What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JOEL

RE: What is baiting.

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Bravo,you get it
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Remember what you feel is not everybodys opinion and that is what is great about this country! Good luck baiting or not!

Well said!!! [:D]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Hunter 480 your on your pedistile again here you go thinking what your doing is right and anybody doing different or thinking different is wrong..

define why the last part of your post is not baiting why and why not...

your using those things for one purpose and one purpose only to get a deer to come to your location and stand still long enough for you to kill him or her..Its bait just embrace it..

Comparing Drunk driving and a deer eating at a corn pile or food plot please explain maybe you forgot to finish your post....

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Some people spend way to much time on their farm, and killing deer on their farm, so they have a method that they use on their farm, and they think the same method should be used every were because that is what they do on their farm..I say ya need to leave the farm oneday and see there is far more hunting, and many many diffrent ways to go about killin critters..Go hunt out in the woods go hunt public land get new exsperiences embrace the hunting world, and you will learn oneday that hey it aint "unethical" I have just been wearing these blinders...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:55 pm

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

[color="#0000ff"]Alright, here is my take on BAITING...[/color]
[color="#0000ff"][/color] 
[color="#0000ff"]We all have read (I hope) our own state's DNR rules and definitions on baiting.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]The dictionary defines bait as [color="#660000"]"anything used as a lure; enticement" (noun)[/color] or [color="#660000"]"to lure; tempt; entice" (verb)[/color][/color]
[color="#0000ff"]So, if you want me to define deer baiting, I say that ANYTHING that you put in the woods that will attract or entice deer to come into your area is baiting.  There are different degrees and different types of baiting, but anything that we as hunters put into the woods to attract deer is bait.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]So for my definition, this would include food piles (corn, beans, acorns, etc.), feeders, minerals, food plots, planting apple or oak trees, decoys, scents, calls, etc...  Any one of these things lures deer in and was put there by us as hunters.  Whether it is for food to eat or because they think it is another deer, they are all things we as hunters put into the woods to entice the deer to come, stay, and hang out.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Like I said there are different degrees of baiting.  Using doe-in-heat urine and dumping out a pile of corn are totally different.  But they do have a similar result.  Both attract deer into the area you are hunting.  You don't even have to hunt over it for it to be bait.  If you shoot a deer on the way to the bait, instead of directly over the bait, isn't that the same thing?  The bait is what brought them in.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]With that said, I am all for baiting.  Deer are hard enough to hunt without baits.  Where I hunt in Southern Ohio, it is nothing but deep woods.  There is no agriculture anywhere nearby.  We used to just show up and hunt.  Well, let me tell you that since we have added feeders, mineral licks, cut trails, planted food plots, used attractant scents, etc... we have greatly increased the number of deer sightings on our trail cams and when we hunt.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Like I said, that's just my opinion.  I've read all the posts and I understand some people are against all types of baiting, some are for some baiting but not all of it (yes to food plots, but no to feeders, for example), and some are like me and think it is all great.  (Although I don't understand how someone can condemn a feeder, but say a food plot is OK.  Isn't that just a live growing feeder?  Aren't some food plots corn and soybeans, which is what we put in our feeders?)[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Again in my opinion, it's all baiting in one form or another.  [/color]
[color="#0000ff"]If those of you are truly against baiting, then try to go hunt and do not alter the area at all with anything that will bring deer in. Although it might make you feel better to say, "I don't bait, I only plant food plots", sorry, that food plot IS a bait.  It would not be in the woods if you didn't plant, lime, fertilize, & mow it.  And I know you didn't plant it just to make the woods look better.  It was planted for the purpose of attracting deer onto your land and in doing so giving them a good source of food to eat.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]I say whatever baits you use, if you think it helps and it is legal in your state, then have at it and good luck!!! [/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Just my $.02[/color]

I wondered when someone would bring Webster into this......Much obliged! 

Another form of baiting is and has been happening on this thread[:D]

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:05 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

[color="#0000ff"]Alright, here is my take on BAITING...[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]We all have read (I hope) our own state's DNR rules and definitions on baiting.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]The dictionary defines bait as [color="#660000"]"anything used as a lure; enticement" (noun)[/color] or [color="#660000"]"to lure; tempt; entice" (verb)[/color][/color]
[color="#0000ff"]So, if you want me to define deer baiting, I say that ANYTHING that you put in the woods that will attract or entice deer to come into your area is baiting.  There are different degrees and different types of baiting, but anything that we as hunters put into the woods to attract deer is bait.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]So for my definition, this would include food piles (corn, beans, acorns, etc.), feeders, minerals, food plots, planting apple or oak trees, decoys, scents, calls, etc...  Any one of these things lures deer in and was put there by us as hunters.  Whether it is for food to eat or because they think it is another deer, they are all things we as hunters put into the woods to entice the deer to come, stay, and hang out.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Like I said there are different degrees of baiting.  Using doe-in-heat urine and dumping out a pile of corn are totally different.  But they do have a similar result.  Both attract deer into the area you are hunting.  You don't even have to hunt over it for it to be bait.  If you shoot a deer on the way to the bait, instead of directly over the bait, isn't that the same thing?  The bait is what brought them in.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]With that said, I am all for baiting.  Deer are hard enough to hunt without baits.  Where I hunt in Southern Ohio, it is nothing but deep woods.  There is no agriculture anywhere nearby.  We used to just show up and hunt.  Well, let me tell you that since we have added feeders, mineral licks, cut trails, planted food plots, used attractant scents, etc... we have greatly increased the number of deer sightings on our trail cams and when we hunt.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Like I said, that's just my opinion.  I've read all the posts and I understand some people are against all types of baiting, some are for some baiting but not all of it (yes to food plots, but no to feeders, for example), and some are like me and think it is all great.  (Although I don't understand how someone can condemn a feeder, but say a food plot is OK.  Isn't that just a live growing feeder?  Aren't some food plots corn and soybeans, which is what we put in our feeders?)[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Again in my opinion, it's all baiting in one form or another.  [/color]
[color="#0000ff"]If those of you are truly against baiting, then try to go hunt and do not alter the area at all with anything that will bring deer in. Although it might make you feel better to say, "I don't bait, I only plant food plots", sorry, that food plot IS a bait.  It would not be in the woods if you didn't plant, lime, fertilize, & mow it.  And I know you didn't plant it just to make the woods look better.  It was planted for the purpose of attracting deer onto your land and in doing so giving them a good source of food to eat.[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]I say whatever baits you use, if you think it helps and it is legal in your state, then have at it and good luck!!! [/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Just my $.02[/color]

Ok, sure thing. And driving with beer in a grocery sack in your truck is drunk driving. Paaaallleeezze.

Food plots aren`t baiting, doe urins isn`t baiting.

Ok first part ....HUH?  what does beer in a grocery sack have to do with anything?  Is that something specific from north of the Mason Dixon?[:D]

second part ...well yeah they are....I don't plant food plots but for one purpose....feed deer....then I kill em'  Maybe not on the plot (yeah right) but they're nice and juicy where ever I shoot em thanks to a little Biologic Boost.  & most assuredly Doe pee is a lure / bait...cant think of any other reason to tote it around and sprinkle it all over the woods....the only other use it has is in practical jokes if someone has cloth truck seats.....[:D]

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:11 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Hunter 480 your on your pedistile again here you go thinking what your doing is right and anybody doing different or thinking different is wrong..

your using those things for one purpose and one purpose only to get a deer to come to your location and stand still long enough for you to kill him or her..Its bait just embrace it..

Comparing Drunk driving and a deer eating at a corn pile or food plot please explain maybe you forgot to finish your post....

I finished my post, and to address the next post too, nope, I don`t have blinders on. I well understand what hunting is across the board.

You think that a food plot is baiting? You believe an oak flat is hunting over bait? You think using doe urine is baiting? Geeze. Is driving in your truck to the hunting area unethical as well? Get a grip.

We`ve evolved from the place where our ancesters did whatever they had to do to put food on the table. With the fact that hunting is now, a pursuit, not a life and death endeavor, we`ve changed some of the rules. The meaning of what`s ethical has changed somewhat. But good grief.....you sound like breathing is an undue advantage over the animals.....

Killing deer is simply that.....killing deer. No extra prize for killing a deer with a bigger rack, no lesser prize for killing a deer some deem to be a "lesser" deer. It`s ok to use a commercial ground blind, it`s ok to use Scent Killer, it`s ok to hunt over a food plot, or at an oak flat. If you make it more, or less than any of that, it`s nothing more than your own neurotic belief`s.

Hunting white-tails is a noble pursuit. It`s filled with the sights, sounds, and smells of the deer woods. All the things we understand immediately from that simple, brief statement. If, or when, it becomes tangled up in the silly, politically correct nonsense of all the other stuff-the qdm, peta, B&C, P&Y stuff.....we`ve lost the way. We`ve forgotten, or even decided to ignore what our very first kill felt like. What that meant to US, as we`ve decided to assign to the other hunter, what THEY should kill....what THEY should embrace as their first memory, and kill. What a very sad statement that is.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:33 pm

I finished my post, and to address the next post too, nope, I don`t have blinders on. I well understand what hunting is across the board.

You think that a food plot is baiting? You believe an oak flat is hunting over bait? You think using doe urine is baiting? Geeze. Is driving in your truck to the hunting area unethical as well? Get a grip.

We`ve evolved from the place where our ancesters did whatever they had to do to put food on the table. With the fact that hunting is now, a pursuit, not a life and death endeavor, we`ve changed some of the rules. The meaning of what`s ethical has changed somewhat. But good grief.....you sound like breathing is an undue advantage over the animals.....

Killing deer is simply that.....killing deer. No extra prize for killing a deer with a bigger rack, no lesser prize for killing a deer some deem to be a "lesser" deer. It`s ok to use a commercial ground blind, it`s ok to use Scent Killer, it`s ok to hunt over a food plot, or at an oak flat. If you make it more, or less than any of that, it`s nothing more than your own neurotic belief`s.

Hunting white-tails is a noble pursuit. It`s filled with the sights, sounds, and smells of the deer woods. All the things we understand immediately from that simple, brief statement. If, or when, it becomes tangled up in the silly, politically correct nonsense of all the other stuff-the qdm, peta, B&C, P&Y stuff.....we`ve lost the way. We`ve forgotten, or even decided to ignore what our very first kill felt like. What that meant to US, as we`ve decided to assign to the other hunter, what THEY should kill....what THEY should embrace as their first memory, and kill. What a very sad statement that is.

OK--- for the first time in a coons age we agree ( agreeing to disagree on the bait  vs lure thing)  everything else in your post is pretty well [8|] spot on....I just think the word "bait" is taboo for some since it has had so much negativity associated with.  I still like FFKEVINS post and definition----anything that brings an animal in basically is the meaning I got.  I still subscribe to most of the subsistance hunting beliefs but you are correct...with the continueing advancement of technology we don't have to hunt to survive.  Where we cut off the advantages that the modern age gives us (like corn....cause you can bet an 1860's type would not go dumping 50 lbs of corn in a deer feeder)  that cut off is up to us ..and the state we live in.

I do have a question to kick out though ----- If I feed  corn supplementally through a feeder, year round, as well as protien pellets for the betterment of my herd, is that baiting?  Whats the difference in that and a food plot?  The feeders there all the time the plot is not....just curious.... I would call it baiting but based on the definitions and posts herin this thread?

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:54 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through

OK--- for the first time in a coons age we agree ( agreeing to disagree on the bait  vs lure thing)  everything else in your post is pretty well [8|] spot on....I just think the word "bait" is taboo for some since it has had so much negativity associated with.  I still like FFKEVINS post and definition----anything that brings an animal in basically is the meaning I got.  I still subscribe to most of the subsistance hunting beliefs but you are correct...with the continueing advancement of technology we don't have to hunt to survive.  Where we cut off the advantages that the modern age gives us (like corn....cause you can bet an 1860's type would not go dumping 50 lbs of corn in a deer feeder)  that cut off is up to us ..and the state we live in.

I do have a question to kick out though ----- If I feed  corn supplementally through a feeder, year round, as well as protien pellets for the betterment of my herd, is that baiting?  Whats the difference in that and a food plot?  The feeders there all the time the plot is not....just curious.... I would call it baiting but based on the definitions and posts herin this thread?

It`s great we`re making progress......

To answer your question, a feeder is a conditioning machine.....condtion the animal to come to the same place, at the same time(s), each day. A food plot on the other hand, just like a crop field, is a much bigger area, NOT dropping pellets at a specified time, like the catfish at the pond we mentioned earlier, jumping up to take the chow.

A food plot, or a crop field do provide the deer nutrition, just not in a very narrow area, timed to spit out food at a predetermined time, in a small area, as to give a "hunter" an advantage.

salt licks, mineral blocks, anything that is left out to trigger the deer`s response to feed, to establish a behavior, a pattern to come back to a specific area, especially at any predetermined time, that`s baiting.

Putting doe urine in the wind, squeezing a rattle-bag, is not baiting. Of course it`s intended to get a desired effect. To bring a white-tail into bow or gun range, but not with a conditioning, that comes from putting corn, or buck grub into a neat little pile, to bring the animal into easy shooting range.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:19 pm

WOW! what a discussion, the topic of baiting is right up there with religion and politics. being from wisconsin, i've decided I will call bait whatever the WI DNR calls bait, since it is regulated here and it doesnt really matter what i call bait. what matters is what the DNR calls bait. according to Wisconsin law......

What exactly is considered bait?
Bait is any material that is placed or used to attract wild animals, including scent
materials, salt, minerals, grains, etc. Water is not considered bait.
What is considered a scent material?
Scent is any material, except animal parts or by-products, used to attract wild animals
solely by its odor.
In areas where deer baiting is not allowed, what CAN I USE to attract deer
closer to my stand if I can't use bait?
Use of the following are legal statewide:
• Decoys
• Scents
• Naturally occurring material (such as acorns), deposited by natural vegetation, that
is not collected and relocated in any manner.
• Crops planted and left standing as wildlife food plots.
• Material deposited solely as a result of normal agricultural or gardening practices
and not collected and relocated for hunting or other purposes.

I copied and pasted this right from the regulations, so in wisconsin, that there is what bait is and isnt. good enough for me.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions