What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
schlupis

RE: What is baiting.

Postby schlupis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:20 am

You said 50 doe scent marking the entire area its your post guy.. thats overduing it.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:29 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

You said 50 doe scent marking the entire area its your post guy.. thats overduing it.
Scent marks from live deer, all 50 of them in the doe herd. Not anything I would have to make myself of course. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:42 am

ahh I see

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:23 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Well when reading your post a person get the impression your angry.. Why you gotta go and call a guy idiotic.. these are my opinions about baiting much like you have yours about the issue only according to you yours are right and everybody else is wrong.

bait pile 100 acre field one is a small pile of food  one is a large pile of food just spread out more, end result is always the same dead deer off of a food source...

I like how you over due it on your doe scent (bait) wicks marking the area thats awesome and effective.

P.S. I think my attempts are working so take deep breath and look at that 200 incher on the wall and send a happy post next time... LOL

LOL!!!  Now THIS is priceless..........Eatdeer getting insulted because someone accused HIM of being/doing something that he claims he didn't/doesn't do!

Sure, Eatdeer. You don't illegally bait...."Just because someone says it, doesn't make it true......"

But you don't care what we think of you...right?

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:02 pm

Not wanting someone telling me I'm baiting, when the law says otherwise, doesnt mean I am insulted. It means I'm annoyed with ignorance of the law.  I do not, and have never illegaly baited deer, is that too hard for your mind to grasp? I don't care what you think of me, that's besides the point anyway. Just because your all for the baiting of wild deer, doesnt mean that I'm breaking the laws in my state, by planting a food plot. Saying everything that draws a deer is bait, isnt going to get un-natural cwd spreading corn piles and salt blocks, etc, legalized anyway.   Get a clue. [8|] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:08 am

Why is baiting such a sore spot for you.. and what is your reasoning for thinking its unethical is it because your state says it is. just wondering.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:34 am

I do not, and have never illegaly baited deer,

Sure you haven't......"Just because someone says it, doesn't make it true....."

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Alright, here is my take on BAITING...

We all have read (I hope) our own state's DNR rules and definitions on baiting.

The dictionary defines bait as [color=#660000]"anything used as a lure; enticement" (noun) or "to lure; tempt; entice" (verb)[/color]

So, if you want me to define deer baiting, I say that ANYTHING that you put in the woods that will attract or entice deer to come into your area is baiting.  There are different degrees and different types of baiting, but anything that we as hunters put into the woods to attract deer is bait.

So for my definition, this would include food piles (corn, beans, acorns, etc.), feeders, minerals, food plots, planting apple or oak trees, decoys, scents, calls, etc...  Any one of these things lures deer in and was put there by us as hunters.  Whether it is for food to eat or because they think it is another deer, they are all things we as hunters put into the woods to entice the deer to come, stay, and hang out.

Like I said there are different degrees of baiting.  Using doe-in-heat urine and dumping out a pile of corn are totally different.  But they do have a similar result.  Both attract deer into the area you are hunting.  You don't even have to hunt over it for it to be bait.  If you shoot a deer on the way to the bait, instead of directly over the bait, isn't that the same thing?  The bait is what brought them in.

With that said, I am all for baiting.  Deer are hard enough to hunt without baits.  Where I hunt in Southern Ohio, it is nothing but deep woods.  There is no agriculture anywhere nearby.  We used to just show up and hunt.  Well, let me tell you that since we have added feeders, mineral licks, cut trails, planted food plots, used attractant scents, etc... we have greatly increased the number of deer sightings on our trail cams and when we hunt.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.  I've read all the posts and I understand some people are against all types of baiting, some are for some baiting but not all of it (yes to food plots, but no to feeders, for example), and some are like me and think it is all great.  (Although I don't understand how someone can condemn a feeder, but say a food plot is OK.  Isn't that just a live growing feeder?  Aren't some food plots corn and soybeans, which is what we put in our feeders?)

Again in my opinion, it's all baiting in one form or another. 

If those of you are truly against baiting, then try to go hunt and do not alter the area at all with anything that will bring deer in. Although it might make you feel better to say, "I don't bait, I only plant food plots", sorry, that food plot IS a bait.  It would not be in the woods if you didn't plant, lime, fertilize, & mow it.  And I know you didn't plant it just to make the woods look better.  It was planted for the purpose of attracting deer onto your land and in doing so giving them a good source of food to eat.

I say whatever baits you use, if you think it helps and it is legal in your state, then have at it and good luck!!!

Just my $.02
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

[The dictionary defines bait as "anything used as a lure; enticement" (noun) or "to lure; tempt; entice"

i think that says it all...

Some hunters want to feel better and some want to put themselves on an ethical pedistal...above other hunters...

but we should all be on the same page and stop fighting amoung ourselves...what is legal is legal..kill it and grill it ...to each his own

the only way you are not baiting is to still hunt ...in the snow where you are following deer tracks!!!!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

Alright, here is my take on BAITING...

We all have read (I hope) our own state's DNR rules and definitions on baiting.

The dictionary defines bait as [color=#660000]"anything used as a lure; enticement" (noun) or "to lure; tempt; entice" (verb)[/color]

So, if you want me to define deer baiting, I say that ANYTHING that you put in the woods that will attract or entice deer to come into your area is baiting.  There are different degrees and different types of baiting, but anything that we as hunters put into the woods to attract deer is bait.

So for my definition, this would include food piles (corn, beans, acorns, etc.), feeders, minerals, food plots, planting apple or oak trees, decoys, scents, calls, etc...  Any one of these things lures deer in and was put there by us as hunters.  Whether it is for food to eat or because they think it is another deer, they are all things we as hunters put into the woods to entice the deer to come, stay, and hang out.

Like I said there are different degrees of baiting.  Using doe-in-heat urine and dumping out a pile of corn are totally different.  But they do have a similar result.  Both attract deer into the area you are hunting.  You don't even have to hunt over it for it to be bait.  If you shoot a deer on the way to the bait, instead of directly over the bait, isn't that the same thing?  The bait is what brought them in.

With that said, I am all for baiting.  Deer are hard enough to hunt without baits.  Where I hunt in Southern Ohio, it is nothing but deep woods.  There is no agriculture anywhere nearby.  We used to just show up and hunt.  Well, let me tell you that since we have added feeders, mineral licks, cut trails, planted food plots, used attractant scents, etc... we have greatly increased the number of deer sightings on our trail cams and when we hunt.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.  I've read all the posts and I understand some people are against all types of baiting, some are for some baiting but not all of it (yes to food plots, but no to feeders, for example), and some are like me and think it is all great.  (Although I don't understand how someone can condemn a feeder, but say a food plot is OK.  Isn't that just a live growing feeder?  Aren't some food plots corn and soybeans, which is what we put in our feeders?)

Again in my opinion, it's all baiting in one form or another. 

If those of you are truly against baiting, then try to go hunt and do not alter the area at all with anything that will bring deer in. Although it might make you feel better to say, "I don't bait, I only plant food plots", sorry, that food plot IS a bait.  It would not be in the woods if you didn't plant, lime, fertilize, & mow it.  And I know you didn't plant it just to make the woods look better.  It was planted for the purpose of attracting deer onto your land and in doing so giving them a good source of food to eat.

I say whatever baits you use, if you think it helps and it is legal in your state, then have at it and good luck!!!

Just my $.02

Ok, sure thing. And driving with beer in a grocery sack in your truck is drunk driving. Paaaallleeezze.

Food plots aren`t baiting, doe urins isn`t baiting.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions