What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
schlupis

RE: What is baiting.

Postby schlupis » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:02 pm

WOW legnip I must have hit a sore spot with you or you just plain dont like me Now you are changing my post to make me look bad... Newcomers might read that doctored quote and have a bad opinion of me.. Not cool.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:52 pm

A farmer plants a field to harvest for market or what have you, and yes you harvest crops, anyway when a hunter uses that same field to hunt in they are hunting so they are using the crop for bait hoping it attracts a critter..so I of course aint above that in the leaste. I have killed many elk in alfalfa fields or follow the elk to were they left the field and killed em were they sleep..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Yes I do call a ag crop field bait because deer come there to feed right and you go there to kill a deer because that is a likly place to find deer otherwise why would you hunt there. Yes there are a lot of places to eat the food in the fields and oak flats agreed but like you said you place your stand on the most used trail to the bedding from the WHAT the food source (bait).

You sure do know a lot about baiting for sombody who doesnt bait. I do know the difference between the two bait and ag fields just making a point that the deer are coming to feed at both and you are sitting at both in some cases to kill said deer.

If you listen to most hunters on tv talking about there food plots what do they talk about the pulling power these plots have for making deer want to come and feed at them and what do those hunters do they sit on the plot and kill a deer..

I realize your state may tell you what is considered bait by saying it is corn or salt that is carried out by the hunter is bait. Take it a step further if you place scent on a scent wick and place it in a tree which I am sure is legal by state standards, what are you trying to do. Lure a deer to your location to do what Kill that deer you are luring that deer to a place he or she might not have gone unless your scent was there..

Just saying if you use something to get deer to your location so you can shoot them then you are dare I say it BAITING that deer to your location. I know to you it sounds better to tell your buddies that you lured him in with a well placed scent wick.

cant wait for your next grumpy face at the end of you post. LOL
   I know alot about baiting, because its posted all over the net, tv, magazines, etc. Should I remain ignorant to the subject, because someone like you will more or less, accuse me of illegal baiting?  I never said I hunt trails where deer are traveling to and from my plots. I also don't hunt over my plots, because the deer visit them in the middle of the night anyway...so get it strait before you accuse me. The state has to draw a line between what is legal, and what is not legal.  I side with the state, if its natural to the area or farmed, it's not bait. According to some of you everything a deer eats and everywhere a deer spends time is bait, which is absurd to say the least. Deer have the right to pick and choose, where they browse or where spend thier time.   When someone sets out piles of corn or salt type baits at their hunting site for harvesting deer with a unfair advantage, they take the nature out of hunting. [>:]       
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:22 pm

The hunting scents could have been placed in a natural way just as easily. I think your trying to confuse a scent lure for a food bait, and in my opinion they just arent the same. Thats why they have different names, you have to draw the line somewhere.  

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Settle down there guy your getting to worked up. This is a discussion with some differences of opinion. I never accused you of illegal baiting. Just simply stated my opinion on the subject.

You mean to tell me you only hunt the trails leading from the bedding area, where does the trail lead to from the bedding area? Probably the food source in the area ( your Plot maybe). I find it hard to believe that you do not hunt anywhere near your food plot or some form of ag field because IL doesnt have to many really large woodlots where you can say without a doubt that the deer you see were not going to a food source. Deer usually have a purpose when on the move from bedding its usually to food and then from the food back to bedding.

Is your food Plot natural to the area you hunt if not would I be safe to assume that its bait.. Not sure what you plant. You know for a fact that the deer in your area only come to your plot at night and never during the day, without a doubt the smartest deer on earth then. Just because its farmed means it cant be considered bait why? When a person buys a bag of corn where does it come from. A farmers field right. So let me get this straight if the corn is still in the field, not bait but as soon as it makes it to a bag its bait..

Yes deer have the right to pick and choose where they spend their time, just because sombody puts out a pile of corn or apples doesnt mean that deer is going to spend all of its time at the pile, like its a magnit the deer cant resist...

You say you side with the state on this issue just food for thought what if the state of IL decide to add scents like tinks 69 and such to the list as illigal baiting would you still side with them and be as passionate about how bad scents are and say it gives the hunter a unfair advantage and that it takes the nature out of hunting... Just because the state says it doesnt mean you have to agree with it.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:44 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Settle down there guy your getting to worked up. This is a discussion with some differences of opinion. I never accused you of illegal baiting. Just simply stated my opinion on the subject.

You mean to tell me you only hunt the trails leading from the bedding area, where does the trail lead to from the bedding area? Probably the food source in the area ( your Plot maybe). I find it hard to believe that you do not hunt anywhere near your food plot or some form of ag field because IL doesnt have to many really large woodlots where you can say without a doubt that the deer you see were not going to a food source. Deer usually have a purpose when on the move from bedding its usually to food and then from the food back to bedding.

Is your food Plot natural to the area you hunt if not would I be safe to assume that its bait.. Not sure what you plant. You know for a fact that the deer in your area only come to your plot at night and never during the day, without a doubt the smartest deer on earth then. Just because its farmed means it cant be considered bait why? When a person buys a bag of corn where does it come from. A farmers field right. So let me get this straight if the corn is still in the field, not bait but as soon as it makes it to a bag its bait..

Yes deer have the right to pick and choose where they spend their time, just because sombody puts out a pile of corn or apples doesnt mean that deer is going to spend all of its time at the pile, like its a magnit the deer cant resist...

You say you side with the state on this issue just food for thought what if the state of IL decide to add scents like tinks 69 and such to the list as illigal baiting would you still side with them and be as passionate about how bad scents are and say it gives the hunter a unfair advantage and that it takes the nature out of hunting... Just because the state says it doesnt mean you have to agree with it.
   Your the one getting worked up not me. It's illegal to hunt over bait in IL, so yeah you were accusing me.  Yes clover is natural to my area, but its still a planted farmed ag crop,and by state law not considered "bait"...understand? The deer are going to the many acres of mast, CRP, and fields surrounding my property. Deer have to eat what is your point?  I can see my plots from my house, and I rarely see deer in them in the daylight.   Reguardless of where they go I'm still hunting a bedding area, and the deer can exit/enter at any point they choose. My plot isn't piled up on the ground, for one week out of the season like bait being hunted over. I never said scents give anyone a unfair advantage, I said hunting over a pile of salt,apples or corn does. If the state deemed scents illegal, due to risk of cwd, or even considered scents "bait" , I wouldnt use them anymore. But, that isn't going to happen, so I'm not worried, because the state has some comonsense of what is bait or not. 

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 am

Perfect you proved my point you are hunting the trail from the bedding to the food source (bait) you just sugar coat it to make youself feel good.. Its ok buddy.  You wouldnt be upset if you couldnt use scents anymore and you would consider them bait if the state said so. C'MON guy get real...

My point is deer have to eat yes and you hunt those food sources (sorry not you only bedding for you) but some of us hunt the food source, because we know deer are going to come to it much like they would a bait pile, and we hunt the most well used trail to and from that source.

You think your state has common sense but who knows most people thought baiting would never be banned either and now look, maybe the state will think scents wicks are the problem and bang now there banned. But you still have your bedding area so shouldnt effect you.

Good luck I cant wait to hunt the bait field I just planted this year.. LOL

P.S where is your angry face.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:27 am

I'm not angry, and your futile attempts to get me mad about your ideals about baiting aren't going to upset me anytime soon. How is a bait pile the same as a 100 acre field, or 200 acre oak lot? Yeah, your right I'll have my bedding area, and all my 50 live does scent marking the entire place. [8|]        P.S. I guess your S.O.L.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 am

Well when reading your post a person get the impression your angry.. Why you gotta go and call a guy idiotic.. these are my opinions about baiting much like you have yours about the issue only according to you yours are right and everybody else is wrong.

bait pile 100 acre field one is a small pile of food  one is a large pile of food just spread out more, end result is always the same dead deer off of a food source...

I like how you over due it on your doe scent (bait) wicks marking the area thats awesome and effective.

P.S. I think my attempts are working so take deep breath and look at that 200 incher on the wall and send a happy post next time... LOL

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:32 am

Well your getting the wrong impression if you think your getting me mad, which I figure is the point of your repetive posts. Opinions are like........well you know, everybody has one.  I over-do it on my scent wicks?   

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions