumpy face at the end of you post. LOL

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:09 pm

For me baiting is dumping or planting to bring deer into a certain area.Ag are for the farmers to bring that crop to market or to feed his live stock.The deer come into the ag to feed ,there is no intent of the farmer to feed the deer.Acorns are a natural food source that a hunter will use to his advantage.So i can understand if thats is consider natural bait( weak excuse for bait).Deer calls ,scents, rattling antlers,i don't see how they can be consider bait.    
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Might as well just say that everyone baits in some way, shape or form, whether some want to accept it as baiting or not...
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions