What is baiting.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gutpile

RE: What is baiting.

Postby gutpile » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:31 pm

I still say people need to leave the farm and see whats out there...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I do not, and have never illegaly baited deer,

Sure you haven't......"Just because someone says it, doesn't make it true....."
 Like when Ted Nugent says he doesn't do drugs?[;)] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Why is baiting such a sore spot for you.. and what is your reasoning for thinking its unethical is it because your state says it is. just wondering.
Why is baiting such a sore spot for you? Thats the real question, why else would you try to turn the discussion into personal attacks to try making me mad? Why would you insist that I am a bait'er, when state law dictates otherwise? Is that how you want to make your points to me? The spreading of CWD is a reason for not baiting. Hunters that are baiting illegaly, then poaching deer in the baited area is another. Hunters that are using baiting for a un-fair advantage over other hunters is another good reason. I'm sure there are many more reasons why my state has outlawed baiting. Did you even watch the video on baiting that the Editor of the mag, posted in the rub-line section? If not you might want to check it out, I watched it two or three times, it really touched on some issues about baiting,and why it may be impractical, you may not have considered before.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:16 pm

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

Alright, here is my take on BAITING...

We all have read (I hope) our own state's DNR rules and definitions on baiting.

The dictionary defines bait as [color=#660000]"anything used as a lure; enticement" (noun) or "to lure; tempt; entice" (verb)[/color]

So, if you want me to define deer baiting, I say that ANYTHING that you put in the woods that will attract or entice deer to come into your area is baiting.  There are different degrees and different types of baiting, but anything that we as hunters put into the woods to attract deer is bait.

So for my definition, this would include food piles (corn, beans, acorns, etc.), feeders, minerals, food plots, planting apple or oak trees, decoys, scents, calls, etc...  Any one of these things lures deer in and was put there by us as hunters.  Whether it is for food to eat or because they think it is another deer, they are all things we as hunters put into the woods to entice the deer to come, stay, and hang out.

Like I said there are different degrees of baiting.  Using doe-in-heat urine and dumping out a pile of corn are totally different.  But they do have a similar result.  Both attract deer into the area you are hunting.  You don't even have to hunt over it for it to be bait.  If you shoot a deer on the way to the bait, instead of directly over the bait, isn't that the same thing?  The bait is what brought them in.

With that said, I am all for baiting.  Deer are hard enough to hunt without baits.  Where I hunt in Southern Ohio, it is nothing but deep woods.  There is no agriculture anywhere nearby.  We used to just show up and hunt.  Well, let me tell you that since we have added feeders, mineral licks, cut trails, planted food plots, used attractant scents, etc... we have greatly increased the number of deer sightings on our trail cams and when we hunt.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.  I've read all the posts and I understand some people are against all types of baiting, some are for some baiting but not all of it (yes to food plots, but no to feeders, for example), and some are like me and think it is all great.  (Although I don't understand how someone can condemn a feeder, but say a food plot is OK.  Isn't that just a live growing feeder?  Aren't some food plots corn and soybeans, which is what we put in our feeders?)

Again in my opinion, it's all baiting in one form or another. 

If those of you are truly against baiting, then try to go hunt and do not alter the area at all with anything that will bring deer in. Although it might make you feel better to say, "I don't bait, I only plant food plots", sorry, that food plot IS a bait.  It would not be in the woods if you didn't plant, lime, fertilize, & mow it.  And I know you didn't plant it just to make the woods look better.  It was planted for the purpose of attracting deer onto your land and in doing so giving them a good source of food to eat.

I say whatever baits you use, if you think it helps and it is legal in your state, then have at it and good luck!!!

Just my $.02
So according to you, deer feeding  along a mowed roadside are being baited. When I urinate on the ground by my stand, and a deer is attracted to the human urine, I'm baiting deer? When a deer see's another deer by my stand site and investigates, it's baiting? When a buck travels into the cross winds, he is being baited? Moon phase is baiting deer as well? Deer drinking water out of a 50 mile long creek are baited? Farmers that plant crops, are just baiting deer right? Deer don't have to visit any of my plots, they can chose 150 other food sources at any time to feed. You really have to DRAW THE LINE at what baiting is when it comes to deer hunting. I'm sure Webster wasnt thinking about how deer hunting relates to baiting deer, when they wrote definetion anyway. [8|]

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:47 am

H480 you are only using the scent or rattle bag when on stand I highly doubt you are leaving your doe pee scent up all day and all night for the deer to smell at any time they feel the need.. You only put it out when you want them there a lot like bait.

Never said any of them were unethical ( food plots oak flats doe urine) you did dont know where you got that from "get a grip" love how you talk down to people..

Your post are getting a little off track here with your ethics talk and breathing being a undue advantage over deer.. What happened to your crying out for the Poor slob as you call them getting there deer.. What if they shot it over a bait pile would that be ok because he doesnt like to plant food plots. maybe he likes to put down some corn and then go out and kill a deer any deer. Would he get talked down to buy you like you are doing to the rest of us, or would you defend him because he only gets a few days to hunt.. This should fall under the same catagory to YOU as AR because the state is telling the hunter how to hunt when they tell them they cant use bait, dont you think...

Point being just because a hunter didnt bring the food out to the woods doesnt mean it cant be used much the same way those deer visit piles of food the same way they visit food plots and oak flats. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:14 am

Maybe deer should be banned from having movement patterns, natural or un-natural, instead of baiting being illegal, let the state outlaw deer movement.[8|]

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 am

Eatdeer I think he is saying if you are using those things because you know deer will come to them then you are using them as bait.

I was watching a hunting show the other day and the pro hunter had a doe come in under his stand and mill around he said its nice to have this doe here because she is perfect BAIT for a buck to come into range.

and what are you doing urinating by your stand anyways..

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:41 am

I dont know if you are against baiting because you think you are above it or because your state tells you baiting is bad.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:10 am

Why do you go to night clubs? For the booze and food?  I think you know what that buck was looking for, it wasn't bait, it was a natural attractant, and a live decoy. It wasn't dropped there by the hunter, or tied to the tree. I don't need to bait to see deer, and yes in my state it's against the law anyway.  I believe IL. outlawed baiting, when CWD was found in WIS. , so the disease wouldn't cross the state border as quickly.  P.S. Haven't you heard , human urine attracts just as many deer as store bought deer hunting scents.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:42 am

Call it what you want what ever makes you feel better about yourself.. No I havnt heard human urine attracts deer you keep urinating by your stand its not for me.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions